Loss of Locals on 77w

Exactly, therefore I posted that: "Echostar X (49 Spot Beam Capable)". So when this happens (sometime between now and February 2022) they will loose 49 Spot Beams @ orbital slot 110° W; the moves might be to mitigate the loss.....
Eliminating standard-def locals in as many markets as possible will help with that. It also helps accelerate the process of getting all of the old legacy equipment out of the field. This will in turn allow Dish to start converting the remaining MPEG 2 national SD channels to MPEG 4, freeing up even more bandwidth on Western Arc for other purposes.

Projected life ( a financial amortization estimate) and real life of the satellites are completely different animals.
Echostar 10 and 11 at 110W could easily have another 10 years life beyond the published estimates.

It's a guess as to what they are planning. Could be a shuffling of markets, could be partial failure (none published in their filings), or could be a deal brewing between Dish and Directv to put the dormant 110W Directv transponders back into service (a transponder lease).

Projected life ( a financial amortization estimate) and real life of the satellites are completely different animals.
Echostar 10 and 11 at 110W could easily have another 10 years life beyond the published estimates.
Yep the satellite could be up there 25+ years, but it has a most effective operating time of 16 years, and then it could be spare, but it will never work 100% for more than that lifespan, power will start to fade specially a Spot Beam satellite that has so many beams, station keeping with adjacent satellites, etc. take this example: Echostar 1(launched 12/28/1995) is still on the Clarke Belt @ 62°W but as a spare it no longer is being used for it's original purpose....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 1.05.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 1.05.57 PM.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 162
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 1.05.28 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 1.05.28 PM.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: charlesrshell
It's a guess as to what they are planning. Could be a shuffling of markets, could be partial failure (none published in their filings), or could be a deal brewing between Dish and Directv to put the dormant 110W Directv transponders back into service (a transponder lease).
Yep...by the way DirecTV 5 (Tempo 1) Launched 5/7/2005 should have been good until 2018......

So, after all of that, Dish just removed the Lexington, KY locals from 77 today. :(
yes those locals from Lexington are gone,.. too bad, would need to move again,.. the ones from Springfield MO are the same way as Lexington locals were on multiple sats 61.5, 72, 77,.. so i believe the next ones to be dropped from 77 will be from Springfield and the only ones dish won't move will be from Casper WY because those are not on 61.5 or 72 just 77 and 129sb (hopefully they'll stay on 77) i'll just wait another week

Reactions: pattykay
yes those locals from Lexington are gone,.. too bad, would need to move again,.. the ones from Springfield MO are the same way as Lexington locals were on multiple sats 61.5, 72, 77,.. so i believe the next ones to be dropped from 77 will be from Springfield and the only ones dish won't move will be from Casper WY because those are not on 61.5 or 72 just 77 and 129sb (hopefully they'll stay on 77) i'll just wait another week
you have local on other satellites......77°W is not the only option, probably you haven't made test with other orbital slots......

thing is i can't get any spot beams,,.. from any sat..
there are locals CONUS beams 129°W, 119°W, 110°W, 72.7°W & 61.5°W even if you have RV you can have the HD feed from NY @ 72.7W and L.A. West Feed @ 110°W not all locals are in S.B. there are cases where both Dish & DirecTV (AT&T) have national feeds (CONUS) you also have the option on National Feeds (CONUS) on SD.....

Reactions: loco502
thing is i can't get any spot beams,,.. from any sat..
there are locals CONUS beams 129°W, 119°W, 110°W, 72.7°W & 61.5°W even if you have RV you can have the HD feed from NY @ 72.7W and L.A. West Feed @ 110°W not all locals are in S.B. there are cases where both Dish & DirecTV (AT&T) have national feeds (CONUS) you also have the option on National Feeds (CONUS) on SD.....
Baltimore, MD locals (only the SD feeds) are CONUS on 119, if you want Eastern Time Zone networks. The major networks from NYC (only the SD feeds) are CONUS at 119, but then you have to put up with signal loss messages on the other spot beamed channels, or block those channels from your guide to avoid seeing them. I have been tracking the CONUS markets available at 72.7 in the thread I linked earlier. Billings, MT (HD feeds) are CONUS at 129. Fort Wayne, IN (HD feeds) are CONUS on the 61.5 satellite. Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA locals (only the SD feeds) are CONUS at 110.

Reactions: TheKrell
Baltimore, MD locals (only the SD feeds) are CONUS on 119, if you want Eastern Time Zone networks. The major networks from NYC (only the SD feeds) are CONUS at 119, but then you have to put up with signal loss messages on the other spot beamed channels, or block those channels from your guide to avoid seeing them. I have been tracking the CONUS markets available at 72.7 in the thread I linked earlier. Billings, MT (HD feeds) are CONUS at 129. Fort Wayne, IN (HD feeds) are CONUS on the 61.5 satellite. Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA locals (only the SD feeds) are CONUS at 110.
Don't forget the East feed and west feed for RV's.......when you activate RV's account there obviously are no SB.....
If any of the above doesn't fit....you always have the streamming option with other providers as a last resource....

Don't forget the East feed and west feed for RV's.......when you activate RV's account there obviously are no SB.....
Dish doesn't really advertise for that service anymore. I could not find any reference to it on the Dish Outdoors page on their website. Even when it was listed, I am pretty sure that it only had HD feeds from Los Angeles. It has been a long time since anybody posted here mentioning that they have distant network service. (And there are a lot of RV'ers on this forum.) These days, Dish advertises for the ability to change your locals through the mydish app instead: https://my.dish.com/support/dishoutdoors
(Click on "Manage Locals")

Dish doesn't really advertise for that service anymore. I could not find any reference to it on the Dish Outdoors page on their website. Even when it was listed, I am pretty sure that it only had HD feeds from Los Angeles. It has been a long time since anybody posted here mentioning that they have distant network service. (And there are a lot of RV'ers on this forum.) These days, Dish advertises for the ability to change your locals through the mydish app instead: https://my.dish.com/support/dishoutdoors
(Click on "Manage Locals")
check DISH For My RV
Other images are from James Long's Web Site

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 5.57.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 5.57.40 PM.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 161
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 6.00.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 6.00.40 PM.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 6.01.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-25 at 6.01.14 PM.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 159
I tried to get the national locals 2yrs ago when I signed up for the RV account..Was told they don't offer that..The reason they still have the channels available is for the ones that might be grandfathered with it and I'm sure Charlie and his executive people wants it on their account...
You also find this on Dish for my Rv.. Nothing about national locals..You either use the OTA or change your service address..thats why if you have the RV account you have the manage locals section in the App

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210625-183423.png
    Screenshot_20210625-183423.png
    96 KB · Views: 157
I tried to get the national locals 2yrs ago when I signed up for the RV account..Was told they don't offer that..The reason they still have the channels available is for the ones that might be grandfathered with it and I'm sure Charlie and his executive people wants it on their account...
You also find this on Dish for my Rv.. Nothing about national locals..You either use the OTA or change your service address..thats why if you have the RV account you have the manage locals section in the App

Yes, Dish has not offered east and west coast "distant" locals for a few years now. They did offer west coast distants for awhile, but that's gone now too. As you said, changing to the current locals as we travel is much easier now using the My Dish app. It's still almost as easy using a prewritten script on the support chat system.

Yes, those NY RV Distants have a red check mark, which means "Available (Limited Availability)." Basically, that indicates channels that are in testing, not currently available to actual subscribers. I will also note that channels 4030 through 4033 (LA RV Distants) and 4046 through 4049 (NY RV Distants) are listed as being on the 148 satellite, even though there no longer is a satellite at 148. (4046 through 4049 are also mirrored at 72.7) These channels, along with 4042 through 4045 (NY standard-def RV Distants on 119) all have red check marks.

Channels 9655 through 9658 (LA RV Distants at 110) do have the green check mark. Even that only indicates "Available (to some customer group)." That does not necessarily mean that they are still available to new subscribers.

So no CONUS locals anymore on 77?
Seems they want to end that, the reason .....we're all just guessing, unless someone could post the reasons, we have speculated several reasons, but nothing official and I doubt we will know until whatever they are planning is done and we get the picture, I personally beside all the reasons posted here would add and complementing crodrules approach with SD being either compressed in MPEG 4 or probably newer software versions will allow them to carry just HD and when a customer doesn't have HD tv set (by now I guess 99.9% users at least have a 2K 1080 TV Set by now) the ird could do the magic and downgrade to 480i they can free up all the SD and optimize even more their spectrum......and start to offer more 4K content that might give them an edge over streaming since streaming 4k will require at least 25 Mbps per user per household, unless someone comes up with a compression technology more efficient (CODEC) that H.265

Regarding 77°W orbital slot I advice to run tests with other orbital slots and see what options you have.
Where are you located? what antenna size are you using? (don't know if this is allowed in this forum, we might have to get granted to talk about this matter by the forum moderators)......

Why do you have to lie on where you live? I hopefully you realize that Dish Network is only allowed to offer locals in your market. Put all locals on spot beams and turn off those people are getting Dish Network in countries they are not allowed to serve.

Anytime Dish moves a local to a spotbeam they need to note moves that all of a sudden occurs to locals that are still conus. Any service address changes should require a truck roll to make sure it’s legit. No verify, no service.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)