Lost KYW channel 3 Philadelphia

Radioguy41

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Lehighton, PA
KYW channel 3 (CBS) Philadelphia dropped off the antenna a couple of days ago. Multiple rescans don't find it although all other channels (63) are found. Apparently, according to their website, they are still on the air but I no longer receive them. Anybody else notice a problem?

KYW channel 3 (CBS) Philadelphia dropped off the antenna a couple of days ago. Multiple rescans don't find it although all other channels (63) are found. Apparently, according to their website, they are still on the air but I no longer receive them. Anybody else notice a problem?

Looks like they may be operating on an STA until they get their main transmitter operational again-

28BFF0B4-9852-49A9-8181-36D4E9F3BA63.png

Under that data I see DTV-STA had an expiration date of 11/13/2019 which is right about when I lost reception but I'm not sure exactly what that means?

Here is their official reply. It does not explain why I could receive their signal perfectly until 11/13 when it suddenly disappeared.

Hi, Larry-

This has been an issue for some of our viewers, and we know that it's frustrating. When we changed signal frequencies on 8/1/19, we also moved to a temporary antenna position that is not as tall as our former site, and some viewers may not be able to pick up our signal right now. The good news is that we will be moving to a new taller antenna position that will greatly improve our reception, but that move won’t happen until the early part of 2020. In the meantime, viewers impacted may need to explore alternate ways to receive our signal (like a streaming app or other delivery methods).

As a bit more background - there are 5 main factors that determine whether a viewer can receive us in any given location:
1) Effective Radiated Power
2) Antenna height/pattern
3) Viewer’s location
4) Viewer’s equipment (antenna/STB)
5) Channel performance (propagation/adjacent channels/other interference)

The station controls the first two and there have not been any additional changes since 8/1/19. Channel performance does change seasonally, so if the viewer hasn’t moved or changed their equipment that could be causing the impact.

Please contact us again in early 2020 so that we can advise you on when our antenna will be relocated.

Thanks

No problem here in Western NJ, about 40 miles from Philly. We are a couple of hundred feet above sea level so that helps. Hope you get it back soon.

The person I was communicating with gave me the email address of the engineer so we'll see what he has to say. Doing this in the middle of football season wasn't well thought out.

Reactions: FTA4PA
The person I was communicating with gave me the email address of the engineer so we'll see what he has to say. Doing this in the middle of football season wasn't well thought out.

They don't care it is Football season, they have a job to do lol...

From what they're telling me they're getting complaints about it. The problem is they're the Eagles local affiliate and Eagles fans can get just a wee bit testy when they can't get the game. Remember, these are the fans that threw snowballs at Santa. ;)

• Wow
Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)