Losing HD Absolute. Any suggestions?

Spoken like a future Directv'er!:D Serious, i got $34 off first year plus Showtime for a year due to the 2nd year written quote being 5 bucks higher than the verbal given at time of order. Not to mention the 3 mo's HBO,MAX and Starz. And then there is an additional 10 bucks off the centurylink bundle. I hope! Or from what i've been told by both companies. But sadly, I won't know for sure until everythings installed and the first bill comes. :D
Thinking about looking at it. It might be something to see how they compare on what I watch 99.5% HD.

Thinking about looking at it. It might be something to see how they compare on what I watch 99.5% HD.

Yeah, they're missing a few channels that Dish has. G4 and i think TRutv also. The EPIX are a no go too. But, they got more of the premiums. Which we always sub to at least one. The HMC (hr34) thread is scaring me as it's sounding like it may not have been quite ready. I don't know, but mine should be coming soon. :eek:

Yeah, they're missing a few channels that Dish has. G4 and i think TRutv also. The EPIX are a no go too. But, they got more of the premiums. Which we always sub to at least one. The HMC (hr34) thread is scaring me as it's sounding like it may not have been quite ready. I don't know, but mine should be coming soon. :eek:
Yep definitely gonna look at D* only being offered what I've stated or 3 mn free of BB@home (no contract) but the whole thing is I don't care about that since my bro isn't happy with it. He just dropped it. My next bill isn't due until the 11th so I've time to compare w/o deciding. May be time to talk to retention.

Yep definitely gonna look at D* only being offered what I've stated or 3 mn free of BB@home (no contract) but the whole thing is I don't care about that since my bro isn't happy with it. He just dropped it. My next bill isn't due until the 11th so I've time to compare w/o deciding. May be time to talk to retention.

My wife called retention. The guy said, "No deals! Credits are already maxed out!" We'll be making our final call on March 3rd after the Directv install. I'm sure they'll have a deal then.:D But, it'll be too late. My original install date was set for the 7th. But, i bumped it up to the 3rd as Dish's billing cycle begins on the 5th. I don't want to owe them anything and auto-pay has been cancelled.;)

My wife called retention. The guy said, "No deals! Credits are already maxed out!" We'll be making our final call on March 3rd after the Directv install. I'm sure they'll have a deal then.:D But, it'll be too late. My original install date was set for the 7th. But, i bumped it up to the 3rd as Dish's billing cycle begins on the 5th. I don't want to owe them anything and auto-pay has been cancelled.;)
Guess I'm gonna have to start reading the HR34 the D* forum. I just compared the channels tween the two and I will have all but 1 channel in HD that I watch most of the time. And maybe D* will bump up BBCA to HD soon. Also will look at what the Xtra package (HD) involves. And for those that called me a E* fan boy does this sound like one? :tongue:

I just scheduled for Monday (the 27th).

EDIT: what the best process for cancelling Dish? Is it instant? ie. since they aren't coming out to disconnect, right? If instant, I guess I can wait until the DTV install is complete and working, then call. I have the original box for my 622 to send it back.

I just scheduled for Monday (the 27th).

EDIT: what the best process for cancelling Dish? Is it instant? ie. since they aren't coming out to disconnect, right? If instant, I guess I can wait until the DTV install is complete and working, then call. I have the original box for my 622 to send it back.

My install is scheduled for tomorrow. I'll cancel after DirecTV has everything hooked up and working. Should be an easy install for the guy as I have at least 2 RG-6's with a CAT5e wall-fished to each room's TV location (some locations have more). All going to a central board with power available there as well. I'll actually be simplifying things a good bit with the new setup. I'll be glad to get that loud 722 out of my bedroom! ;)

I'll be packing up my receivers myself and sending them back for a cheaper price than what they want.

I called Dish today cause I wanted BBCA and FX. Well after taking to two reps who had no clue. I mean one told me to upgrade from my 622 to a 722 so I could get HD for life for free. :eek: That's went I on line and I didn't like the right prices he was giving me. But they all wanted to charger me for HDFL.
So I call retention they told me my HDFL was on my account already. But I had Dish America so that's why it wasn't on my bill.
So the first guy gave me $10 of for 6 months, no commitment.
So AT 200 would $55.99 for 6 months but for some reason I wasn't see that on my bill.
So I called back and this woman (sorry I forgot her name) fixed it and gave it to me for 12 months.:hatsoff: I guess cause I had to call back. I was happy with 6 but 12 is even better.
So now I have AT 200 for a year for $55.99. After that $10 more if I want to keep it.
So I'm happy to stay with Dish.
Also I did check D* website and it would cost me more and get less to switch. :eek:

Last edited:
My bill is just at $50 a month DirecTV. Much cheaper than I had with Dish with 2 DVRs. Have 2 DVRs, 5 tuner and 2 tuner model along with 2 HD receivers. 7 tuners of recording and multiroom viewing is awesome! Plus the rooms without dvrs have their own tuner as well. Dish messed up bad with designing the Hopper with only 3 tuners the making the Joeys with 0 tuners.

Cancelling dish service is very painless and they cancell service immediatly. If you take them up on the shipping back offer, then they will send you a nicepre paid box to put the receiver and remotes and LNB in and they will only charge 15 for the whole thing. If you have the little receivers, it might not be worth it. But if you have a big 722 or one of the heavier models, then its worth it.
As for their retention offers?
Nothing they offered was even close to making me want to stay. 10 off a month and 3 months of starz, thats a joke.

On the bright side everyone in the house is now fighting over Hulu plus programing. My goodness, they keep adding more and more shows daily. Their library is huge.
They even have the entire episode collection of the outer limits( old and new versions). as well as all the star trek shows.

So far everyone in the house has no regrets in ditching the dish.

The one thing I don't like about Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, etc. is it's a pain to find out what has been recently added or expiring soon without searching multiple websites, and while the interfaces for most of them have a "recently added" section, they aren't sorted in any particular order, meaning I see some of the same shows in the recently added section month after month intermixed with the more recent ones, thus I need to spend large amounts of time checking through the whole list looking for anything really new.

I wish they would provide an email notification such as "newly added titles for the week" or something similar.

I must be using some other DirecTV, since it cost me less a month to get more than I had with Dish.

Yeah, same here. I had 2 vip 211's w/ EHD, AT 250 and HBO. $92.99

AT 250 69.99
HBO $16
Extra receiver fee $7

Definetly worth the $72.99 for a yr. But.....now i got 8 tuners and on demand for less. Sure the discounts will end after the second yr. But, "Why Pay More" in the meantime! :D

You ever notice some d-tv people always find it such a threat when someone speaks truths about d-tv.

My only guess is this new technology has got them worried and its release could hurt their bottom line. In fact its the only reason I can think of. Some of these folks doing this are new, but many are longtime members posters and even in some cases Pub Members / Supporters. I wish I had a BS meter for you guys to tune these guys out, but being the open forum we are we are not going to stop people from posting negative things about a product or service unless (and only unless) the post(s) are obvious trolling.

:)
Like Scott said I wish we had one.:eek:

You ever notice some d-tv people always find it such a threat when someone speaks truths about d-tv.

Like Scott said I wish we had one.:eek:

The name doesn't matter to me. I'm not sat-racist in one bit. I could care less if it said Billy Bob's Satellite on the top, as long as it had the features and channels I wanted for less money a month. It's all down to the bottom line for me.

Lame, 2 years ago I had Absolute. They threw me a bone with the 120 pack with Platinum. Now I have no Platinum and a $60 bill. I just got off a chat and all they could offer me was a 3 month $5 credit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)