Losing the signal very easily

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JINXR

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
I got a new 1000.2 dish installed yesterday to get HD. Well we had some rain come through last night and it was barely sprinkling it was knocking out the signal for long periods of time. My old 500 didn't go out near that much.

When the installer showed me the signal, it was around 111 out of 125 before it was "modified" after downloading the software. During the rain, it was down around 5-20.

Do I just need to adjust it a little? If so, what's the easiest way to go about doing it?

If the satellite was 111 on 129 what more could you ask for? We are lucky when we hit 70 on 129. The 119 does carry some HD, I was just making sure he was on the right satellite.

Exactly. The tech tried to explain why it will change after the download, but it was over my head.

I'm not sure which satellite I was locked onto when I was getting 111.

It sounds like I need to take a closer look at it when I get home and post up the signals for all three satellites (110, 119, & 12 on a clear day... too bad it's been raining all day here.

"BEFORE DOWNLOAD" report was as indicated......meter was reading OLD scale......

I complained to Dish tech support about the fact that my HD LiLs on tsp #2 on sat 129 are coming in at 22 to 29 signal strength and I do see some breakups occasionally. I know that my installer got the 4 transponders that he said were used for adjustment (14, 15, 16, & 21) to over 40, so I was worried that my signal might be inadequate.

Dish tech support responded that one only needed a signal strength of 15 in perfect conditions to lock a signal, although others I communicated with say you need at least 17 to lock. Tech support said that the margin for rain fade was 5, so as long as I had a signal strength of 20 or greater I was fine. This remains to be seen when we finally get a good rain storm here.

My next door neighbor, a 10 year Dish employee, had his Dish 1000 and HD receivers installed by Dish a few years ago as part of Dish testing and debugging. He told me that his signal strength for the LiL HD channels was only 20, so he thought that the tech support folks were spot on in their response to me.

YMMV

I got a new 1000.2 dish installed yesterday to get HD. Well we had some rain come through last night and it was barely sprinkling it was knocking out the signal for long periods of time. My old 500 didn't go out near that much.

When the installer showed me the signal, it was around 111 out of 125 before it was "modified" after downloading the software. During the rain, it was down around 5-20.

Do I just need to adjust it a little? If so, what's the easiest way to go about doing it?

The 111 signal had to be either the 119 or 110 sat. The 129 doesn't have the "strength" to get that high. The highest I've seen the 129 is about 105 on the original signal strength screen.

I have a 722 and my transponders' signal strength run from 37 to 59 on the modified screen and that's with a clear night sky.

With it raining, your 129 signal could have dropped that low depending on which transponder you were viewing from.

The 129 is a dying bird to say the least and is scheduled to be replaced around the beginning of 2009.

Ok, on a clear day, I'm getting between 30 and 50 on the three satellites. That's with a modified signal.

Does that seem low?

With my old 522, I was getting 70 or so on the 110 and 119.

My installer told me his company does not stock the 1000. Said it was nearly impossible to get a lock in South Florida. He installed two 500s instead and they loose signal when it rains. That is a problem when you live on the coast in the sub tropics where it rains almost every day from May though September.

Around here, 119 and 110 get a solid 70-80 on the new meter. 61.5 gets about the same.. 129 however will max at around 50-55. Did I mention I hate the new signal meter. Customers just don't understand it..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)