Losing HD Absolute. Any suggestions?

I've gotten the letter, but I still haven't gotten the call.

Has anyone been able to get an upgrade on the receiver? I currently have a VIP 622 and wouldn't mind going up to a VIP 722 or VIP722k. I don't think I could go for the 922 (or whatever it is) just yet.

I've gotten the letter, but I still haven't gotten the call.

Has anyone been able to get an upgrade on the receiver? I currently have a VIP 622 and wouldn't mind going up to a VIP 722 or VIP722k. I don't think I could go for the 922 (or whatever it is) just yet.

Most likely you'd have to agree to a new 24 month contract to upgrade the hardware.

I don't mind doing that. I like Dish. I don't like having to pay $200 to get a new receiver.

When/If they call you and make an offer, see if they'll give it to you. Don't let them know you like Dish too much! Maybe you can get it in exchange for another discount. Post back and let us know what deal you get.

For somone with a 622 (and only using it for one display), what would one gain by upgrading to a 722/722k?

For somone with a 622 (and only using it for one display), what would one gain by upgrading to a 722/722k?

Larger HDD for 722 and larger HDD & four tuners 2 w/OTA module for the 722k. Also the 722k is a bit different than the 722 but not much, it's basically the little bro of a 922. If they push out new GUI's for it then it would be almost the same as the 922.

Thanks for the reply...so bigger HD and the option for 2 OTA (with the module).

If I'm not mistaken they're also the only ones that support remote viewing (with the Sling adapter), other than the 922 (built-in). Something I'd be interested in, but not at the cost of both upgrading AND paying for the sling adapter.

I've followed those 'losing Absolute' threads in the past that turned out to be just scares. In the past, it seemed only a few people had gotten letters/calls. This time it seems everyone got one... even me. I have a hard time believing that Dish would put this much effort into just scaring its customers.

As far as why would I switch before Feb 1st? Direct's prices are set to go up on the 1st. The way I read in their current promos is that when you sign up, their current prices are locked in for 12 months. For what I'm ordering, that amounts to $84 for the year. If my plan was to stick with Dish, I'd simply wait it out. The package I'd want from Dish is the one that they're supposedly trying to slide us over too automatically anyway.

And again, I was looking for an excuse to jump over to DirecTV for the Whole Home DVR as well as the fact that Absolute didn't really give us all the channels we wanted... just couldn't justify the price difference for the 4 or 5 channels we were missing. We'll see.

I have a couple weeks before the Direct installer gets here so I can still cancel it and stick to what we got. But I'd like to see some confirmation that Absolute is not going anywhere. It seems way more likely that there's some miss communication here somewhere and that instead of saying to customers that if they just stick with Absolute you'd be able to keep it, the CSR should be saying, if you you stick with Absolute you'd be able to keep it until the Feb 1st deadline. Wouldn't be the first time a CSR didn't have the full scoop.

Most likely you'd have to agree to a new 24 month contract to upgrade the hardware.

Ask them to waive the commitment. I've had luck w/ the executive office reps by telling them that I've been loyal to Dish and have no plans to leave, but I absolutely don't want a 24 month commitment hanging over my head in this economy. Hopefully regular CSRs have the ability to waive. Good luck!

I'm also struggling with this decision. About this time of year, I really miss getting the RSNs for the second half of hockey season. Last year I switched over to AT250 to get Versus and the RSNs. At the time I didn't realize they wouldn't let me switch back to Absolute. It took some begging to get it back.

Having go with AT250 in order to get Versus is a dealbreaker for me. Its just too expensive to carry for a channel that only becomes essential to me during hockey playoffs.

The DirectTV lineups and deals through Costco are looking pretty appealing, as is their whole home DVR.

Larger HDD for 722 and larger HDD & four tuners 2 w/OTA module for the 722k. Also the 722k is a bit different than the 722 but not much, it's basically the little bro of a 922. If they push out new GUI's for it then it would be almost the same as the 922.
And Dish's new Sling thingy works with a 722k and NOT the 622.

Talon Dancer

The DirectTV lineups and deals through Costco are looking pretty appealing, as is their whole home DVR.
I diffidently want to add a box to every tv that I don't have now. Also lets not forget all that extra money I just want to throw away.:rolleyes: I'm going to run right out and do that. :eek:

I diffidently want to add a box to every tv that I don't have now. Also lets not forget all that extra money I just want to throw away.:rolleyes: I'm going to run right out and do that. :eek:

I definitely want to keep feeding two of my three expensive HDTVs with SD. Also lets not forget the price is not all that much more to be able to have HD on all three.:rolleyes: I would never want to have that. :eek:

Sarcasm can work both ways. Look man, people have different wants and needs from the TV service. What's wrong with that? You got something positive to add?

I have had Absolute since Jan 2008, but in Aug 2009, I renewed my subscription to Absolute for 2 more years which expires Aug this year. I just got the dreaded letter and read all previous postings, it seems everyone else is out of contract. So, anypne out there that is still under contract like me with Absolute?? What did you do, what did Dish offer when talked to them?

Another question, for the people that have been receiving calls from Dish, did the caller ID identify them as Dish or just showed the 800 number? Because I have been receiving many 800 calls that I don't answer and it seems non leave a message.

I have the 722 (2 TVs) , Absolute with locals, bill is 35.99 /month.
I am debating doing nothing and hoping that they don't switch me automatically! Problem is I will be out of town from Jan 29th till Feb 5th, so won't be around to see what takes place!

I have had Absolute since Jan 2008, but in Aug 2009, I renewed my subscription to Absolute for 2 more years which expires Aug this year. I just got the dreaded letter and read all previous postings, it seems everyone else is out of contract. So, anypne out there that is still under contract like me with Absolute?? What did you do, what did Dish offer when talked to them?

Another question, for the people that have been receiving calls from Dish, did the caller ID identify them as Dish or just showed the 800 number? Because I have been receiving many 800 calls that I don't answer and it seems non leave a message.

I am debating doing nothing and hoping that they don't switch me automatically! Problem is I will be out of town from Jan 29th till Feb 5th, so won't be around to see what takes place!
You may have renewed your commitment to Dish in Aug 2009, but I suspect they didn't renew a commitment to Absolute to you. Dish isn't under any commitment to you (or any of us) to provide Absolute for two years, unless somehow you got Dish to do that. I believe such s "commitment" would probably involve them moving you to Dish America Gold + Platinum, and giving you a credit ($40cr as of 2/1) to bring that price down to $29.99. I suspect you won't actually have a $40 credit added to you account through Aug 2011, like you think you will. Hope you actually do, of course, but I just sort of doubt it.

@ zinay:"Toll Free Call 866-668-8047" was the only thing that appeared on my caller id when Dish called. I wish you the best in being able to keep Absolute, but from my conservation with Dish, it seems unlikely.

Bad news: Dish is "divorcing" you and keeping the Absolute package.
Good news: You get to pick another package that meets the minimum requirement to complete your commitment with Dish.
More bad news: The package you pick will cost more than Absolute.

The standard wording in these contracts is something to the effect, "prices and programming subject to change". See which pack you like, and at what price point you can live with. You may actually have the sympathy factor working for you since you are still under contract, kinda like saying to Dish (in a nice way),
"gee, I'm still under contract for ___ months and I'm losing the pack I signed up for, can I get ____ package for a similar price to what I was paying with Absolute." Let us know how it works out.

This does not include the actual channels listing and it also has my single DVR fee (yours may vary) but the base costs between america's top and dish america is quite drastic.

I didn't factor 120+ and Everything package because I have no interest, the cost/channel uses the base cost minus DVR or any other fees.

I'm looking to see if the quality of the channels is really that different. If someone has an HD channel breakdown between all the packages that would help to see the differences in channels. I'm not concerned about SD.

http://j.mp/ehDkqA

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts