Lost all my recordings on my 508 since...

TPnMD

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2004
...I upgraded my system to DISH Pro LNBs. I don't know if this is the cause, don't know how it could be, but all I know since I have moved from old legacy equipment to a DP-34 with DP LNBs ( have 61.5/110/119) about a month ago. We probably had over 75 recordings, some going back at least 2 1/2 years and many protected as well. We noticed because we are always jockying for recording space and generally went between 1-15 hours left per week. Then we come home and there's 25 hours left, then the next week 32 hours, then 45 hours left. The more hours that were left, we now started to notice the recorded programs missing. Well, now there are no recordings left prior to Feb. 04, 2007 on the machine. All recordings gone. I like the space it provided me, but that's all.

Anyone have this problem? Did I miss the thread talking about failing 508s? Is my hard drive crashing?

From time to time I do move them to DVD, but since we are always watching, I can only do that over night or while at work. I HAVE AN IDEA!:eureka

DISH needs to make it where you can set up multiple programs to play from your DVR one after another after setting it. With this feature, I could move 3-4 hours of DVR recordings at a time to a DVD then finalize the DVD when I got home. If this feature is available, shame on me for not knowing.

TPnMD

Dish 5xx receivers were infected with a virus called software revision p365.

Basically Dish Networks latest attempt to have those grandfathered (501/508 owners) pay the DVR fee......

If losing your recordings is the only problem you are experiencing you have it good ;)

My 501 has been doing the same thing. When I called Dish they told me to turn it off with the remote and unplug it, well that was after they kept asking me if the recordings were protected or if someone else could have deleted them.

Last edited:
I decided not to purchase a tuner/ recorder because I didn't want to pay a monthly service charge, and that the info recorded could be lost.
This past Christmas, at WalMart, I found a 160 gig hard drive/ dvd burner made by Philips , a dvdr3455h for 333.00, which is kind of pricey but I bought it anyway.
As it turned out, I also had to purchase the code from yesdvd for an additional 40.00 from their website, ( this is not printed on the box when you buy it, so the customer won't know until you try to burn your 4th dvd, it only lets you burn 3 disks originally) but now all is fine.
It has a great picture quality, and all the other info you want to know about it can be found online by searching with "dvdr3455h". The only thing, is that it is a slave to channel 3, or the show you are watching, and will record whatever is on the screen. It records 6 hours at a time and automatically continues until you stop it. Then you divide the titles, edit the commercials , give the show a name and burn it to a disk. You will never again lose a show to a glitch in the system and this may be a way to solve your problem. Plus privacy and no monthly fees were what I wanted most. I hope this helps you out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts