Losing HD Absolute. Any suggestions?

Of course that's true... For me, NatGeo, History, Epix, HD Net, HDTheatre, and more are my favorites. It will suck...

Check out this HD channel lineup comparison -

View attachment Focus On DISH Network HD.pdf

View attachment dish_latino_max+sportspak_vs_top250_comparision_color.xls

Is Dish Latino Max in English. I don't speak Spanish.

Yes, most of the channels are English.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/Channel-Lineup/OnlineChannel_Latino.pdf

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/packages/spanishProgramming/DLMax.pdf

Last edited:

Good info. Thanks
Only problem is Latino max is missing NBATV and Science HD.
gah.gif
:D

I received my letter today. Not sure what I'm going to do, will need to research I guess, as I don't have many options. Direct TV does not offer locals in my area and can't get over the air without expense of tall rooftop antenna, our one and only cable company (Bresnan) is horrible, only 34 channels, not digital, can't get HD and they want $50 for this, plus poor picture quality. I was sure hoping that we would not lose Absolute. A sad day.

I see another site was foubting if the information posted here was real as was the copy of the letter that was posted.

I confirmed with DISH that YES HD Absolute is going away.

DISH was actually losing money on it over the last year and it was also an issue for them in contract talks with programmers who wanted customers to get all their feeds (HD and SD.)

It was an EXCELLENT deal for the many years it was available.

To the other site doubting the information, you should never doubt our information here at SatelliteGuys.US, after all you guys seem to copy and paste our information over there anyways so I don't understand the doubt. They were even doubting the price increase press release which was sent to me by Marc Lumpkin of DISH Networks PR department.

When people want the real satellite news they come to SatelliteGuys first... even the other guys do. :D

I understand Dish is losing money on this pack, why can't they make it up in volume:D

I think we should hold a service for the soon to be departed Absolute pack, I'm sure gonna miss it (well, I'm gonna miss cheap sat service....). I'm leaning toward Direct, the numbers I've crunched show Dish & Direct would be about the same for the next 2 years (comparing Top 200 & Direct Choice Extra). I'm also unhappy (though not surprised) that the "specially trained csr's" can't even tell you how much discount you'll get, according to several subs postings. How the heck can you make a decision if you can't even get all the facts! I haven't called yet, gotta get in the right frame of mind before I do.

Has anyone actually switched from HD Absolute to a Dish America package since the letters came out? If so, did the 'deal' include Platinum for 1 yr at no cost? And what did Locals cost?

I ask because I thought the Dish Americas HD packages were grandfathered, like HD Absolute was. IOW they were not available to new subs. But they do show up as options on my account page. So maybe....

Talon Dancer

Has anyone actually switched from HD Absolute to a Dish America package since the letters came out? If so, did the 'deal' include Platinum for 1 yr at no cost? And what did Locals cost?

I ask because I thought the Dish Americas HD packages were grandfathered, like HD Absolute was. IOW they were not available to new subs. But they do show up as options on my account page. So maybe....

Talon Dancer

it makes one wonder if a jump to the DA packages just means yet another letter forcing you off of that 1 year from now ;(

EDIT: No BBC America in the DA pkgs?

Last edited:
Argh.. had hoped this issue was gone for a while.

Currently have Absolute + one 622 (connected to an HDTV downstairs, and SDTV upstairs). No plans to change the HW.

We have enough channels that we watch on the middle tier that our minimum conversion would be either

(promotional price/long term price, ignoring taxes)
$55 $55 America's top 200, any discount???
$6 $6 DVR fee
$0 $0 HD for Life free as part of being evicted from Absolute
$0 $10 Platinum, 12 month discount
$6 $6 service plan
$67 $77 total before tax

OR

$45 $45 Dish America Silver
$6 $6 DVR fee
$0 $0 HD for Life would seem to be meaningless for Dish America pkgs, but I guess we should make sure it gets added to the acct anyway
$0 $10 Platinum, 12 month discount
$6 $6 service plan
$57 $67 total before tax

at the "after promotions expire" pricing, that's a >$20 increase vs. my Absolute cost now.

As I look at the alternatives:

TWC doesn't even list prices for their lower tiers on the website (you have to call).. but it looks like TWC with HD DVR will be > $80/month, so that is out.

DirectTV.. what is the most equivalent to the 622.. ie. the fact that it can serve 2 TVs (1 HD, 1 SD) and both have access to the same DVR material?

$34 $59 Choice ($25 credit for 12 months)
$10 $10 HD access
$7 $7 DVR service
$3 $3 Whole home DVR
$5 $5 2nd rcvr fee
-$5 $0 new year promotion discount for 12 months
$54 $84 total before tax

am I finding the closest match there at DirectTV for a 622 (2 TV's, with access to DVR material) + Absolute customer?

My setup is similar to yours except I don't have the service plan; here's my thinking for looking at Direct: Choice Xtra Package & Programming, after discounts & referral: $35 month, 1st-10th month; $45 month, 11 & 12; $56 month 13 thru 24. I'm rounding up, no tax included. This would avg $46.33 month for 24 months, the term of the contract.

You get a better deal if you choose the xtra pack with whole house dvr service because you get free hd (instead of $10 mo), it does cost $3 extra + you have to have a 2nd receiver which is $5 mo, but still saving $2 month. Make sure you factor in all the discounts available, there is a $100 referral discount ($10 mo for 10 months) for you & another Direct sub, you need to get their Direct acct # or you can order the service thru one of SatGuys great sponsor, Claude @ the Dish Store, he is offering up to a $125 rebate if you sign up w/cc autopay & get your bills online, you also get the same discounts that Direct is offering on their website (I forget the exact terms but it's worth checking into; I'd go this route except I gotta repay a big favor to a neighbor with Direct). If you belong to AAA, you can get a $200 discount ($10 mo for 20 months, you won't get the referral discount or Dishstore rebate of course).

I'm figuring Dish will be for Top200: $60 month (effective 2/1/11) + $7 dvr fee = $67 month; I get Platinum free for a year, and get $10 (?) off for a year, I'm still paying $62 a month avg for 24 months, so Dish would cost ~$16 more per month for the 2 years. Kinda seems like a no brainer when looking at it from a $$$ point of view.

I think it would be a good move (and probably save some subs) for Dish to treat us like new subs and give us the deals they get, sure you hafta sign a contract but gotta do that with Direct also. I think it's real cheesy for Dish not to know how much discount, and for how long, the Absolute subs will be offered. I don't wanna hear "check back after 2/1", what kinda deal is that:confused:

In looking at my options, I started looking at Suddenlink (local cable here) and saw an article that they released the TV Premier XL HD DVR in Lubbock and Midland last month. I live in nearby Abilene so I'm sure it's sure to follow here shortly. I can't find much in terms of comparisons to the 722 I have now but I like a lot of the features it advertises. Anyone know of any comparative reviews or any real experiences?

it makes one wonder if a jump to the DA packages just means yet another letter forcing you off of that 1 year from now ;(

EDIT: No BBC America in the DA pkgs?

I do not think that BBC America is in the Dish America packages unless something has changed.
I believe BBC America SD and HD is included in the following packages: Dish Latino Max (currently $52.99), America's Top 200 (currently $54.99), and America's Top 250 (currently $64.99).

I just purchased a Roku XD before Christmas and find it remarkable. It costs $8.99 a month for Netflix and $7.99 a month for Hulu Plus. They have a few other pay channels like $3.00 a year if you want to watch all the old 30's and 40's movies and other specific channels like that for a couple of bucks. Between the Roku and antenna, as soon as I find an HDMI-compatible DVR solution then Dish is gone!

Attachments

• Dish eglish pkgs.png
    Dish eglish pkgs.png
    42.9 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
I just got off the phone with Dish, not totally happy but I kind of knew this day would eventually come. I switched to Dish America Silver with Platinum addon free for 1 year. Here's the break down of before and after costs:

Before:
722k Receiver serving two TVs ($6)
Dish Absolute ($29.99)
Total monthly bill + tax = $35.99

After:
722k Receiver serving two TVs ($6)
Dish America Silver ($44.99)
HD Platinum addon ($10.00)
$10 credit for one year for Platinum
Total = 50.99 + tax per month for the first year

Notes: I spoke to two different reps, there's no $10 credit for the core package. Also Platinum won't go live on my account until February 1st (I'm not really sure why but I intend to use chat to see if I can get that changed)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts