Losing HD Absolute. Any suggestions?

I am one of those Absoluters who got the letter but sat queitly and didn't take the Dish calls, so after Feb 1st, I was switched to AT200. Today, my new bill printed online in my account, and here is what it is showing (I have 1 DVR 722 ):

One time charges
Feb 05 HD Platinum - Fee 12 MO 0.00

Monthly Charges
Feb 19-Mar18 America Top 200 59.99
DVR service fee 6.00
HD200 Free 0.00
_________

Other Charges and Credits
Feb 01 Loyalty Offer 1 of 12 -10.00
Feb 01 CR: Programing $10X12 -10.00
_________

Total Due by Feb 25, 2010 45.99

So, my bill went from 35.99 (for Absolute + DVR) to 45.99

Did anyone else see their new bill in their account online??

Also, it seems I am getting two $10.00 credits above and beyond the Free Platinum, or is the 2nd $10.00 credit for the Platinum?? I am confused, it seems my bill went up 10 per month for the next 12 months, so please post what you guys see in yours.

Thanks

Last edited:
Did you press the buttons to cancel your service? That's the only way to get to loyalty through the prompts.
That's not true. You can say cancel service. OR just do what TheTony did.

I went through the prompts yesterday and made it to the loyalty dept and got setup to cancel Monday.

That's not true. You can say cancel service. OR just do what TheTony did.

I went through the prompts yesterday and made it to the loyalty dept and got setup to cancel Monday.

Please quit replying to my posts. Just put me on ignore if you must.

You cannot get to the loyalty dept. by just pressing the prompts for the billing dept. as Tony did, you'll get a regular CSR. You need to press cancel, OR if you are using voice prompts you can say cancel, obviously.

Glad you could figure out the prompts yourself !!!

Way to go! :up

Give yourself a pat on the back.

My PM to you was right on the money.......

Last edited:

Also, it seems I am getting two $10.00 credits above and beyond the Free Platinum, or is the 2nd $10.00 credit for the Platinum?? I am confused, it seems my bill went up 10 per month for the next 12 months, so please post what you guys see in yours.

Thanks
My online bill looks like yours EXCEPT Dish did not apply the extra $10 "Loyalty Offer" :( Despite the fact that I've been on Autopay and never missed a payment, etc.

The discount people are getting varies from $10-20. Some people (like you) get the higher amount ($20off) automatically, others have to threaten to switch to Direct. The sleazy way Dish is handling the HD Absolute close out, makes me wonder if Dish execs are really just used car sales want-a-bees.

We still haven't decided what we'll do. But one thing is certain, we will NOT paying Dish more than $50/mo. since Dish doesn't have our most watched channel (our local PBS) in HD.

Talon Dancer

TheTony said he got to the loyalty dept., not a regular CSR. You said it was the only way through the prompts. If other readers went of that info it wouldn't be accurate.

You are the one who wanted to be a stickler in the first place.

TheTony said he got to the loyalty dept., not a regular CSR. You said it was the only way through the prompts. If other readers went of that info it wouldn't be accurate.

You are the one who wanted to be a stickler in the first place.

Thanks. I'm not certain it was actually the loyalty department, but that's how the rep identified herself. I was actually a little suprised, since I figured I'd just be talking to a run-of-the-mill CSR (which she very may well have been, based on her knowledge level). When I call back I'll be sure to get to loyalty by using the cancel prompt. I'm aware of that tack, but I figured they'd be reasonable and meet my request without me having to threaten to leave. Silly me!
I also figured I'd get better results during the day, which is why I ended the call without agreeing to anything.

Here, I enlarged the type so you can read it.

You do not get to the loyalty department by simply going through the billing prompt. You can be forwarded to them by the billing dept., or any dept.

Knowledgeable people know the fastest way to the loyalty department is going through the "cancel" prompt. Others here have said the same in this thread. Even Tony himself said this in his post above.

How did you get there? By going through the cancel prompt, right?

When will you finally be gone???? Monday? :clap:clap:clap:clap

Can't come soon enough.

You will be able to enlighten our brethren on the Direct forum with your pearls of wisdom.

Last edited:
He said it was the loyalty dept first, and that's what she said as well. You can second guess and get all upset, but I'm just going off of this:

I called back tonight to make some changes and try to get additional credit (even $5 more would have placated me). Went through the billing prompt on the IVR and got to a rep who identified herself as being with the loyalty dept.

You might want to cool your jets. I'll be gone Sunday at midnight. :)

I am one of those Absoluters who got the letter but sat queitly and didn't take the Dish calls, so after Feb 1st, I was switched to AT200. Today, my new bill printed online in my account, and here is what it is showing (I have 1 DVR 722 ):

One time charges

Monthly Charges
DVR service fee 6.00
HD200 Free 0.00
_________

_________

So, my bill went from 35.99 (for Absolute + DVR) to 45.99

Thanks
Good for you!

Your credits of $10 are not for the HD Platinum.

I saw my bill online and only had one $10 credit, not 2. It also had the line item "HD Platinum - Fee 12 MO 0.00". You might be able to keep the $20 credits and switch to Dish America Silver and have your monthly price be the same for the first year if you are okay with the channels. That was what I was considering but didn't get the credit to keep it the same cost.

Good for you!

Your credits of $10 are not for the HD Platinum.

I saw my bill online and only had one $10 credit, not 2. It also had the line item "HD Platinum - Fee 12 MO 0.00". You might be able to keep the $20 credits and switch to Dish America Silver and have your monthly price be the same for the first year if you are okay with the channels. That was what I was considering but didn't get the credit to keep it the same cost.

------

Thanks for checking and the reply, you are the 2nd person who seems to have not gotten this extra credit, but this makes me wonder why they gave it to me in the first place with out me asking.
One possibility is that back in August of 2009, my initial contract was up and I had received a mailer to renew my subscription for 2 more years, so I called them and the rep. gave me a renewal (HD Absolute) with a $5 monthly credit for 12 months (have already expired). However, my contract term lasts till August of 2011. So, when Dish switched me now to AT200 they technically broke that contract (same if I had called them to cancel before August 2011). This may be the loyalty credit that is showing in my bill. I was planning to call them and read them the riot act for braking the contract anyway, but your feedback has been very helpfull. I am also likely to switch down to the AT120+ because it includes a nice sports package, especially since we are getting Platinum for next 12 months free.

We all know this elimination of Absolute is just a veiled round about way to double our rates (after the credits expire). I don't watch any SD channels, none!

Last edited:
If you need more than OTA, I still think Dish is the best option. I am settling with OTA and Netflix for the time being.

I do have to say that I'm impressed with the quality of OTA HD, much better than dish and cable companies.

When this next year is up, and I lose the $10/month credit, and the free Platinum (ie. a $20/month increase), I will likely pursue this route as well. Hopefully Hulu will get more contracts settled for content too.. that has been very up and down.

I didn't switch to Directv after milking as much of a credit as I could from Dish. My biggest fear though was losing out on the discounts that were offered, especially the $180 cash card at Costco.

I just checked, and the offers have been extended until July. D* did bump their rates a couple of dollars, but the intro discount keeps them where they were before yesterday. I thought people would like to know they still have an alternative, and probably will after the credits run out.

One time charges

Monthly Charges
DVR service fee 6.00
HD200 Free 0.00
_________

_________

Thanks

You were a lucky one. Most of us only received the $10 off. Some of us got an additional $5-10 off by calling in and negotiating/fighting with them, others it did not work for them.

Last edited:
You were a lucky one. Most of us only received the $10 off. Some of us got an additional $5-10 off by calling in and negotiating/fighting with them, others it did not work for them.

Maybe he ordered a bunch of PPV or never b!tched about the ridiculously low SD picture quality.Hahahaha
But, anyways i just looked at my online account and it's "now" only showing a $10 credit instead of the $20 credit it showed previously. I'll wait for my new monthly statement to be generated to see if it contains both promised (10x12,10x6) credits before i call and B!tch!

Guess I'm a lucky one too. I'm getting 20 in credits per month. So I'm paying only for the Latino Max package for a year. I did have to have some long chat sessions to do it but worth it. I also get the free Starz for a yr.

Guess I'm a lucky one too. I'm getting 20 in credits per month. So I'm paying only for the Latino Max package for a year. I did have to have some long chat sessions to do it but worth it. I also get the free Starz for a yr.

Yeah, but he got his automatically. The rest of us had to jump through hoops to get ours, if at all.

Maybe he ordered a bunch of PPV or never b!tched about the ridiculously low SD picture quality.Hahahaha
But, anyways i just looked at my online account and it's "now" only showing a $10 credit instead of the $20 credit it showed previously. I'll wait for my new monthly statement to be generated to see if it contains both promised (10x12,10x6) credits before i call and B!tch!

I did neither , that is never ordered PPV (except for the 3 free ones I got for refering a friend to Dish) and never bitched about the quality of the SD channels because I only watch HD channels (the reason I was in Absolute to begin with).

However, back to your comment about looking at your online account and seeing $10 credit instead of $20, mine doesn't show any credits , it shows my current subcriptions and their standard costs only, however the credits do show up when I view my bill online (which by the way showed up in the mail yesterday anyway).

Here is what mine shows:
Current Programming America's Top 200
DVR Service
HD 200 Free
DISH Platinum - Free 12 Mo
Monthly Charges $65.99 (excludes taxes/credits)

Can you see your Febuary bill online yet?

Are you getting Free Platinum for 12 months as well, or just Starz?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)