Loss of Locals on 77w

Anytime Dish moves a local to a spotbeam they need to note moves that all of a sudden occurs to locals that are still conus. Any service address changes should require a truck roll to make sure it’s legit. No verify, no service.

That would be fun watching Dish trucks trying to chase down the many RV'ers and OTR truckers that change service addresses as often as daily. ;)

Why do you have to lie on where you live? I hopefully you realize that Dish Network is only allowed to offer locals in your market. Put all locals on spot beams and turn off those people are getting Dish Network in countries they are not allowed to serve.
ty1273, my two cents:

Not to create polemic here, and by no means I am justifying an illegal act. Go to Aruba, Curacao, Turks & Caico, Saint Barth, etc. stay in any hotel, you will see when it rains a message from DISH...... They're paying and have active accounts? (I guess so), I have to guess the Hotels in the Caribbean are paying commercial accounts? You know what is really hurting the copy rights industry? online illegal streamming services out of Canada, Holland, France, Belgium, etc. they're hosting a service for $10 or so a month and watching all around the planet, all the US channels, and other countries channels; that kind of service is what large companies have to fight for, massive breach and content delivery in illegal ways. Dishnetwork or DirecTV small numbers of customers that have their legit account in a different address is not hurting the copy right industry (Turner, Viacom, Disney, etc). I need you to understand the technicalities in the reason why Dishnetwork or DirecTV (AT&T) are using Spot Beams.

The reason Spot Beams technique is used by both (Dish & AT&T) is frequency limitation or bandwidth limitation in the spectrum FCC has assigned for them, they have a limited spectrum of 500 MHz and in reverse polarity 500 MHz more. How will they provide 210 DMA markets with an average of 6 Local channels (some mayor cities with up to 12 local Channels) per market. Do the math 6ch (ave.) x 210 is 1260 Local Channels, Now lets say they want to serve also with HD instead of SD. you will see an average of 7ch to 11ch tops in HD per TP with MPEG 4, if they go with H.265 probably 15 HD, but lets stick with MPEG 4 because changing for free 15 million ird's might hurt them too much. Per each satellite they have 32 Transponder frequencies so 32 TP x 10 HD per TP is 320 Channels, Directv only has 11 transponders at 119°W, 3 Transponders @ 110°W, 32 Transponders @ 103°W, 101°W, 99°W, Dish has 32 TP @ 129°W, 61.5°W, bottom line they have limited space.....what they do is they reuse frequencies, beaming repeated frequencies in the different Spot Beam antennas with separated space and fill out the markets, now the Spot Beam space is also finite, therefore they have to beam some Local market in CONUS because of that. Their business is content delivery, if they have more customers it's better for them, also the content providers are only interested in numbers; Technology limitation therefore spectrum optimization is the main reason of all....they run a business they have to take advantage of the 15 year lifespan of their 250 million or so satellite investment per orbital slot, this has to be profitable, they will beam HD to markets that have higher demand or customers, that will ultimately keep them in business

Regards.

Reactions: loco502
That would be fun watching Dish trucks trying to chase down the many RV'ers and OTR truckers that change service addresses as often as daily. ;)
Nah, they just deputize all of those RV'ers and OTR truckers, turning their vehicles into Dish trucks. "Hey, while you are in the neighborhood anyway, could you install some Dish equipment for us, verify some service addresses, etc.? We'll pay you enough to make it worth your while..." :biggrin

• Love
Reactions: NYDutch
Put all locals on spot beams and turn off those people are getting Dish Network in countries they are not allowed to serve.
I think that is actually the goal. Eliminating duplicate SD channels to free up bandwidth on the existing spot beams will be a necessary step first. Dish was actually a lot closer to that goal (all locals on spot beams) years ago, before a partial failure on a satellite at the 110 slot forced Dish to shuffle some channels around and move more markets to CONUS. Lately, Dish has been slowly backing off of those changes (moving each of those markets back to a spotbeam) as the bandwidth becomes available, with SD local service in many markets across the country being shut down completely. Dish's spotbeam satellite at 110 is nearing the end of its expected lifespan, so even more shuffling of this type will be necessary soon, to make better use of the spotbeam capacity they still have left at other orbital slots. There are still quite a few overlapping spotbeams for most markets, with redundant spotbeam capacity already in orbit, being reserved just in case it is needed. (In the event of another spotbeam satellite failure, for example.) So, while the goal can be reached, it is still necessary to free up some bandwidth first, to ensure that there is still enough reserve spotbeam capacity left as a backup for the worst-case scenario.

Nah, they just deputize all of those RV'ers and OTR truckers, turning their vehicles into Dish trucks. "Hey, while you are in the neighborhood anyway, could you install some Dish equipment for us, verify some service addresses, etc.? We'll pay you enough to make it worth your while..." :biggrin
Heh! Ok, but they'll have make it really worthwhile! ;)

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
Why do you have to lie on where you live? I hopefully you realize that Dish Network is only allowed to offer locals in your market. Put all locals on spot beams and turn off those people are getting Dish Network in countries they are not allowed to serve.
it seems you don't know RV's and truckers exist in this world, many of us drive around the country with rv's equipped with dish network system and need to change our location constantly to receive local channels so that doesn't make me a liar, my point was to have a conus location for networks so i don't have to be calling dish every day to change y service address because that takes at least 20 minutes of my time every day, think before you talk dude

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
I've changed my service address probably a hundred times and I know there are several other RV'ers here that do the same..I never call anyone.. That's why they have the app to change your service address if you actually do have a RV Account.. Very simple.. That's why they don't need conus for legit RV customers

I've changed my service address probably a hundred times and I know there are several other RV'ers here that do the same..I never call anyone.. That's why they have the app to change your service address if you actually do have a RV Account.. Very simple.. That's why they don't need conus for legit RV customers
i wish i had that option on my dish app, problem is i opened my account as residential a few years ago before i bought my dish equipped RV and put 2 of my receivers in it and i have called dish to switch from household to RV so that i can change my address in the app but so far they have told me i'd have to close my residential account and open a new one as RV type and i really don't want to go through all that process, this is why i have to keep calling dish every week or so

i wish i had that option on my dish app, problem is i opened my account as residential a few years ago before i bought my dish equipped RV and put 2 of my receivers in it and i have called dish to switch from household to RV so that i can change my address in the app but so far they have told me i'd have to close my residential account and open a new one as RV type and i really don't want to go through all that process, this is why i have to keep calling dish every week or so
Yep I ran into the same thing back when I finally dropped my account and opened a new one with RV account.. Another thing is that most people don't own all of their equipment and hoppers are pretty expensive and you loose and perks they give you for being long term customer

I also opened my account as Residential, but I got Dish to switch it to a Dish Outdoor (RV) account. I was able to get this done through a DIRT agent on this site, which unfortunately is no longer an option. This was around the same time that Dish added the service address change feature to the mydish app. I already owned all of the equipment on my account, which also may have helped make it easier to change my account type. Another perk of the mydish app with this type of account (which I actually use a lot more frequently than the address change feature these days) is the ability to use mydish to activate and deactivate any purchased receivers on the account at will, without needing to call or chat with anybody. This comes in handy on days when I need an extra receiver, and then I can drop it the rest of the time to save money.

Reactions: Tvland1 and NYDutch
Before the app feature was added, I used pre-written scripts to change my location using the support chat function on my laptop. Once I filled in the location info on the script, I just copied to the clipboard to paste into the chat window. That saved both questions and time...

Another perk of the mydish app with this type of account (which I actually use a lot more frequently than the address change feature these days) is the ability to use mydish to activate and deactivate any purchased receivers on the account at will, without needing to call or chat with anybody
I change my receivers alot.When we go camping I shut off the home and turn on the camper.. Also having the flex-pack I will add channels and remove quite often at no charge same as the locals but it makes a mess of the bill as I'm sure you know.. I've been to a point my bill has a credit next month because of all the prepaying when adding channels and removing..

I change my receivers alot.When we go camping I shut off the home and turn on the camper.. Also having the flex-pack I will add channels and remove quite often at no charge same as the locals but it makes a mess of the bill as I'm sure you know.. I've been to a point my bill has a credit next month because of all the prepaying when adding channels and removing..
Yes, it does tend to make my Dish bill look more like a long-distance phone bill. :eeek The list of activity starts on page 2, and these days my changes are infrequent enough that they barely extend the list of transactions onto page 3. Of course, that makes the pdf document 4 pages long, with a blank 4th page. A slightly smaller font size on the bill (or starting the list of activity on page 1) would fix that in my case, making the bill a nice short 2 pages instead. With my cheap Locals Only core package, it's not like Dish bothers to try to do a lot of marketing to me on page 1. There is plenty of blank space there where there would normally be ads for various promotions (at least, that is what used to be in that space on my really old bills). Before I switched to Locals Only, I would also add and remove the locals on the same days when I was adding and removing receivers. Even with that additional activity, my bill still fit neatly on 3 pages, though.

I currently have a credit balance of over $119. That is because I purposely overpaid earlier in the year, sending Dish checks in the mail when I got my stimulus money. This way, I don't even have to worry about paying the Dish bill each month. I pretty much prepaid for an entire year in advance. (That is, assuming that I get to keep Locals Only, and there are no further price increases.) I also made an annual donation to Locast at the same time. So, that covered all of my subscription programming for one year, and now I have a backup just in case I need it.

Reactions: Tvland1
i'm between Cancun and Playa - have had dish for 20+ years. have 1.8m master channel dish for 119/110 and small dish for 77 and a 2nd small for 72 - have Cinn address. For years when others couldn't get coverage i did. But now lost Cinn.
Question? can i reposition 72 to require Cinn.? or is it best to change to Casper and hope it will be good for a few years??
I have a lot of money on new upgraded hoppers, and joeys..would like to get locals atleast for a year or 2.

i'm between Cancun and Playa - have had dish for 20+ years. have 1.8m master channel dish for 119/110 and small dish for 77 and a 2nd small for 72 - have Cinn address. For years when others couldn't get coverage i did. But now lost Cinn.
Question? can i reposition 72 to require Cinn.? or is it best to change to Casper and hope it will be good for a few years??
I have a lot of money on new upgraded hoppers, and joeys..would like to get locals atleast for a year or 2.
In the set up you suggest I will assume you have a DPP Twin LNBF, if so I would guess you have a strong feed from the satellites footprint.....I see no problem for you to aim your small dish from 77°W and target the 72.7°W......and run a Check Switch, I guess you will do better if you aim the whole system and target with the 1.8 m the eastern arc instead, the 1.8 m off set fed Channel Master to both 61.5°W & 72.7°W and leave the small to 77°W where it's actually aimed to......

In my personal opinion I can't understand the reason why Dishnetwork is not using at all the transponders they used for Locals at orbital slot 77°W (we have been guessing here, one of my guesses is that they want to expand channel line up for Dish Mexico) so your best bet will always be where they have core programming, 77°W has been always a complementary satellite never has been a core one.....

You have several options for CONUS locals is there a reason you need Eastern feeds instead of central time that seems to match your time in Cancun? or is it just that you are from Cincinnati and want to get the local news?

In the set up you suggest I will assume you have a DPP Twin LNBF, if so I would guess you have a strong feed from the satellites footprint.....I see no problem for you to aim your small dish from 77°W and target the 72.7°W......and run a Check Switch, I guess you will do better if you aim the whole system and target with the 1.8 m the eastern arc instead, the 1.8 m off set fed Channel Master to both 61.5°W & 72.7°W and leave the small to 77°W where it's actually aimed to......

In my personal opinion I can't understand the reason why Dishnetwork is not using at all the transponders they used for Locals at orbital slot 77°W (we have been guessing here, one of my guesses is that they want to expand channel line up for Dish Mexico) so your best bet will always be where they have core programming, 77°W has been always a complementary satellite never has been a core one.....

You have several options for CONUS locals is there a reason you need Eastern feeds instead of central time that seems to match your time in Cancun? or is it just that you are from Cincinnati and want to get the local news?

Thanks for the information. Yes twin LNBF (2 hoppers - a sling and a H3 (2) accounts + 5 joyes on one and 3 on older Hopper sling ) I have 2 small dishes (old mx sky TV dishes) (77 & 72) and the channel master 1.8M for 119/110. To be honest my Dish guy here is very $$$ because its a usa dish - he was good but my hopper3 is all new to him...so i like to get the best advise so i can translate and give to him and he doesn't have to do all the trial and error. I don't care where i get the locals from (i put everything on my dvr anyway) for years i got NYC or LA from 119 then the spot beams came on. any information you can give me is a big help. I very much appreciate the time.

Thanks for the information. Yes twin LNBF (2 hoppers - a sling and a H3 (2) accounts + 5 joyes on one and 3 on older Hopper sling ) I have 2 small dishes (old mx sky TV dishes) (77 & 72) and the channel master 1.8M for 119/110. To be honest my Dish guy here is very $$$ because its a usa dish - he was good but my hopper3 is all new to him...so i like to get the best advise so i can translate and give to him and he doesn't have to do all the trial and error. I don't care where i get the locals from (i put everything on my dvr anyway) for years i got NYC or LA from 119 then the spot beams came on. any information you can give me is a big help. I very much appreciate the time.
The best thing is to aim to CORE birds on eastern arc (61.5°W ^ 72.°W) tell your guy just to aim with a old receiver (Tailgate or VIP 211) the hopper is a receiver that needs a lot of signal and gives tricky levels, he could aim orbital slot per orbital slot and then connect the hopper here's a rough idea of wiring for just one hopper 3 (I will elaborate a bit more on the wiring latter if needed).

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 2.57.03 PM.png

I would put port #1 with 61.5°W and port #2 with 72.7°W and port #3 with 77°W (optional).

Now there are several other things I would advice before you calling your tech, please post your levels out of 119°W specially the Spot Beam transponders (1 thru 5) Not the CONUS......

Yes twin LNBF (2 hoppers - a sling and a H3 (2) accounts + 5 joyes on one and 3 on older Hopper sling ) I have 2 small dishes (old mx sky TV dishes) (77 & 72) and the channel master 1.8M for 119/110. To be honest my Dish guy here is very $$$ because its a usa dish - he was good but my hopper3 is all new to him.
This should work, you also could also use single DP LNBF per orbital slot to use full gain (whole surface) of your (1.8m) off set fed antenna to feed the DPP44:

Hopper Wiring.png