Lost HD channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mm652

Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
CO
A few weeks back, I started to get occasional loss of satellite signal (771) messages on HD channels. At first, it didn't last and if I flipped away to another channel the signal would return. However, the problem became increasingly regular over the course of a couple of days, until I couldn't even flip to certain HD channels (CNN and SNY in particular) without immediately losing the signal. Oddly, other HD channels dropped out less frequently (such as HGTV and Food Network). Also, as the problem worsened, it knocked out the signal even for the SD channels.

I followed the instructions from D* and reset everything, and checked all connections several times. Nothing seemed to work. Finally, I removed the B-band converter and ran the cable from the dish directly into the box. Obviously, by doing this I lost access to most HD channels (I still had the channels like ESPN that were around before the expansion). However, this seemed to solve the problem, and I haven't had a lost satellite signal since.

I assumed that this meant the problem was a broken B-band converter, so I requested a new one from D*. The new B-band converters arrived today, but installing them did not correct the problem. In fact, I was excited for about five seconds, and then the signal immediately dropped.

So I am just appealing to the expertise here before I spend $80 on a service call...any ideas? I got my service last August and I haven't had any other problems. I have a slimline dish (5lnb?) and an H20 receiver, and we live in the mountains out West, so signal strength is not usually an issue. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

For Satellite 101, transponders 18, 20, and 28 are 0, but all of the other readings are in the mid-90s to 100.

For Satellite 103 (b), I have all 0s for the 16 transponders.

For Satellite 99 (b), the readings are 82, 0, 0, 0, 58, 0.

This is all without a b-band converter attached, BTW, but I assume that makes no difference.

your 101 looks good..18 20 and 28 are dead (no programming...the 103 will only come in with the b band converters. Since the 103 signal is relative to the 101, it should be good with the bbands on... My next question is is your dish the new slimline ir is it the generation 1 ( is the lnb on two seperate assemblies aka "side car", or are they all on a one piece assembly??) You have an H20 which ist the first series of compatible units, so i m guessing you have a generation 1. If this is so, then it may have settled in which case:

if u can get to your dish, youre going to need a 1/2 inch nut driver, Stand behind the dish and you will see two gold nuts with black dials on them. You need to turn the nut on the left 5 full turns counter clockwise. Then, apply the new bband converter to the receiver, pull the power, plug it back in and your HDs should all be back. If this doesnt work, being that your 101 levels are so good, it could be a faulty LNB or even the receiver, in which case you will have to have a service call to replace the dish.
I have however seen customers call and tell DirecTV that they have a generation 1 dish and an H20 and would like a slimline dish and an H21...you can tell them a technician told you you need them and theyll usually do the upgrade for free. you can get back to me at swink6996@comcast.net.

In fact, I can get to my dish, because it is just on the deck outside our family room. I believe I have the Generation 1 dish (it says DTVSTLNB on the pointing towards the dish, and there is only one piece).

As for the gold nuts with the black dials, are you referring to the black dials that are numbered? There are two gold nuts--one on the right backside, and one on the left, but on the inner part of the mount, and perpendicular to the other. These each have a sort of bezel which is black and has tick marks with numbers.

I've been wary of doing anything to the dish, for fear of messing up the alignment and losing the signal altogether. Would this adjustment in fact change the alignment? How likely is losing my TV altogether if I mess this up?

Thanks so much for your help.

If the dish says slimline on it, then you will turn the left screw (with the dial on it) 5 turns CLOCKWISE. (the old sidecr versions are reverse). All this does is slightly adjust your elevation. this adjustment is so slight (HD is VERY picky) that the chances of losing your service are none. if you notice any advers effects, just turn it 5 full turns the opposite way. I do so many service calls on these things, its like muscle memory. What this adjustment does is pull the dish up a little bit, not even enought to be noticeable to the eye.

I made the adjustment you suggested, but the problem persists. I checked the signal strength and some things have changed. On 101, I now have mid-90s for all odd transponders and 0s for all even transponders. The 99 (b) signals have dropped to 69 0 0 0 44 0. Of course, I still have all 0s on 103 (b).

Do these readings suggest anything? Any other ideas? Unfortunately, it may be getting close to the time to schedule a service call.

0's on all evens and 90s on the odds means you have a short, either in the LNB or the cables. Its more than likely rusted connectors on the outside (in which case you would need a service call) Let me know if thats what happens..

I have exactly the same problem. It happens on my HD DVR but not on my standard HD reciever which always shows very strong signal strength. The only channels involved are HD channels on the new sat. What is particularly strange is that it usually happens early in the afternoon and by evening everything is fine. Similar to mm652, this started a few weeks ago. Could the problem be with the DVR receiver?

I have exactly the same problem. It happens on my HD DVR but not on my standard HD reciever which always shows very strong signal strength. The only channels involved are HD channels on the new sat. What is particularly strange is that it usually happens early in the afternoon and by evening everything is fine. Similar to mm652, this started a few weeks ago. Could the problem be with the DVR receiver?
Its possible, Best thing to do is Call Directv.

Had the service call this morning and it turns out I needed a new receiver. Unfortunately, I got an H21, so now I need to run the OTA through my TV. Other than that, the guy did a good job and let me watch and learn a few things. Anyway, thanks for the help.

Bigshot202-"Then, apply the new bband converter to the receiver, pull the power, plug it back in and your HDs should all be back. If this doesnt work, being that your 101 levels are so good, it could be a faulty LNB or even the receiver"

mm652-"Had the service call this morning and it turns out I needed a new receiver. "

Dats why im de beeeeeeeeeeeeest!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)