Lost my Locals..Did Los Angeles move ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I "moved" back home and asked for an upgrade to a Dish 1000 Plus and got it, there installing it tommorrow between 8am and 12pm. I think the only reason they did it is because the Charlotte channels remained active on my account. Oh well. :)

I too lost my LA Locals...but only the HD versions...the SD channels are still up and running in the 8000 range. I get my local/locals through OTA but I need more news programming from the Big City than my rural stations (3 of them) can provide. I'd miss my news over losing LA HD.

I hear you there!! :)
I "moved" to my neighboring, big city, DMA for the much better regional news coverage than that of my cowtown locals.

Re a Directv locals only package, you might check out their website, which indicates a Directv Basic package for $9.95, which includes local channels. This is under their International Programming section. Besides the locals, it's nothing but a bunch of shopping channel garbage, but if that's all you want, it should fit the bill.

Personally, I'm subscribing to the international Preferred Choice package, which is $33/month and is a far greater value than the similarly priced Family Package. The only catch to subscribing to either of the two international package offerings, is that one must also subscribe to some kind -- any kind -- of foreign programming. There is a $5.00/month Filipino radio station which is the cheapest thing on the menu. To actually receive this station, Directv will say you have to upgrade your dish, but you can decline it. In effect, you'll be paying for a station that you never receive, but this will allow you to be able to get your locals only for $15/month.

(BTW, this is standard def only...)

LOL, that was what I was thinking.

Personally I have no sympathy for anyone who chose to "move" and now have lost the locals they "moved" to. But that may just be me.

I hope it's just you. I 'moved' to Atlanta years ago so that I would receive the Braves games and then stayed because there is no local HD on DISH where I live. So now, due to Spot Beams, I am watching OTA local HD and it goes in and out and the signal is inconsistent.

I wasn't cheating DISH by 'moving' as I was paying the exact same and apparently it didn't bother them, as the CSRs move people without a second thought.

Last edited:
I hope it's just you. I 'moved' to Atlanta years ago so that I would receive the Braves games and then stayed because there is no local HD on DISH where I live. So now, due to Spot Beams, I am watching OTA local HD and it goes in and out and the signal is inconsistent.

I wasn't cheating DISH by 'moving' as I was paying the exact same and apparently it didn't bother them, as the CSRs move people without a second thought.
First, be thankful that you can receive any OTA at all. A lot of us can't and we take what Dish can offer us. Whether it's SD or HD. Second, don't come here crying because Dish put "your" locals on spotbeam and you can no longer receive them. Third, it didn't bother Dish that you "moved" because they don't really have any way of verifying whether you did or not. It may not make a difference to them, but it does to some members here. What if Dish was investigated and the FCC pulled their license to carry locals because of all of you "movers"? And lastly, Dish can offer more SD and HD LIL's using spotbeams. Did you bother to do any research before you posted? Or are you still jumping up and down screaming," I want YOUR locals! It's not fair! It's not fair! It's not fair!"

A piece of advice: Start loading that U-haul!

I want to know when I am going to get my ACTUAL locals. That is all I care about. It is only 2 channels, but if I buy them I also get the guide information for the digital channels for the neighboring DMA (of which I can get almost every channel via antenna).

There are a few who do not OTA and no locals even SD from Dish. Hence the need for moving. But not going to whine. Looking at options for Canadian or Direct.
Or may just go Internet

What I think is funny is with the advent of Google Maps and others, I'm surprised a CSR hasn't typed in someone's "new" address they moved to, gone into photograph mode and said, "So, you live in the middle of that pine forest at 9000 feet?" LOL

First, be thankful that you can receive any OTA at all. A lot of us can't and we take what Dish can offer us. Whether it's SD or HD. Second, don't come here crying because Dish put "your" locals on spotbeam and you can no longer receive them. Third, it didn't bother Dish that you "moved" because they don't really have any way of verifying whether you did or not. It may not make a difference to them, but it does to some members here. What if Dish was investigated and the FCC pulled their license to carry locals because of all of you "movers"? And lastly, Dish can offer more SD and HD LIL's using spotbeams. Did you bother to do any research before you posted? Or are you still jumping up and down screaming," I want YOUR locals! It's not fair! It's not fair! It's not fair!"

A piece of advice: Start loading that U-haul!

Am I missing something here? I don't think anyone in this thread has been crying.
Maybe my original post should not have said My Locals, but it was just a figure of speech.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)