losing local channels during warm weather

quickstep

Original poster
Mar 25, 2006
I have a superdish w/dp34 and live in Illinois. When the weather hits 60 degrees or more I lose the local channels. It is still cold here in Illinois and I have the local channels, however, last fall and on a couple of warm days recently I lose the local channels until the temperature drops. Any ideas?

Could be a bad connection, bad LNB, bad switch, bad cable, bad fitting, warping Dish (unlikely as it would affect all satellites) or as posted by jkinser, warping dish mount (unlikely as it would affect all satellites).

Start with the simple stuff and work your way up to the more complicated stuff.

Good luck!

See ya
Tony

Of the possible faulty parts, a bad switch or a bad LNB seem to be the most likely.
I'll search the board for any troubleshooting ideas. Thx.

quickstep said:
I have a superdish w/dp34 and live in Illinois. When the weather hits 60 degrees or more I lose the local channels. It is still cold here in Illinois and I have the local channels, however, last fall and on a couple of warm days recently I lose the local channels until the temperature drops. Any ideas?

If you have a Plastic Superdish the the 105 LNB is bad. Best thing to do is have someone change the dish out for a Metal Superdish.

I have a metal superdish.
The local channels on 105 dissappear at temperatures of 60 degrees or higher.
I have waited until the temperature drops to below 60 and the system can lock on to the signal again.

I got to ask.... What are your signal strengths?

Also, how is your line of sight?

I am leaning toward possible weak signal though.... if they are alright then definately something else is going on here....

Mark

phaddon said:
If you have a Plastic Superdish the the 105 LNB is bad. Best thing to do is have someone change the dish out for a Metal Superdish.

Thats two seperate things, if the lnbf is bad it would not have anything to do with the dish being plastic or metal so replacing the dish is a waste of time.

Take the large main cover off the lnbfs and look at the lot# for the lnbfs, low lot #'s such as P44 or Q51 and your probably looking at your problem right there. I have had to replace several of these lately due to intermittant failure of the fss lnbf even with signal strengths of 72 - 95 for said satellite. I have also been replacing DP - 34 switchs for a similiar issue primarily the ones with the black ports made in china during 2004.

Van said:
Thats two seperate things, if the lnbf is bad it would not have anything to do with the dish being plastic or metal so replacing the dish is a waste of time.

Take the large main cover off the lnbfs and look at the lot# for the lnbfs, low lot #'s such as P44 or Q51 and your probably looking at your problem right there. I have had to replace several of these lately due to intermittant failure of the fss lnbf even with signal strengths of 72 - 95 for said satellite. I have also been replacing DP - 34 switchs for a similiar issue primarily the ones with the black ports made in china during 2004.

the type LNB on the Plastic dish has problems with over heating and small holes in the plastic on the very front on the 105 lnb. the small holes cause condensation build up covering the plastic. that was the reason for the question. down here in the south we replaced 40% of the plastic type dish.

It is March 30 and it was 72 degrees today and I lost the local channels. The signal strength is 0 and there is a message "wrong satellite". Yesterday, it was
50 and I had a signal strength of 52 on 105. Signal strength on the other satellites are 100/109. I have a metal dish.

I may be way off here because this does sound like you are being effected by contraction and expansion of this dish due to the weather however.....

It also sounds like it doesnt have the best alignment either...

Signal strength of 52 if I followed you right is not exactly anything near what it should be I feel...

Maybe that is closer to a norm in your area I dont know but not here by anymeans....

I wonder if better alignment might not make the problem goaway

I was down in alabama last year and they were having the same problems with the lnbs overheating if you have the shroud on the dish remove it this should assist in solving the problem.

It doesn't matter if it is the 105 or 121 version. The LNB's that I see the most that have problems related to the temperature are the ones with the recall lot #'s P310, P311, and P312. In my area all we have are the 121 SD's. These lot #'s can appear on either the FSS LNB for the 121 or the DBS LNB for the 119 and frequently on both. I replace about a dozen of these every month. They are always on the early SD's with the HDTV logo on the end of the top cover. 99.9% of the SD I have seen are the type I metal dishes.

I have only seen 2 of the type 2 plastics dishes. The second one was just 2 weeks ago and it had the recall lot # P311 on the 119 and P310 on the 121 but I do not stock the LNB's for them in my van. I found some in our warehouse and have them in my van now in case I have to go back. The customer did state that when it gets warm out he loses some of his (non-local) channels. This is typical of the 119 being bad.

Take a phillips screw driver and pop the cover off the shroud and check those lot #'s.

Even at 52 if the dish is "flexing" it shouldnt drop out to 0 by a change of 10 degrea's in temp. But at 52 that is a weaker than normal signal and at its minimum it should be 70 though if you play at it you can get it as high as %110 ( did it two days ago :D ) . When you do go to retune it if your doing it off the signal strength screen on your tv then be sure to move slowly and wait for a few seconds while the receiver compensates to show the new level of signal.

definite lnbf

then i has to be the LNBF. there was a similar situation with the Lot G DP Twins. They'd heat up and you'd start losing channels. What a pain that was, though we got a bounty of $10.00 for every one we pulled off a house on call whether is a trouble call or not

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)