Losing HD signals

mrc6

Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
TN
For the past 2-3 weeks, my ViP722 DVR has been losing HD signals during cloudy weather. Not tsunami/tornado weather, but cloudy weather. Used to, it would take a heavy rain to knock out the signal and it was all of the signals, not just HD. (Standard signals continue to come in fine.)

I understand that weather affects satellite signals, but it's never been like this. I suspect that the recent software update(s) might have something to do with it, but I don't know enough of the technical aspects. Am I totally off-base in thinking that there's something besides weather going on here?

I should also add that it's not all HD signals. I can get ESPN, Discovery, and Fox News, but not TBS, NHL Network, or locals.

well what state( different dish and satellites depending where u r located) is it a 1 dish set up or 2 dishes? look in the direction of the dish, is a tree nearby? im assuming your hd sat is 129, that would be the right side of dish.
a quick try, is unplug receiver, when it boots up (and u have programming again) run check switch
menu, option 1, option 6, option 6.
check switch on right side of screen, next screen test
let test run when finished, you should see 3? satellites 119,110,129? if your west of dallas, 72,77,61.5 east of dallas. (not knowing your setup im assuming) all sats should say "ok" in green
click done.when you go back to signal screen, let signal lock in green on bottom left hand corner. p[ersonally as an installer, i navigate to each satellite and let them lock before chosing done. then push 0 on remote until your out of menu, receiver will probably down load again.

hd signals come from 2 satellites, not 1. maybe why some work and some dont.
i know its alot of info, but reset and check switch litterly take like 30 mins. total
sorry if seems confusing, dish tech support will walk u through all of this on the phone

I should also add that it's not all HD signals. I can get ESPN, Discovery, and Fox News, but not TBS, NHL Network, or locals.

mrc6,

Is it possible that you are not so much losing HD signals, but rather signals from one satellite?

I hope you don't mind dumb questions, so here goes one. How do you determine what side the satellites are on? I am using the VIP722 with the Dish 1000.2 that has the three 110, 119 and 129 satellites and I am receiving a very weak signal to the 119 satellite. Is it while you are standing in front of the dish and looking towards the front of the dish or are you standing behind the dish and looking at the backside of the dish?

The reason why I am asking is because I just had a Dish Network technician visit regarding the strength of the signal and he said that the 119 satellite was being obstructed by a tree and I forgot which one he said that one was.

So, thank you in advance for your assistance/help.

Last edited:
Well... 119 would be the LNB in the middle. I suppose you could have a very narrow tree obstruct only 119 but that seems unlikely to me.

Losing HD Signals Response

I have been experiencing the same problems for the past 2 months under all weather conditions. I have lost some HD channels, but not all (channels from different satellites, also). I have contacted Dish, but no real help. If you reboot the receiver, the problem should go away (sometime requires hard boot - unplug receiver). This is a nuisance, but it does resolve the problem. I think the cause is software related and not signal strength. Good luck and let's hope Dish clears this up.:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)