Lost Odd T's on 119

dave7424

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Louisville, Ky
Anyone else having trouble with 119 ??? After 110 came back up, we had 2 days without trouble. Now 110 is at 115 signal strength. 119 evens at 75, and 119 odds at zero. I can't see where aiming the dish would help....any ideas ?? Anyone else having trouble ?

Edit....no signal strength on T's 1,3,5,7,9 on 119.

Ok, 1-9 are spotbeams...nevermind.

I installed a new legacy quad 4 lnb, ran a check switch and all the receivers found the sat signal. Signal levels looked good, at least for 1/2 hour. Then back to the acquiring sat signal block. I was able to get past that block only on the 811 by checking the 61.5 signal strength. Then I can look at channels from 119 or 110, but they pixelate like rain fade. The sys infor screen on the 811 shows good signal strength from all 3 sats. How can I have good signal strength but pixelate at the same time ?? Do I need to redo all the rf connectors going to the dish 500 ?

Because Legacy odds and evens are on separate cables you could have a rusted connector on one, which would reduce/stop your signal--inspect cable ends inside F connector. 119 at 75 is low, 110 at 115 is very good to high. Check skew and dish post verticality. Give numbers for TP 11 and 12 on each.
-Ken

Actually legacy odds and evens are not on different cables, they are bandstacked odds at 13v and evens at 18 volts.
If they was on different cables an individual with only a one sat solution for example 61.5 there would be 2 cables coming from the lnbf into a switch, which is not the case.
A switch is used to combine 119,110 a 2 sat location not odds and evens. As a general rule if odds are missing you have a bad lnbf, if evens are missing its usually a bad cable.
As the prior person said transponders 1,3,5,7,9 are spotbeams and you would not get them unless your locals are on spotbeams on sat 119.

atr

They are different polarizations, sorry. Band stacking refers to Dish Pro, not to legacy as dave7424 said he had. Different voltages are used by say an SW21 to switch polarities whereas a DP21 select a different band. AFAIK.

So a missing/broken LNB cable on a legacy system will lose 1/2 the channels.

That most birds have TP 11 and 12 allows testing for odd and even without worrying about spot beams.
-Ken

Checked the ground blocks near the dish and they were heavily corroded. I didn't have a crimp tool when I installed the quad a few years ago, so I replaced all the connectors around the ground block. Reoriented the ground blocks so that they were level and put loops in the lines before attaching to the ground block. I was surprised that there was that much corrosion as I had used the o-ring connectors. While I had the ladder out in the heat, I tweaked the azimuth and elevation and now have 90+ on all 4 receivers. Picture looks better to boot.

No Nickelodeon, no Disney....my three year old was ready to trade me in.

KKlare: Your statements are basically correct when referring to the connections from an LNB to an external multi-switch, but NOT when a receiver is connected directly to the LNB, or to the switch - internal or external.

In the case of a Legacy Twin or Quad, the switch is built into the housing, so the double connection from the LNBs is not seen.

We could go into a whole tutorial on Legacy & DishPro switching - but I think it can be found in the index sticky at the top of the forum. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)