Losing My 722 and 722k - Going to Hopper 3 and Two Joeys

SaltiDawg

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 1, 2004
Long time Dish Customer - mid 1990s - Before Dish had any Field Support.
I know very little about Hopper and Joeys... been reading furiously.
I envision getting a Hopper 3 for my TV Room and a Joey for MBR and a second Joey for Kitchen. I have no need to simultaneously watch different shows on the MBR and Kitchen Joeys. (Wife would exclusively watch on the two Joeys, obviously can only be in one place at a time.)

Couple of Questions.
I have existing RG-6 from the Hopper location to my basement. I also have individual RG-6s from the basement to each of the two Joey locations. Would a splitter allow the two Joeys to both connect to the Hopper to permit a "Wired Joey?"
If not, would I require TWO Wireless Joeys OR could I have one Wireless and the other wired using the RG-6s I described above?

Yes, you can use a splitter to have two clients feed from one line. As far as getting a client line to the basement in the first place, you would usually run a cable from the Solo Hub (the splitter in the attached image, usually outdoors near something to connect a ground wire) but if that is not possible you can install this (Hybrid tap) which will provide a client port if connected behind the Hopper, then for the two Joey runs, Dish recommends this splitter (don't think it matters but Holland is a good brand anyhow).

Another option would be to have the satellite run go into the basement, because the Solo Hub provides a Hopper and two Joey feeds anyway so if its installed there then you would not need additional splitters.

On the image bellow: ODU=Satellite dish, Host=Hopper, Client=Joey(s)

Attachments

• solohub.jpg
    solohub.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 80
I have existing RG-6 from the Hopper location to my basement. I also have individual RG-6s from the basement to each of the two Joey locations. Would a splitter allow the two Joeys to both connect to the Hopper to permit a "Wired Joey?"
Yup. I recommend the wired. Dish recommends coax, while I swear by my GigE wired network. Either will supply video to the Joey.
If not, would I require TWO Wireless Joeys OR could I have one Wireless and the other wired using the RG-6s I described above?
You can certainly have a wireless Joey as well as a wired Joey. Or two wireless Joeys. Given problems some people here report, I would hesitate to go for a wireless Joey.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)