Loss of guide causes disk overrun.

KKlare

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 18, 2003
Los Alamos, NM
Three times in the last week I have found the VIP622 recording undesired things.

It seems to happen when the guide is not loaded so pass/all/new recordings do not know whether to be recorded. Even programs marked as "user skip" are recorded. Several reboots do not get the guide but reboot and wait 15 minutes in the off state does work.

I looked kind of late 5/20 and there were 4+5 hours of HD (Univeral or HDNet + Discovery for Planet Earth) recordings wiping some recording that were back burner old recordings still to be viewed.

This might have been related to moving my reset time from 5:05 AM to 5:55 AM MDT to avoid one conflict. It sure would be nice if it did not auto-reboot while recording. It worked 5/21 back at 5:05.

I have removed many of the pass/all/new timers and set one pass from record to flag only. That recording is for Northern Exposure and I have all 38 of the first 3 seasons (1990-2) on DVD but I'm waiting for the 72 of second 3 seasons (1992-5). So I had it on pass and kept skipping them--a lot of work if they keep coming back--best to go into the timer menu and check there.

I hate to think I may go away for a few days and find my disk filled.
-Ken

The way to force a guide download is by performing a checkswitch: menu 6,1,1 and actually do the checkswitch. It sounds like your box is not actually updating. Maybe there is a timer firing when it should update and it can't find another time to do the daily update? Is there another time (maybe earlier in the night) that might work better?

I did a check switch (more than once) and and the guide only shows the first 2 programs initially with a few program further out. Waiting beyond the reboot for say 15 minutes then gets the full guide. It seems not to fill in the guide (on tuner 2?) if there is an activity during the first minutes after reboot like looking at the guide.

I had moved it that late to avoid the majority of conflicts in overnight recordings. As I said reboot should not override recording/viewing!
-Ken

I did a check switch (more than once) and and the guide only shows the first 2 programs initially with a few program further out. Waiting beyond the reboot for say 15 minutes then gets the full guide. It seems not to fill in the guide (on tuner 2?) if there is an activity during the first minutes after reboot like looking at the guide.

I had moved it that late to avoid the majority of conflicts in overnight recordings. As I said reboot should not override recording/viewing!
-Ken

So you are saying that after you did the checkswitch the box went through the guide download and it still only showed 2 programs into the future. If that is the case you need to have your receiver replaced.

I guess I am saying it did work before, worked today, and generally does. Even with a power cord reboot the initial guide is 2 programs plus some repeats and will fill in but sometimes not if "on" or at least not quick enough for me. The degree of fill may depend on when it auto-reboots. Without a complete fill the skips are lost.

Sidenote: in getting (too) deep into the menus it hung and rebooted on its own. In that case the skips were right and the guide was full right away. So what is different about the overnight reboot?

I have turned off map down because I do not like doubled entries in the search. I could swear the guide used to show only the HD map down and not both HD and SD on tuner 1, for example, 300 was only HBO-HD-maybe that was the default. You need SD when you are nearly out of disk space or when they are different like Discovery (9421->182?).
-Ken

So you are saying that after you did the checkswitch the box went through the guide download and it still only showed 2 programs into the future. If that is the case you need to have your receiver replaced.

Hey, my box has lost guide twice in the last month and each time it took multiple check switches/ unplug reboots to force a guide download. It seems to be less robust these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts