Lost 20.0 remote TV functions

dare2be

SatelliteGuys God
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 15, 2011
FL
I think my 20.0 IR remote is fubar. I noticed recently that I could no longer control the volume or power on my TV with the dish remote. The instructions say to hold down the TV mode button until all four mode lights light up. Instead of staying on solid, they flash for a second or two and then turn off. I never get a chance to enter the 3 digit code.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a way around this?

That's when I first noticed the problem (low battery) but they since have been replaced. Still no TV functions.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I just put brand new batteries in and still get the Remote Battery Low message.
I have, on occasion, put new batteries in some device or other and still nothing works. Then I have gone out and purchased another set of batteries and, voila, everything works! Just like everything else there can be bad batches or just old batteries that have been sitting in a drawer for some time.

I just put brand new batteries in and still get the Remote Battery Low message.

1. Do you have a battery tester to be sure they are good? On my remote even when partially depleted this can happen.

2. Make sure nothing is blocking the sensors on the devices, maybe clean them?

3. Is it possible you deprogrammed the TV functions, have you tried reprogramming since the new batteries?

Yes, battery tester shows all good batteries. It's the remote.

And if you read in my first post, the reprogramming function is acting up, unless I'm doing it wrong.

There's no way of resetting a 20.0 that I'm aware of. The only thing I can think to do is take the batteries out, push a few buttons to drain any residual power and leave the batteries out for a couple hours to try and reset it. It's a long shot but I can't think of anything else.

So, I took the batteries out of the tv1 remote and put them in the tv2 remote. No "Remote Battery Low" message on tv2 and the reprogramming function for TV mode works fine. Definitely not the batteries.

I don't see any problem with the IR sensors being blocked.

Clean the spring and contact pads with acetone or a high grit number sand paper, oxides build up on these as does other things and can create an insulator that reduces or even blocks the flow of current into the device.

Clean the spring and contact pads with acetone or a high grit number sand paper, oxides build up on these as does other things and can create an insulator that reduces or even blocks the flow of current into the device.
No change. I cleaned the springs and contacts with nail polish remover despite not seeing any oxidation or buildup.

That's what I meant. Without opening up the remote at this point it's hard to say what exactly is wrong with it. Some times it can be a component that the solder has loosened up from being handled and dropped while other other times it can be liquids that have worked their way in or has just gone bad. The smart remote for my Samsung smart tv would not work with the cable box randomly and I would have to unplug the tv and everything attached to it initially to do a hard reset of the tv ( Samsung tech support ) but that stopped working. Opening the remote from what I can see will be a one way route so I ordered a new one from Amazon but I will open up the old one to see what's going on with it as I am confident the issue is in the remote itself.

If you can get your remote open start with checking the wiring going from the springs and pads to the board and look for damage then look over the board and all of it's components checking for loose looking/feeling parts and signs of corrosion and damage but this is all in the assumption that you want to tackle repairing it and willing to order the bits and tools or have the tools to fix it. I work as a senior electronics technician and I get carried away on this stuff.

I used to get carried away on this stuff, but cleaning contacts is as far as I will go now, especially after all the other diagnostics I've tried.

With some of the buttons getting weak and harder to press, time to see if I can talk Dish into sending me a free replacement. That'll be another round of discussion.:)

Reactions: TheKrell
I think my 20.0 IR remote is fubar. I noticed recently that I could no longer control the volume or power on my TV with the dish remote. The instructions say to hold down the TV mode button until all four mode lights light up. Instead of staying on solid, they flash for a second or two and then turn off. I never get a chance to enter the 3 digit code.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a way around this?
I think you just need a new remote. There are various sources for those remotes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts