Saving Electricity?

kmclean01

Original poster
Jun 1, 2010
Bay City, MI
Can I unplug my Dish VIP222 from the wall when I am not using it. We only watch about 2 hours of TV a day and it seams like a huge waste of energy to keep it heating our entertainment center the other 22 hours a day.:D

I have the VIP222 hooked up to my home network for downloading the program guide (and avoiding the $5 monthly fee). Will unplugging the box prevent the guide from updating - thus resulting in the fee?

No

Can I unplug my Dish VIP222 from the wall when I am not using it. We only watch about 2 hours of TV a day and it seams like a huge waste of energy to keep it heating our entertainment center the other 22 hours a day.:D

I have the VIP222 hooked up to my home network for downloading the program guide (and avoiding the $5 monthly fee). Will unplugging the box prevent the guide from updating - thus resulting in the fee?
No the program guide doesn't come thru the LAN just off sat.

In standby, it is not using that much electricity. You will not get program updates, software updates, etc. Go into menu preference to set up a minimum time of inactivity before it goes into standby.

On the DVRs it is reported that nearly the same power is used in standby as in use. Just adds the output drivers. Not verified.
-Ken

If you are really concerned about saving electricity or the cost of electricity on your budget, here are some things that truly will save both power and money:

1 Wash clothes by hand and dry them by hanging outdoors.

2 No Air Conditioning nor central heating.

3 No refrigerator or freezer; use an ice box, or consume fresh food only, and this has the added benifit of being healthier and less likely to promote being overweight.

4 No personal Computer whatsoever. Those things are power hogs, adding the load of the monitor and external drives, especially on booting-up.

5 No toasters, coffee makers or hair dryers or such as any heating element will SUCK a lot of electricity, big time, and it is a big load on your system

6 TV and consumer electronics are pretty much out of the question, but they can function more efficiently than the above devices.

If one has to worry about the relatively piddle of electricity a DVR or any consumer electronic device consumes in "Stand By", they either aren't all the serious about making a significant contribution to saving energy (the environment) or they just plain can't afford DVR's. This "phantom" energy stuff is real, but doesn't truly address our energy hogging devices, and is highlighted and promoted only to make people feel better about buying expensive electronic toys.

If you are really concerned about saving electricity or the cost of electricity on your budget, here are some things that truly will save both power and money:

3 No refrigerator or freezer; use an ice box, or consume fresh food only, and this has the added benifit of being healthier and less likely to promote being overweight.

4 No personal Computer whatsoever. Those things are power hogs, adding the load of the monitor and external drives, especially on booting-up.

5 No toasters, coffee makers or hair dryers or such as any heating element will SUCK a lot of electricity, big time, and it is a big load on your system

6 TV and consumer electronics are pretty much out of the question, but they can function more efficiently than the above devices.

If one has to worry about the relatively piddle of electricity a DVR or any consumer electronic device consumes in "Stand By", they either aren't all the serious about making a significant contribution to saving energy (the environment) or they just plain can't afford DVR's. This "phantom" energy stuff is real, but doesn't truly address our energy hogging devices, and is highlighted and promoted only to make people feel better about buying expensive electronic toys.

:up:up:up

LOL

Now that's a funny come back.

:)

For the 22 hours you are not watching TV you should also unplug the TV it also isn't off just in stand by mode so it can turn on "instantly".

For the 22 hours you are not watching TV you should also unplug the TV it also isn't off just in stand by mode so it can turn on "instantly".

True but TVs use a lot less electricity when standby mode than Dish Network receivers. I think TVs go down to 1-5 Watts when in standby mode.

You can, but like others have said... You will have to wait for it to acquire Sat singal, download guide data and whatever else it does on boot.

Or you could replace your light bulbs with CFLs and call it a day. ;)

Do you unplug your TV? If its not energy-star, it's probably pulling down quite a bit in "stand-by" as well.

All the "little" power consumers we have in our houses can really add up. All those wall wart power supplies hidden behind desks - some forgotten and connected to nothing - some connected to devices we seldom if ever use (my electric pencil sharpener comes to mind), alarm clocks, any device with a remote control, microwaves with clocks, your gas range with a clock in it, my bread machine even has a digital clock, cell phone chargers, cordless phones, caller ID boxes, sleeping computers, external hard drives, your modem and router, the battery charger for your digital camera, printers ... each of these draws a small amount of power 24/7. That can add up to more than some high current using devices that are only operated for a relatively short time each day.

I'd bet if many of us took the time to make a power audit of our homes we could find a bunch of devices we could unplug without sacrificing much.

1 of the few that doesn't

All the "little" power consumers we have in our houses can really add up. All those wall wart power supplies hidden behind desks - some forgotten and connected to nothing - some connected to devices we seldom if ever use (my electric pencil sharpener comes to mind), alarm clocks, any device with a remote control, microwaves with clocks, your gas range with a clock in it, my bread machine even has a digital clock, cell phone chargers, cordless phones, caller ID boxes, sleeping computers, external hard drives, your modem and router, the battery charger for your digital camera, printers ... each of these draws a small amount of power 24/7. That can add up to more than some high current using devices that are only operated for a relatively short time each day.

I'd bet if many of us took the time to make a power audit of our homes we could find a bunch of devices we could unplug without sacrificing much.

Unless the electric pencil sharpener has a wall wart on it It's not using electric except when working. It's just a 110 motor waiting for a switch to be triggered to run the motor. Also my digital camera doesn't pull any power since it is battery driven. Wall warts do pull a little power and anything that has a remote pulls stand by power.

I unplug mine so it doesn't heat up my entire room. Last summer, my AC ran and ran and couldn't get the room below 85 degrees. It was loud and running like a hair dryer lol. I unplug it and now we are good to go.

I unplug mine so it doesn't heat up my entire room. Last summer, my AC ran and ran and couldn't get the room below 85 degrees. It was loud and running like a hair dryer lol. I unplug it and now we are good to go.

I find that very hard to believe. If it was running all the time with AC on, there was something wrong with it...and perhaps there still is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)