Losing HD Absolute. Any suggestions?

I have a lifetime Series2 SD unit, which I never got a chance to put to eBay. I need to put in the 500GB drive. Anyways, they still offer lifetime on HD unit once in a while.
Either $12/month or $19/month depending on what you pay upfront, which is why I would like to find a lifetime subscription Tivo. The lifetime subscription has no monthly charge.

I was just pointing out that the channel lineup was (and still is) incorrect. I didn't even look at the bottom calculations. I ran many of my own calcs and keep coming up with different numbers, but I'm switching anyway to Choice Xtra with all the offers I've heard of combined (except for the signup vendor. I chose Costco instead of the visa card or other vendor offers).

Edit:
The 2nd year price doesn't seem right. It's $63.99 now and going up to $65.99 (?) minus the $14/mo credit for the second year is about $50/mo. If you subtract the $180 like you did from the 2nd year to make it look better, you end up with $35/mo for year #2. That's with no extra costs for a 2nd receiver ($5), MRV ($10: whole home + DVR). So my average is $50 for year #2 and $37 for year #1 looking at it in the way you have on the spreadsheet. I also opted for HD-DVR on my second TV which costs $99 up front. I'll pay the same for the first year as I was paying ($10/mo savings from my current programming, but basically offset by the cost for the 2nd HD-DVR receiver), and pay $6 less per month for the second year than I'd be paying if I stayed. Plus I'll have HD on TV2 & more channels that I'd like to watch. Though I'm not looking forward to losing my recordings (not that many when it really comes down to it, and I'm not looking forward to the bill for year #3 (I'll have to do something about that before it comes).

No need if you change the 2 I mentioned.
I just pointed out the two you said. I offered you editing rights, you declined.

In your spreadsheet: 2nd yr. $34.99*12=419.88-$180=$239.88/12=$19.99/mo
How can you get 2nd yr D* 'Choice Extra' for $34.99 ?
I thought the price will be regular at $65.99 after the ending of 1st yr promotion offers. Also, the 2nd yr $14/mo off is based on zip code, (not in no-cal either)

If anyone want's editing rights PM me. It's the average price. You will pay more, but put into account you paid a LOT less certain months. Like I said try a different zip. No promises...I put into account all the money I would lose on equipment.

For just a little more than the CM7000/DTVPAL price of $340, you can pick up a used HDTiVO (mine was $96 off eBay) then add Lifetime service for $299 and pay around $400 for what is REALLY the BEST OTA DVR there is.

It records two OTA channels simultaneously in HD and it can EASILY port ALL OTA recordings to your PC to do with as you please via TiVo designed software so there is no removing of the HDD or messing with the OS.

I despise TiVo the company, but I love their hardware - I have 4 of them, two currently active.

Yep, I have an old SD Tivo that I was using before I switched to VOOM, the interface is definitely the best out there. I emailed Tivo and they said that you can still call in to talk to them about a lifetime subscription. I would probably want one of the premier units though.

Either $12/month or $19/month depending on what you pay upfront, which is why I would like to find a lifetime subscription Tivo. The lifetime subscription has no monthly charge.

I think my Tivo S3 is 12 a month. If I pay a year in advance, its something like 10 a month.

I'm somewhat split over that lifetime subscription business. Its only for the lifetime of the Tivo DVR. Mine's already 4 years old. When it dies, I'll probably want to update to a newer model. Since these lifetime subscription no longer transfer to different machines, it wouldn't be such a good deal now. Maybe when I first bought it. Thoughts?

I called in last night to the loyalty dept. I switched to Latino Max, and was able to get an additional $10x12 credit. Long time customer with paperless and autopay. Had to do some negotiating, but it was worth it.

I think my Tivo S3 is 12 a month. If I pay a year in advance, its something like 10 a month.

I'm somewhat split over that lifetime subscription business. Its only for the lifetime of the Tivo DVR. Mine's already 4 years old. When it dies, I'll probably want to update to a newer model. Since these lifetime subscription no longer transfer to different machines, it wouldn't be such a good deal now. Maybe when I first bought it. Thoughts?

It should be $13/month..so if you run the numbers, 48 months on your current unit x $13/month = $576, a lifetime subscription is $299, so the ROI on a lifetime subscription is roughly 23 months (~2 years), after that you are saving money.

However, they complicate things a bit more by subsidizing the hardware cost based on the subscription cost and what you pay up front. For example, a Tivo Premiere is $99.99 if you commit to 1 year @ $19.99 and $299.99 if you commit to 1 year @ $12.95

I haven't broken down all those numbers yet because I haven't made a decision to move forward yet. :)

I was offered $20 for 6 months then $10 for 6 months off of AT200 when I called to end my customer-ship last night..........I took the deal. In six months I will let go my 2nd vip211k and drop down to 120-plus. But, Comcast here in Philly has 98% of the HD channels I watch anyways so I may just let Dish go after 6 months.

HD Absolute was a great, but nothing last 4 ever :)

I just want to say if you sub to a lower pack for a certain channel, check if Netflilx has DVDs. I noticed they have a lot of History channel DVDs. Discovery also replays Science channel content. If you have LatinoMAX a simple way to redo the timers is: Schedule>timers>highlight show># to search>select correct show/channel.

I just want to say if you sub to a lower pack for a certain channel, check if Netflilx has DVDs. I noticed they have a lot of History channel DVDs. Discovery also replays Science channel content. If you have LatinoMAX a simple way to redo the timers is: Schedule>timers>highlight show># to search>select correct show/channel.

Smart. Wish I would have figured that out, before I reset all mine last night.....oh well.

I've been watching the thread since I got my letter. Figured out Dish had called me a few times in January so I answered one of their calls near the end of last month. They offered me the standard (AT package + HD for life + Platinum for 12 mos. + $10 credit). The rep I spoke to said even if I made a change that it would not take effect until February, so I could simply wait until after I was switched to decide and call back in.

I called back tonight to make some changes and try to get additional credit (even $5 more would have placated me). Went through the billing prompt on the IVR and got to a rep who identified herself as being with the loyalty dept. Asked to switch to DA Gold and asked for $5 more than I was previously offered (I felt like that was meeting me halfway). The rep initially seemed hesitant but checked with her super and agreed to it IF I were to forego Platinum. I was a little suprised by this, since I haven't seen anyone else offered that in this thread. Being that I actually watch the Epix channels on occasion, and that I'd seen noone else being asked to give up Platinum to get a better deal, I asked her to check again for me, which she did and came back with the same offer, that she couldn't do any better.

She noted our discussion and I plan to call back with my decision (which may be to drop down to a low level pack and forget trying to negotiate something, we'll see). Wondering if I should try another time - the rep was pleasant but didn't seem the most knowledgeable. She tried to tell me I'd be giving up HD by going to DA Gold and then told me that Platinum includes 60 channels (what?). You'd think folks in the loyalty group would be more knowledgeable on what they offer.

I wonder now that they've noted their new offer on the account, if I'm sure to get no better.

I've been watching the thread since I got my letter. Figured out Dish had called me a few times in January so I answered one of their calls near the end of last month. They offered me the standard (AT package + HD for life + Platinum for 12 mos. + $10 credit). The rep I spoke to said even if I made a change that it would not take effect until February, so I could simply wait until after I was switched to decide and call back in.

I called back tonight to make some changes and try to get additional credit (even $5 more would have placated me). Went through the billing prompt on the IVR and got to a rep who identified herself as being with the loyalty dept. Asked to switch to DA Gold and asked for $5 more than I was previously offered (I felt like that was meeting me halfway). The rep initially seemed hesitant but checked with her super and agreed to it IF I were to forego Platinum. I was a little suprised by this, since I haven't seen anyone else offered that in this thread. Being that I actually watch the Epix channels on occasion, and that I'd seen noone else being asked to give up Platinum to get a better deal, I asked her to check again for me, which she did and came back with the same offer, that she couldn't do any better.

She noted our discussion and I plan to call back with my decision (which may be to drop down to a low level pack and forget trying to negotiate something, we'll see). Wondering if I should try another time - the rep was pleasant but didn't seem the most knowledgeable. She tried to tell me I'd be giving up HD by going to DA Gold and then told me that Platinum includes 60 channels (what?). You'd think folks in the loyalty group would be more knowledgeable on what they offer.

I wonder now that they've noted their new offer on the account, if I'm sure to get no better.

Did you press the buttons to cancel your service? That's the only way to get to loyalty through the prompts. Regular CSR's do not seem to have the same abilities that the loyalty dept. does.

Thanks. I'm not certain it was actually the loyalty department, but that's how the rep identified herself. I was actually a little suprised, since I figured I'd just be talking to a run-of-the-mill CSR (which she very may well have been, based on her knowledge level). When I call back I'll be sure to get to loyalty by using the cancel prompt. I'm aware of that tack, but I figured they'd be reasonable and meet my request without me having to threaten to leave. Silly me!

I also figured I'd get better results during the day, which is why I ended the call without agreeing to anything.

Thanks. I'm not certain it was actually the loyalty department, but that's how the rep identified herself. I was actually a little suprised, since I figured I'd just be talking to a run-of-the-mill CSR (which she very may well have been, based on her knowledge level). When I call back I'll be sure to get to loyalty by using the cancel prompt. I'm aware of that tack, but I figured they'd be reasonable and meet my request without me having to threaten to leave. Silly me!

I also figured I'd get better results during the day, which is why I ended the call without agreeing to anything.

Don't bang your head against the phone with the CSR's. PM MattG @ Dish Network. I'm very happy with what he was able to do for me and your asking for a whole lot less.

Last edited:
I was offered $20 for 6 months then $10 for 6 months off of AT200 when I called to end my customer-ship last night..........I took the deal.

It's that inconsistency that makes me glad I canceled at this point. A lot of people weren't offered anything more than $10, including me...and it isn't a longevity thing, I was a VOOM customer that was sucked into Dish.

Finally decided what to do.
Dish did change me to AT200 on Feb 1 and threw in the $10 per month credit for 12 months and free Dish Platnium for 12 months.
I changed my package to AT120 with plans to drop them next year when my credits run out.

I felt from the beginning that this HD content providor would be fluid. At first, I had cable, then Voom, then Dish. With technology...who know what'll be available later. Just have to roll with the waves.

I honestly believe that eliminating the Absolute package is nothing more than finding a way to generate more income. Plain and simple.

Finally decided what to do.
Dish did change me to AT200 on Feb 1 and threw in the $10 per month credit for 12 months and free Dish Platnium for 12 months.
I changed my package to AT120 with plans to drop them next year when my credits run out.

I felt from the beginning that this HD content providor would be fluid. At first, I had cable, then Voom, then Dish. With technology...who know what'll be available later. Just have to roll with the waves.

I honestly believe that eliminating the Absolute package is nothing more than finding a way to generate more income. Plain and simple.

If you need more than OTA, I still think Dish is the best option. I am settling with OTA and Netflix for the time being.

I do have to say that I'm impressed with the quality of OTA HD, much better than dish and cable companies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)