Loss of signal

traumajunkie170

Original poster
Feb 21, 2009
Long island
My 110 and Hd satelite is lossing signal strength causing pixelation or complete loss of signal . My capture strength for both satellites ranges from 45-55. Dish tech has already replaced 3 dpp44 switches which corrects the problem tempoary over the last 8 months . Now I am waiting for the tech to come out again after I told DISH customer service the problem. They sent a tech out. Only be told that yes its the switch again but they didn't have the part , reschedule through them again and when they didnt show for the 2nd scheduled service date . I was told Dish must do the authorized repair.. After another 45 minutes on the phone going throughh my account notes with dish again they are sending another tech out.

Question #1 - What could be causes to DPP44 repeatly to fail ? The switch is sheltered from the bad weather and I have clear site with both dish 500 & HD

Question #2 - I need a direct number to DISH to make a formal complaint about their service . Been a dish custumer over 12 yrs maybe its time to switch .

1 622
1 722
2 522

Thank you .. sorry for the rant just so pissed at the moment .

Not sure what you mean but - I have dual lnb on the 500 dish going into 1 input of the dpp44 and a single lnb from the 61.5 dish going into the 2nd input connection of the switch. According to the tech I have a strong signal before the switch but going away from the switch to the TV's the signal strength is decreased.

thanks for the reply.

thats part of the issue. You need both lines from the D500 dish to the DPP44+ switch. 2 lines from the D500 to the switch
1 line from 61.5 to the switch

also those signal numbers are a little low. Should be in the upper 50's low 60's

One other point. Check for different ground voltage levels. Use a VOM/digital multimeter on AC, take off a cable and measure shell to shell. More than a couple of volts may mean some of your equipment or wall sockets are faulty. There will be teens of volts center wire to shell to switch the LNBs. Try to have all electronics on the same 120V side of your electrical circuit breakers and check with a 3-neon circuit tester ~$3 that ground, neutral, and hot are correct. When I redid my house 9 years ago, I found exactly 1/2 of the outlets were hot-neutral reversed for the preceding 25 years and I wondered about the occasional sparks but didn't follow up. This is especially bad for transformer-less TVs, radios, and like appliances.
-Ken

O.k Dish tech came confirmed the DPP44 switch was bad replaced it and tested the reception . 110 was fix and a short time after he left the 61.5 started to pixelate and loss signal intermmediately again . Extremely frustrating , power supply is plugged into wall . KK I will check your suggestion ASAP .. 61.5 signal strength going as high 55 for a few seconds then down to the teens or complete loss of signal . Thank you everyone for your help....

It sounds like it could be a power supply problem to the switch. You state that the power supply is plugged into the wall. Does the cable from the power supply go to port 1 on the DPP44 switch? Did the tech check for voltage on the cable from the power supply? Are there any separators, splitters or diplexers between the power supply and the switch?

If you've had multiple switches go something is either causing them to fail or the problem is something else. Did any of the techs move the power supply to another room/circuit in the house? Did any of them test power in your house?

The power supply has been in the living room ever since I upgraded to HD x 6 yrs ago . Before the HD upgrade Dish installed the power supply to the TV closest to the dish in a bedroom. I spoke with the dish tech about the power supply I removed it from the surge protected power strip and plugged it in the wall. The periodic loss of signal continued. The only splitter I have is going into the 612 receiver after the power supply. The receiver does not feed any other tv in the house. My other HD reciever is also affected The 510s recievers are not affected since the new DPP44 switch was installed.

They are coming back for a 3rd time . The techs coming back are actually dish techs not a vendor. Thay have been helpfull and cooperative . They mention Dish will be starting a eastern arc upgrade program any day now . This would illuminate the 44 switch, 1 satellite and my overall problem hopefully. We will see..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)