Losing HD Absolute. Any suggestions?

Please note that DirecTV will also have increases. Therefore, if you want to go with them, you may want to try soon before the base package increases to lock in your price for a year. I think there is an online promotion although I am not sure if it is still there for $5/month off online.

In addition, DirecTV receiver fees are also changing. $6 for the first two receivers and then $6 for each additional.

I would also like to point out that the first year will seem cheap, but remember that the second year will not have those promotional prices.

Mojo it is neat, is the same as the DTVPAL DVR, it can record two HD OTA channels at the same time while you watch another recorded show and has a 7 day guide. It is also very stable. Great picture quality and many of the functions Dish receivers have like skip 30 sec... and no monthly fees!

Mojo it is neat, is the same as the DTV PALDVR, it can record two HD OTA channels at the same time while you watch another recorded show and has a 7 day guide. It is also very stable. Great picture quality and many of the functions Dish receivers have like skip 30 sec...

I was going to say that the channel remote looks very similar, too. :)

If you have an old computer, you can construct your own DVR for abut $50 by purchasing a MYHD MDP-130 HD card from EBay. I have made four of these and since they are "hardware" cards, they are stable as the sun coming up. Just got off an internet chat on the DishNetwork web site:

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you...
Welcome to DISH Network Chat.
(03) MKtecha Ruby R.FEB: How may I help you?

: I just received a letter in the mail, supposedly from Dish, indicating that the HD Absolute package we have had for quite some time will be phased out as of February 1. Is this information correct?

(03) MKtecha Ruby R.FEB: I'd be happy to assist you with your concern.
(03) MKtecha Ruby R.FEB: Please give me 2 minutes while I pull up your account and assist you further.
(03) MKtecha Ruby R.FEB: Please give me just 1-2 minutes while I check the information for you.
(03) MKtecha Ruby R.FEB: I am sorry for the wait time. On February 1st, we will be making some business changes. We do not yet know all of the changes that will be occurring; however, you will receive more detailed information about our changes in your February statement.

: Based on the letter, my new programming and hardware charges will be going up from $56 a month to $96 a month. UNACCEPTABLE!

(03) MKtecha Ruby R.FEB: I understand.
(03) MKtecha Ruby R.FEB: I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.
(03) MKtecha Ruby R.FEB: We will keep you updated as soon as we have the details.
(03) MKtecha Ruby R.FEB: I am sorry we really do not have information yet.

: WE are long term customers, becoming DishNetwork customers in April of 1997. By the way I OWN all my equipment, so if (WHEN) we drop Dish, the receivers will not be returned to you. Just so that this is understood.

: Thanks for your time. You might want to pass along to Dish management that their upcoming changes will cost them a LOT of long term customers.

(03) MKtecha Ruby R.FEB: I understand.
(03) MKtecha Ruby R.FEB: I assure you that we will let us know if there will be changes as soon as we have the details.
(03) MKtecha Ruby R.FEB: You're welcome. It was a pleasure assisting you today!
(03) MKtecha Ruby R.FEB: Is there anything else that I can assist you with?

: Thanks for your time. Just needed to vent. Looks like we will be going with Netflix streaming over the internet...

(03) MKtecha Ruby R.FEB: I understand. You're always welcome. I can assure you that Dishnetwork still offers the best value for your money and we have the best equipment in the industry.

: Bye

If you have an old computer, you can construct your own DVR for abut $50 by purchasing a MYHD MDP-130 HD card from EBay. I have made four of these and since they are "hardware" cards, they are stable as the sun coming up.

Another neat option. :)

Myth TV is also a good one!!

Perhaps check into Shaw.:)

If you have an old computer, you can construct your own DVR for abut $50 by purchasing a MYHD MDP-130 HD card from EBay. I have made four of these and since they are "hardware" cards, they are stable as the sun coming up.

Little more involved than that. First, I don't have an old PC lying around, so I;d have to start from scratch. Add the need for a motherboard, memory, HD, case/PS, and processor, plus HDMI and optical audio, not to mention software, and I'm looking at $500+. Add to that the additional hassles of building/programming the darn thing, and forget it. A tivo would work out of the box. Not only that, but that is single tuner. I'd go with a Hauppauge hvr-2250.

In addition, DirecTV receiver fees are also changing. $6 for the first two receivers
Why has everyone made this sound so difficult.

Directv has always charged $5 addtional receiver fee.
It went up 1 dollar. Its now $6 for addtional receiver Fee.

That doesn't mean your Getting charged $6 extra if you only have one receiver on your account.
Or $3 Each if you only Have 2.

Its called Addtional Receiver Fee "lease Fee"or "Mirror fee"

Was $5 its Now $6!

• 2 Room System is $6 Was $5
  • 3 Room system is $12 Was $10
  • 4 room System is $18 Was $15
  • 5 Room System is $24 Was $20
  • 6 Room System is $30 Was $25
Add this to your Base pack Price
Add $10 for HD
Add $7 for DVR

Last edited:
for those of us with a 622.. is there any D* DVR that supports 2 TVs?
Yea its called 2 HD DVRs
With this setup you can record 2 shows at once ,while watching 2 live shows at once.
Or record 4 Shows at once, while watching 2 pre-recored shows

Difference is , with 2 HD DVR's your getting 4 Satellite tuners instead of Dish Networks 622,722k 2 satellite Tuners only for 2 rooms to share.
The 622 can only record 1 show and watch 1 show through satellite. And one of the rooms has to watch the show that being recored.

Or 1 HD DVR and 1 HD receiver with MRV
Difference with the MRV setup , you'll have 3 Satellite Tuners to share Between 2 rooms, but you can also watch what you have recorded in both rooms,as well as record in both rooms.

Last edited:
no, you need 2 recievers 1 hddvr and 1 regular

Just to add to this comment, also D* doesn't charge you $17 for a second receiver like E* does. You can add a second HDDVR or HD receiver and it's $5 for the second receiver, well $6.00 comes Feb. 1st. The first receiver has no charge.

Funny timing. A Comcast guy just showed up at my front door and said that they have a new HD receiver that can handle four separate televisions at the same time. But I am still going to go the Netflix route. Dish Network's time has past in my family. I am kind of sad. Since the days of the old model 4000 receiver and my self installation of my first dish and getting five relatives to come on board, it seems that Dish has always been a part of our family. I even used to regularly tune in to the Charlie Chats to rejoice in a channel or two added every now and then. But after the Voom fiasco and now the Absolute fiasco, I guess this is goodbye for good. Since I own my receivers, does anyone know if programming saved to an external hard drive is still playable on a Dish VIP722k after your Dish subscription lapses? I have 10 terabytes of programming that will keep the LCD humming if this is the situation.

Just got my letter. I guess I shouldn't have bragged to so many people about my $29.99 plan. I still don't think it's right they can just cancel your plan like that.

Yea its called 2 HD DVRs
With this setup you can record 2 shows at once ,while watching 2 live shows at once.
Or record 4 Shows at once, while watching 2 pre-recored shows

Difference is , with 2 HD DVR's your getting 4 Satellite tuners instead of Dish Networks 622,722k 2 satellite Tuners only for 2 rooms to share.
The 622 can only record 1 show and watch 1 show through satellite. And one of the rooms has to watch the show that being recored.

Or 1 HD DVR and 1 HD receiver with MRV
Difference with the MRV setup , you'll have 3 Satellite Tuners to share Between 2 rooms, but you can also watch what you have recorded in both rooms,as well as record in both rooms.

Thanks. From what I'm reading, it sounds like the best option is to buy 2 HD-DVRs, but to insist (as much as you can) to get HR24s? Then if you need OTA antennas, get AM21 modules for both. Then, if you have the whole house DVR plan, you have up to 4 streams that can be watched/recorded at any time. I hadn't even heard of the DirecTV2PC program until today, but that might be worth using my halfway HTPC for in a room that won't have a receiver.

I'm assuming that if you do get two HR24s, you get a total of 1TB of hard drive space and four streams that you can watch/record anywhere in your home network? And the DirecTV Cinema is their PPV, but they also have some old shows that you can watch, a la Netflix.

Still a lot to wrap my head around. I just wish you could confirm exactly what receiver you're getting. If I switch, I want to make sure I get the latest equipment that I can. I have ethernet wired to every room in the house, so is that a way to get around buying receivers for every room in the future if I have 2 HD-DVRs with the whole house DVR package?

My wife just called and we apparently got the letter about losing our Absolute package. This is a really sad day. I'll probably take 120+HD and with the 12-months of credits we should be fine until we find a better option.

I love my 622, but I got it right after they came out and it isn't going to last much longer anyway...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)