Losing HD Absolute. Any suggestions?

The CSR I spoke to yesterday, the first thing he asked was whether I wanted to keep an all HD package or go to the AT packages.

It sounded like the credit applies whatever package you change to, but that is a question well worth exploring.

So they are lying. Its not a matter of keeping an all HD pack if they keep Dish America.

What happens to the DVR if you put your account on hold? I'm sure they turn the sat programming off but do they send some kind of kill so the OTA won't record also?

... for as long as the plan existed.

No one promised to keep the HD Absolute plan forever. They could've killed the plan on 08/01/2008 when they discontinued it and they could've moved all of us to another plan and that would've been legal. Instead, they "grandfathered" it and kept it alive for a long time. They continued adding every new HD channel for another six months or so. And then for another two years, although they stopped adding every HD channel, they kept the plan alive and even added some more channels to it, while keeping the low price.

As far as I am concerned, I do believe I was treated fairly by Dish. I am not angry at them for finally killing HD Absolute (certainly not as much as I was when they killed VOOM).
But this doesn't mean that I will keep them just because of that. They are free to change their plans - I am free to change service providers. It's a free market! :D

The Absolute HD plan was offered from February 2008 to August 2008. The promotion made no mention of Dish Network getting rid of Absolute HD in 3 year’s time. I expected a price increase or a modification to the Absolute HD plan, but not complete removal of the plan. I’ve had cell phone plans that stayed the same to this (over 10 years) day. The plan that I have with my cell phone provider is no longer offered to new customers, but people who already have it, get to keep it. The price of the cell phone plan even stayed the same, without any price increases. If cell phone companies are able to do this, why can’t Dish Network? I would have NEVER signed up with Dish Network’s Absolute HD plan, had they told me up front they were going to completely get rid of it in 3 years. How many readers in this forum would purchase a service that would be removed from the market place in 3 year’s time, just because the vendor says so, and not due to market availability?

I don’t understand how you could equate the lost of VOOM package to the Absolute HD package. VOOM went bankrupt. Most of VOOM’s channels are not available in the market place. I understand why Dish Network got rid of the VOOM channels; the supplier no longer provides its content.

[FONT=&quot]I’m not angry with Dish Network. I just find their business practices unprofessional. Dish Network has every right to change their plans, BUT they don’t have the right to change my plan, by “forcing” me to take the America’s Top 200 programming package. You are correct I’m free to change providers, and I will do so. Even if the plan costs more than Dish Network, at least I know they won’t completely yank it away from me. [/FONT]

... for as long as the plan existed.

No one promised to keep the HD Absolute plan forever. They could've killed the plan on 08/01/2008 when they discontinued it and they could've moved all of us to another plan and that would've been legal. Instead, they "grandfathered" it and kept it alive for a long time. They continued adding every new HD channel for another six months or so. And then for another two years, although they stopped adding every HD channel, they kept the plan alive and even added some more channels to it, while keeping the low price.

As far as I am concerned, I do believe I was treated fairly by Dish. I am not angry at them for finally killing HD Absolute (certainly not as much as I was when they killed VOOM).
But this doesn't mean that I will keep them just because of that. They are free to change their plans - I am free to change service providers. It's a free market! :D

C'mon, really??? The plan only started 02/01/08. You're saying they could have switched us after only 6 months with the plan??? Then they would have REALLY looked like the douchebags that they are......

I was able to talk with executive support. Like I said in a earlier post...your monthly credit of your package will depend on your status as a customer. If you fight hard enough though you should be able to get at least the $10 credit on your account per month for a year (on top of the free Platinum for a year). From what I was told, the $10 credit only applies to the Americas Top packages...not the HD only Dish America channels.

I was unable to do this. Despite what the wording of the letter implies, the $10 credit *is* the free Platinum, not in addition to. At least that's what I got from 2 different CSRs. And I've been with Dish since Voom's demise (heavy sigh).

Rather than prolonging the experience of banging my head against the wall with Dish's Indian phone support, only to stay with, and ultimately reward a company that wants to bone me for my loyalty, I have opted to leave.

Others' experiences may differ, but as for me I'm done with Dish... at least until the next time 2+ years from now, when I presume it will be DirecTV doing the boning, and Dish will want to give me all sorts of stuff as a "new customer" to come back.

Makes you wonder if the whole paradigm is bass ackwards, as the companies would rather potentially eat equipment and reinstallation costs 2 years down the line rather than simply keep your programming costs level so you would stay and not go to another provider. It seems to me to be very shortsighted.

C'mon, really??? The plan only started 02/01/08. You're saying they could have switched us after only 6 months with the plan??? Then they would have REALLY looked like the douchebags that they are......
I am not saying this would've been a good thing for them to do, but legally, satellite and cable companies can change their plans and programming whenever they choose to. That's usually written in their service contracts. Whether we like that or not. :(

BUT they don’t have the right to change my plan, by “forcing” me to take the America’s Top 200 programming package. You are correct I’m free to change providers, and I will do so. Even if the plan costs more than Dish Network, at least I know they won’t completely yank it away from me.
Dish isn't "forcing" you into anything.

You can take:

Dish America
  • Bronze
  • Sliver
  • Gold
America Top
  • 120+
Or you can switch providers.

Many choices!

You all knew this day would come!
Just be happy you saved a ton of money while the rest of the subscribers got hit with more price increases,lost HD channels just so you guys could have you unrealistic $30 per month package for 3 1/2 years.

Your all getting another year of credits,and you got plenty of notice.
Way more then most NON Absolute subscribers are getting for thier price increases and dropped channels.

Last edited:
View attachment 60342
Above is an Excel worksheet comparing the lower tiers of programming.

Thanks for providing the information.

After learning what other alternative packages are also available, I used the Excel worksheet and modified it to compare the Dish Absolute to the Dish America and HD Platinum packages. For me, if I decide to stay with Dish, my best choice seems to do a downgrade to this option. I’ll lose two channels I enjoy watching, but I can’t justify paying a huge increase in price just to keep The Science Channel and National Geographic; especially when most of the programs can now be viewed by streaming over the internet, or a P2P download.

In comparing Dish Absolute with America + HD Platinum, 41 channels remain the same, 15 channels would be lost, and 3 new channels (Crime & Investigation, Encore Mystery, and Starz Movieplex) would be added with HD Platinum.

Below is the modified Excel worksheet for a visual comparison.

Attachments

• DishPackageComparison.xls
    33 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:
I think I keep seeing suggestions/references of a $5 price increase on Feb 1? But I don't see any big thread about that in the main forum? Just wondering.. as that would influence the pricing all of us are attempting to calculate as we evaluate our alternatives.

In comparing Dish Absolute with America + HD Platinum, 41 channels remain the same, 15 channels would be lost, and 3 new channels (Crime & Investigation, Encore Mystery, and Starz Movieplex) would be added with HD Platinum.

Is this Dish America Bronze?
Encore Mystery??? Thats in the Platinum pack now?

I just got off the phone have tried to move my package and most of the CSR's do not have a clue of whats going on the last one I talked to said the are revaluating the packages until January 31. So everyone call to tell them you are leaving Dishnetwork. Someone may have started litigation? Hold your ground and dont change anything!!!!

Dish Network Electronic Funds Transfer Act EFTA Class Action Lawsuit Complaint | ClassActionLawsuitsInTheNews

The class action wouldn't affect Absolute programming, it's for the early termination fee and how Dish "extracts" it....

I'm wondering if Dish doesn't want Absoluters to change until 2/1, reason being you'll not only have given up your pack, you'll then get hit with the price increase effective 2/1. I'm guessing some of the subs aren't aware of the upcoming increase and by waiting until 2/1 the csr's can quote the price without having to say anything about an increase. I don't typically keep up with prices of packs because I didn't care because I wasn't looking to change (oh yeah Absolute, I was faithful to you, I wouldn't even look at another pack while we were together:rolleyes:).

Thanks for providing the information.

After learning what other alternative packages are also available, I used the Excel worksheet and modified it to compare the Dish Absolute to the Dish America and HD Platinum packages. For me, if I decide to stay with Dish, my best choice seems to do a downgrade to this option. I’ll lose two channels I enjoy watching, but I can’t justify paying a huge increase in price just to keep The Science Channel and National Geographic; especially when most of the programs can now be viewed by streaming over the internet, or a P2P download.

Below is the modified Excel worksheet for a visual comparison.

Great spread sheet, but I do not have Fox News in my Absolute Pack, but thanks for the nice comparison. I think that is the way that I am going also.

I have been a customer for over 14 yrs. But loosing Absolute and not being able to get a straight answer from Dish reps about what is available(incentives to stay) and the upcoming price increase was enough. I switched to Directv today, install on the 22nd. Was going to wait till Feb, but Directv also has a price increase on Feb1 so I wanted to lock in the price before then. Used the Costco site, hope I get the $180 card. Got the referral rebate according to the website. Good luck to all of you that decide to stay with Dish. Hope you get a good deal, I just decided it was time for a change. May be back in 2 years.

Makes you wonder if the whole paradigm is bass ackwards, as the companies would rather potentially eat equipment and reinstallation costs 2 years down the line rather than simply keep your programming costs level so you would stay and not go to another provider. It seems to me to be very shortsighted.

I agree!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)