Losing my mind, can't get brand new TV working, help!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

va_gal

Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Hi. I'm appealing to the experts in the hope that someone can shed some light on this simple, but frustrating, problem.

Here's what I'm working with: a brand new Samsung 32" LCD LN3 series TV, and a coaxial cable that feeds a TV2 single from a box upstairs. I'm a renter in a house where the owners have a Model 625 DVR Receiver (with TV1 in the livingroom), and another smaller 322 Receiver in a separate bedroom, which is the one that I've been told controls MY set (I am TV2).

The thing is, up until recently, everything was working. I got cable with my old TV by having the coaxial plugged into the VCR (which was then connected to the TV), and everything was kosher. Then I bought a new DVD player, unplugged everything, and realized I'd need to connect the Dish Network a different way, but going STRAIGHT INTO the TV didn't work.

That was with my old TV. Nothing but snow. Out of frustration, today I ran out and bought a new TV and new coaxial, and still nothing.

I have tried every combination of "Air," "Cable" and channels 03, 60, and 73 (and everything in between) on my TV. Shouldn't I at least get SOMETHING (a logo, etc.) by plugging in the coaxial?

Have already spent 1.5 hrs on the phone with support, to no avail. :confused:

Please...does anyone see what I might be missing here? I'm at my wits' end. Thank you.

N.

It sounds like to me that you have to check the box upstairs that you are no longer getting a signal, maybe someone turned TV 2 off on the output.

Also on your TV you have to choose the video input that you are using such as Video 1-2-3or 4.

You mentioned having a VCR with your TV2...have you tried leaving your TV on channel 3 and using your VCR to modulate to channel 73 (or 60...whichever one you normally use)? Another thought of what *may* be happening with your new television is that it's on "digital" mode versus "analog" mode.

Replies

Hi, thanks for the input.

1. TV2 being off on the box upstairs...
It's not that, the blue light for TV2 is shining on both boxes, and the tech support people had me go into the Installation Menu and they both say "73" for TV2... the people upstairs say they haven't changed anything

2. VCR
The VCR's no longer in the picture (the DVD/VCR aren't even hooked up at the moment). I have no components going into the TV, just the coaxial. I did try replicating the VCR thing (how it worked before), but that didn't work, so to keep things simple, I unplugged all the components.

3. Analog/digital - this is interesting. Is this the same as "Air" or "Cable"? Those are the only two selections that seem to be choices in my TV setup. I'll keep looking though....

If the receiver is set to 73 you need to make sure your TV is set to CABLE mode

Did you actually go into the menu's of the tv and have the tv scan for channels. Some tv's won't display a channel until it does a scan.

Does the tv/video video button on the dish remotes still act like a tv/vcr button on the old vcrs and switch between the two. Perhaps the tv/video button has been pushed while in sat mode and switched the rf output for the satellite off.

still trying

Ok... my friend and I are both sitting here, 2 feet away from the TV, manuals in hand...

The TV is set to "Cable" and we've tried channel 73, etc. We completed the "Auto Scan" that scanned Cable/Air for channels. The only channels where we get ANYTHING but snow are 4 and 7.

What about Analog/Digital signal selection... "STD, HRC, IRC" etc... it's STD, which means standard, right?

N.

First go into the menu on the 322 and find out what channel the TV2 modulator is set to. To get there you have to push menu 6-1-5. Once you know what channel you need to look for you can proceed from there.

Does your new tv have 2 inputs for Coax. If it does one might be digital and the other anolog. You want to be in the analog input. Then if the 322 is set for AIR you want to have your tv scan the AIR or Antenna. If you 322 is set up for cable you want to have the tv scan cable std.

I have gone to Menu: Installation: Modulator Input several times. It specifies Channel 73 for TV2, and this is the channel I have the TV set on.

My new TV (and the old one, for that matter) only has 1 input for COAX. We have now tested this setup with 3 different TVs, and all fail.

We just got off the phone with the 3rd Dish representative. I'm having a technical consultant come to the house on Saturday between 12-5. I have a feeling it's something with the actual cable signal coming out of the wall (and I don't know why).

hmm

Hi, retiredTech --

I haven't run across a menu where I can check to see if it's in analog or digital mode - it does say I can select Analog & Digital signal types (STD, HRC, IRC), and under Analog, I've tried each one and then hitting "Auto Scan."

I don't know if you're considering Analog/Digital to be analogous to "Air/Cable," but this is another setting I'm able to change. I've tested both (although under Modulator Setup in the Dish Installation Menu upstairs on the DVR, it specifies "Cable," so that's the one I'm inclined to think will work).

I'll be interested to see what the tech has to say. This seems like it should be SO simple.

If you have some extra coax around that is long enough. You can try running a coax directly from the receiver to the tv. If it works you know you have a problem somewhere with the old coax.

coax

Hi, OSU - it's not possible to run a coax straight from the receiver, since the receiver for this TV is actually 2 floors up.

And we've tried 2 different coaxial cables today. It's possible the actual socket (or plug, or whatever you want to call it) could be dead, but it was working until recently (like within the last 1.5 weeks).

Manually reboot the 322 (pull the plug). If that don't work, change it from 73 to anything else and save, then rescan on the new Tv. Even better- take the new Tv upstairs into the same room with the 322 and hook it directly to TV2 output and rescan.

Hi, OSU - it's not possible to run a coax straight from the receiver, since the receiver for this TV is actually 2 floors up.

Maybe this is too obvious, but can't you take the TV upstairs to the receiver and plug it straight in with a short piece of coax? That would at least tell you if it's a cabling problem or not.

Do you have a small TV you can substitute for your Samsung just to verify that 73 is coming through that wire? I had a customer who just had the same issue. I tried a different TV and it worked so it appears his NTSC tuner went out on his TV. This was a new TV purchased in August.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts