losing some HD channels

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jason@kingandbunnys.com

Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Please Help

I have a 5lnb dish that was installed about 2 months ago when I moved . I am now losing some HD channels at approx. 7:00pm PST. ESPN2-HD,DISC-HD,HDNET.
they will return in the morning around 5:00 am. I have now had the original installer out the 2 times including last night. first time he ran diagnostics on the dish and connections.second time he was out he replaced the lnb and the grounding block and yet still the same problem. he has checked the signal strength and at the dish it's getting 98% on his meter. I also have a directv tivo rec. in another room and no signal on SAT 119 either at around 7:00pm. he is now planning to come out and replace the entire dish and lnb to see if this fixes the problem. anybody have some thoughts or Ideas?

Thanks
J

Are you getting any kind of error message (like "Searching For Satellite Signal") when the channels go out, or a blank screen?

If you could list some specific about your setup it mnay help, such as how many receivers, which would indicate if there is any multiswitches in use or not, etc.

I assume you are sure there is no line of sight issue at fault.

Last edited:
Yes, I am getting serching for sat signal 771. as far as setup is concerned I have single slave receiver in my bedroom, a tivo receiver in my living room,and a high def rec in my family room. and there is no line of sight issues at all.
Thanks J

Just to clarify, when these outages occur, all receivers exhibit this loss of signal?

You say he replaced the LNB, do you mean he replaced just the one which he thought received the satellite stream associated with those channels? If so, perhaps he replaced the wrong one?

Or did he replace all the LNBs (or change out the dish totally)? If not, that may be something to look into.

And a shot in the dark, did you ask if they would 'rehit' your card?

You say he checked the connectors, you may want to inspect them yourself, at the ground block, multiswitch, if any, receiver jacks, etc, making sure that the center conducters are long enough so they seat properly into any jacks or barrel connectors.

Did/can you check every inch of the coax run to make sure there are no breaks, staples, even better, if you can run a new coax to one of your receivers, bypassing the ones D* installed to see if that stops the issue on that receiver?

Last edited:
I lose signal every night between 6:50pm and 7:00pm on the channels that i previously listed.

as far as every rec. is concerned I can tell you that the tivo rec. also loses signal on SAT 119 only but only certain transponders.

as far as the replacement of the LNB he has replaced both.

I also watched him replace every connector on every cable in the house, as well as on the dish and the grounding block.

I might try the cable thing tonight when i get home.

what do you mean rehit the card?

jason@kingandbunnys.com said:
what do you mean rehit the card?

Reauthorizing the card over the phone, I highly doubt it'll fix your issue, but I have heard it work where you'd think it wouldn't. Usually the message associated with a needed rehit is the "Channel not purchased 721", so I doubt this will do anything for you.

Last edited:
Just wanted to update situation. I had the original Installer out on Friday the 21st
he installed a brand new complete dish still a 5 lnb but, a little smaller dish size than the original. he said that it was the newest model out. so he installed it and problem solved.

thanks for all your input

Jason
:up :up

jason@kingandbunnys.com said:
Ja brand new complete dish still a 5 lnb but, a little smaller dish size than the original. he said that it was the newest model out. so he installed it and problem solved. thanks for all your input Jason :up :up

Oh we NEED photos of that!! It MIGHT be the slimline everyone is waiting to see. Please post ASAP!

Pictures of the new dish

here are the pictures you were asking for.

Attachments

• dish1.JPG
    dish1.JPG
    616 KB · Views: 155
  • dish2.JPG
    dish2.JPG
    651.3 KB · Views: 138
  • dish3.JPG
    dish3.JPG
    512.2 KB · Views: 176
Darn, no smaller; its the same dimensioned AT9. Thanks for the pics. This is what the "slimline" dish is supposed to look like. It will more than likely have the same or slightly more reflective surface (gain value) by being wider and not as tall. Maybe not metal either; so lighter weight. The photo of the prototype appears to have a metal dish.

Attachments

• slimline dish.JPG
    slimline dish.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
charper1 said:
Darn, no smaller; its the same dimensioned AT9. Thanks for the pics. This is what the "slimline" dish is supposed to look like. It will more than likely have the same or slightly more reflective surface (gain value) by being wider and not as tall. Maybe not metal either; so lighter weight. The photo of the prototype appears to have a metal dish.

How do you know??? :confused:

He said it was a little smaller than the AT9, (unless I was not understanding him correctly).

His photos appear to show the exact same AT9 make, assuming he had the AT9 5 LNB dish before as he said, he has the same thing now. There are not going to be any spec differences on the same series dish run, even between factories; they use a DirecTV provided pattern, to ensure that the dimensions and gain values/surface reflection area remains consistently the same. Exactly the way all the makers of the PhaseIII and the original 18" dish did before.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.