lost locals frequency during good weather?

akaArturoK

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Western NC
Does anybody have any idea how often I might expect to lose all local channels (via satellite) assuming no bad weather? I had that twice in my first six days.

Virtually never. Are you sure it is only your local channels? Without further info that's all can help you with. (What locals and or what satellite ARC, have you checked your signal strengths....)

Virtually never. Are you sure it is only your local channels? Without further info that's all can help you with. (What locals and or what satellite ARC, have you checked your signal strengths....)

Definitely could get nationals such as CNNHD, but of course I couldn't check them all. I got a message to the effect that DISH knew about the problem, do not call, etc. All locals in the Asheville NC (i.e., Greenville SC) market went out at the same time. We were watching UNCTV-HD on channel 33. I haven't had time yet to learn about finding which bird and what the signal strengths are. A message came up for maybe 30 seconds with some technical info, perhaps what you asked, but I didn't copy it down and I'm too new at this (and too old) to read it and remember.

It is possible if there is bad weather where the signal is sent up to the satellite for there to be a brief interruption, but it is rare when you have good weather to lose it.

Looks to me that you are on what is called the Eastern ARC, and your locals are on the 61.5 satellite. Can you figure out how to see the signal strength of that satellite? (Menu, system setup, installation, point dish) Put the satellite on 61.5 and see what signal strengths you are getting, and are they pretty solid or do they go up and down alot? If you continue to have problems, sounds like you have a new installation, just call them and tell them they need to come back out that you keep losing the signal.

It is possible if there is bad weather where the signal is sent up to the satellite for there to be a brief interruption, but it is rare when you have good weather to lose it.

Looks to me that you are on what is called the Eastern ARC, and your locals are on the 61.5 satellite. Can you figure out how to see the signal strength of that satellite? (Menu, system setup, installation, point dish) Put the satellite on 61.5 and see what signal strengths you are getting, and are they pretty solid or do they go up and down alot? If you continue to have problems, sounds like you have a new installation, just call them and tell them they need to come back out that you keep losing the signal.
This all sounds reasonable. I checked the weather radar and there may have been a storm in Greenville SC where, I suspect, the uplink is.

... Can you figure out how to see the signal strength of that satellite? (Menu, system setup, installation, point dish) Put the satellite on 61.5 and see what signal strengths you are getting, and are they pretty solid or do they go up and down alot? If you continue to have problems, sounds like you have a new installation, just call them and tell them they need to come back out that you keep losing the signal.

Following your instructions, I seem to be getting a signal strength of 43. The number stays steady, but the bar graph jumps around some. I'd say it ranges from 40-48, but it's hard to say given the sparse scale on the graphic. What is "alot" with respect to signal strength variation? If the number shown doesn't vary, does it matter that the graphic does? Caveat: I am pretty deep when it comes to computers but pretty shallow on communications and almost zero on satellite comms.

That sounds normal for your area, 43 to 46 or so. The bar graph moving that much is normal. I would it give a few days and see if it keeps happening. Since it appears to be just the locals, probably not anything wrong on your end.

You will find heavy rain itself does not usually interfere with the signal. It's the storm head when it gets between your dish and the satellite. If you lose the signal during a storm it usually is for a very short duration. And welcome to the forums!

Does anybody have any idea how often I might expect to lose all local channels (via satellite) assuming no bad weather? I had that twice in my first six days.
I live in western NC and I frequently lose Channel 13 in Asheville. It usually lasts only a few minutes and doesn't happen on any other channel. I just suspect a simple uplink problem. It has happened in good weather also.

I had the same thing happen to me earlier but the channels came back after turning to channels from 110/119/129. I get my locals from 77.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts