New Customer - Should I be concerned?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jakon2009

Original poster
May 30, 2010
Orlando
Hi guys, new to the forums and new Dish Network customer. Dude just installed it today.

Basically I have a 1000.4 pointed towards the eastern arc. I am in a condominium, and can only pick up 61.5 and 72.7. I figured it was okay, because it didn't seem like 77 had any channels that I was interested in.

Signal strength for the 2 I pickup seems to be in the 60s mostly, sometimes I saw it in the 50s and once in the 70s (throughout the day).

Just got some very light rain, signal at first was in the 60s, but then went to the 40s. Anyway, for maybe 40 minutes my local NBC, CBS, and PBS channels have not been working, the first 2 showing a bright yellow screen and the latter a magenta screen. It's 2am, I called Dish and they said they know of the issue and/or are doing maintenance.

1st question - Does that sound right? My initial concern is that very light rain interrupted my signal. How normal are these issues?

2nd question - After installation, my first impression was that the HD quality on the locals specifically were inferior to that of Comcast. I toggled with the TV settings, and I think they improved. But I can't be 100% sure. How should the quality compare?

3rd question. Have a 612 and 922. 922 was supposed to (according to the retailer) provide picture to 2 TVs, one in High Def the other SD (even though it is an HD). But it seems that this is not possible if I want to use the sling functionality. Is that correct? Are there any other options?

I haven't signed the contract yet, so I'm not sure if I should cancel. I hate Comcast, they have very few High Def channels in my area (Like MSNBC, Fox News, Speed, Disney Channels, Lifetime, Hallmark and several others). I have also gone through maybe 5 HD DVRs....they just keep failing.

I'm just not sure what to do. How afraid of signal loss with Dish Network should I be? Orlando does get some pretty heavy rains. Oh, I also don't get CW HD with Dish Network in my area, which sucks. 2 years is a long commitment.

Thanks for your help. If I stick with Dish, I will stick with these forums. :cool:

The 922 has the main tv out in HD and then it has the sling out, it does not have TV1, TV2 and Sling, it only has TV1 and Sling. Thats why I am getting the 722 it has TV1 and TV2 but no sling. Originally it looked like they were going to have a TV1, TV2 and Sling but when it was released there was no TV2.

As far as the local HD quality I have never seen Comcast but I do know that if you compere Dish Local HDs to OTA HD channels that the OTA channel will look better. Dish uses some compression all their HD channels as does most all other provieders.

The nature of digital signals is that there is ALWAYS some compression. It's just a matter of degree. Yes, a good OTA signal is the best available, after Blu-ray.

I believe the ViP922 has a TV2 output still, just not activated. Who knows if it will ever be activated?

I wouldn't worry about those signal numbers, so long as the pic is good. The loss of picture was only for the locals? And I wouldn't worry about 77, at least not for the foreseeable future.

You got an install without signing? Hmmmm. Know the guy well?

Thanks guys. With an OTA antennae, can I hook that up to the box and record shows on my DVR?

I didn't know the installer. He saw that I wasn't happy with the picture and stuff, and basically said he's not supposed to...but will let me wait on signing. Like 1 or 2 days basically.

I plugged the cable box in and flipped back between the 922 and Cable box. After some tweaking of the settings, the difference isn't as noticeable. Some of the HD channels seem superior to that of Comcast now. The locals are about the same. I would be able to tell more if I had an episode of LOST or 24 to watch :)

For some of the HD channels, I guess it has to do with how they broadcast as well. Initially, I wasn't that impressed with Speed HD...but watching Formula 1 today, the picture looked great.

I have a ViP722 (2 of them, actually) and record from OTA all the time. I don't get the program guide, so I have to set it just like an old VCR.

Under contract

Thanks guys. With an OTA antennae, can I hook that up to the box and record shows on my DVR?

I didn't know the installer. He saw that I wasn't happy with the picture and stuff, and basically said he's not supposed to...but will let me wait on signing. Like 1 or 2 days basically.

!st Q is yes you should be able to. If you are subbed to locals then the info for the OTA will show up as well.
If you are activated and getting E* channels you are now under contract.

1st question - Does that sound right? My initial concern is that very light rain interrupted my signal. How normal are these issues?
First, a magenta screen on locals is not a sign of trouble on your end. That is usually a sign of trouble at the local POP (Point of Presence-where Dish get your locals sent to them so they can send it back to you). Essentially the magenta screen signifies that the POP is not receiving the local channels for whatever reason.

Rain fade is really a misnomer. It is actually "moisture" fade or Cloud Fade. If the signal is traversing a 20 mile thick cloud and it is hardly raining, you may still get some "rain fade". By the same token you may have a deluge in your area where the clouds aren't that thick and never lose signal.

2nd question - After installation, my first impression was that the HD quality on the locals specifically were inferior to that of Comcast. I toggled with the TV settings, and I think they improved. But I can't be 100% sure. How should the quality compare?

The PQ on locals for me is actually pretty darned good compared to OTA and better than Time Warner Cable but only just. Like Claude said, make sure that you have your receiver set to 1080i or 720p if your TV is a 720p model. Also make sure your receiver is hooked up via HDMI or Component cables AND that your TV is set to the correct input.

3rd question. Have a 612 and 922. 922 was supposed to (according to the retailer) provide picture to 2 TVs, one in High Def the other SD (even though it is an HD). But it seems that this is not possible if I want to use the sling functionality. Is that correct? Are there any other options?
Sorry I have to pass on this one.

What are E* channels? Not familiar with all the lingo.

Thanks for all the help. Weird thing about the 922, it came with a short troubleshooting guide but no user manual.

Anyway, I think I am okay with the picture now. I was talking to Dish today, and they told me I could mirror the 922 (or 612) onto the SD tv. So I may do that, or possible upgrade the 612 to a 922 and Mirror that one (until the 2nd tv out is activated, which the guy at Dish said may happen in the future....and then he promptly told me that he has already said too much). Not sure if I can even get a 2nd 922 though, or what it may cost. I'll worry about that in the next couple of days.

If you wanted this fashion of setup, you really should have gotten a 722K instead of a 922... Then, you could mirror the TV1 HD and run a TV2 Coax for SD viewing on an alternate TV.

I keep my 722K in single mode, but have TV2 Coax to my guest rooms. If someone comes to stay with me, I just put it in Dual mode and drop a remote in the room.

Does the 922 come with an OTA tuner? I had to buy one for my 722k.

If your DVR has a tuner, you can receive your locals over the air, you can install an antenna in your location and you are willing to pay for the antenna, I would recommend doing that. This gives you the ability to record or view OTA signals while recording two satellite signals. That can help with conflicts. If you get locals from Dish, you will also get program guide data for your OTA locals. You will also find the quality of the OTA signal is somewhat better then the satellite delivered signal.

E* = Echostar = Dish Network.

It comes from a time when all the satellite carriers were [insert name here]Star.
Echostar (owned Dish Network before it spun off as a separate company) = E*
Alphastar = A*
Primestar = P*

DirecTV fokls didn't want to be left out so some started using D* which, other than being totally wrong, is even more confusing since some think it stands for DiSH.
FYI, DiSH was originally an acronym for Digital Sky Highway.

Great info, it clears things up.

I am going to look into an OTA antenna. I still have comcast cable plugged into my tv as well, the community I am in provides us with 80 channels. But that is going straight to the tv, not through a dvr. I figure it will be good to have as a backup in case I lose signal etc.

Please don't fill customers with false information.

he's right. the signed paperwork is only a paper backup which is pulled in the event of a dispute. the actual contract is made over the phone and becomes valid at time of activation. although, if he did sign the contract,i beleive there is a stipulation to back out within so many days.

Thanks

he's right. the signed paperwork is only a paper backup which is pulled in the event of a dispute. the actual contract is made over the phone and becomes valid at time of activation. although, if he did sign the contract,i beleive there is a stipulation to back out within so many days.

Thanks for backing me up on this. Unless the guy had bought the unit out right and installed it himself. Then he would be under contract. They don't give out 922's w/o being under contract. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)