Lost one satellite feed . . . what's wrong??

mitchflorida

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
All of a sudden , I can just receive satellite 110 . . . 119 is not to be found anywhere. I did the test switch routine, it says 110 ok, 119 nc.

Dish wants to charge me $100 service fee to fix this. Anything I can do on my own???

Help!

It's hard to say we need more info.
Did it just go out today or during the storm?
What type of dish do you have?
What type of LNBF's do you have and switches?

I have a 500 dish. The 119 satellite stopped appearing this morning, it was sunny outside. and it not been raining today. Can the lnb switch just go bad alll of a sudden? That's amazing

Now Dish says they will fed ex me a new lnb switch . . is it easy to install?

My receiver is a 522, but it sounds like that is not the problem. I guess the only way to fix the lnb is to replace it?

mitchflorida said:
I have a 500 dish. The 119 satellite stopped appearing this morning, it was sunny outside. and it not been raining today. Can the lnb switch just go bad alll of a sudden? That's amazing

Now Dish says they will fed ex me a new lnb switch . . is it easy to install?

My receiver is a 522, but it sounds like that is not the problem. I guess the only way to fix the lnb is to replace it?
With DishPro, the LNB and switch are integrated. I had to take my LNB off the arm the other day to add a line to it. Taking it off isn't bad, but getting back on was a pain. Don't lose the little hex nut from the bolt that fastens it to the arm.

Some people say to put a dab of silicone on the RG6 connectors after you put them on the LNB, to keep out moisture.

Before you take the LNB off, are there any trees growing in your line of sight? Are you sure that's not the problem?

Sounds like a bad sw21. From your information, I can't be sure.

But, most likely, wind driven rain has entered either the connector or the connection to the switch.

Time and time again, it's water damage. The industry should require that all connections be enclosed in weatherproof boxes. But they are cheap, wanting to save $10 or so. All connections, including grounding blocks, should be placed in weather protected locations or weatherproof enclosures.

The dish is grounded , at least it appears to be . . The ground goes from the coax of the lnb to a solid ground.

No question the lnb is soaking wet . . it rains all the time in Florida. Could it getting wet cause the problem?

mitchflorida said:
The dish is grounded , at least it appears to be . . The ground goes from the coax of the lnb to a solid ground.

No question the lnb is soaking wet . . it rains all the time in Florida. Could it getting wet cause the problem?

It's almost always the connections. Water gets into the connections. It manifests itself in now switching transponders or just totally destroying or shorting out the components.

In the past, I've tried to sell the customer the weatherproof box for an additional few dollars. Very very few customers accepted the offer, and many were suspicious and thought it was the old bait and switch. So, I no longer offer it. I just include the box into the price quote.

I've never since had another service call based on a bad connector.

The customers deserve to get a water-proof box , paid for by Dish Network. This is a big hassle for me. and them as well.

They are sending me a new one at their expense. Can't someone tell those #$%^&*(!! at Dish Network to do it right the first time?

Most likley it is your LNBF it sounds like you have a Twin LNBF. If it was your wire or connections you would have a problem on 110 also and usually you would have half of 119 and half of 110. Since you have a 522 you shouldn't have a ccs9601 LNBF. But check your connections to make sure they are DRY inside and no signs of rust. Also when you remove your LNBF remove the 2 screws under the LNBF not the bolt and nut like the other person did above.

Dave nye said:
I would say it is probably a bad LNB. Probably caused by the dish not being grounded.

Probably caused by little evil cable gnomes who attack your lnbf's at night to get you frustrated and wanting to switch back.

</sarcasm>

sorry, it's a pet peeve... grounding has no, repeat, absolutely NO affect on signal strength or loss.

The possibility of an ungrounded lnbf being sparked out by static buildup is slim, chances are it's more likely to be manufactured failure. Blown internal component.. more likely from a power spike sent from a faulty receiver.

On Sunday morning July 10th (EST) I lost 119 from the guide on my 921. I went into menu 6-2 and the switch showed all four satellites and signal was present on 119. At that time I was recording a program but after that was over I rebooted the box and the guide was fully populated again. My theory is that I may have had a momentary switch failure or loss of signal. This has never happened before but since others have now reported loosing 119 I wanted to share my experience into the mix.
Attention: To all others did this occur last Sunday?

Back to the drawing board . . . I received a new DPP Twin LNB, and changed it out. . still no difference. When I point dish I receive high readings on Satellite 110, nothing on 119.

If it is isn't the LNB or switch, could it be caused by a faulty receiver that can't "read" 119 transmissions? Any other ideas ?

Do you have clear view to the skies? The 119 signal sits lower in the sky than 110. More often than not, it's either the receiver or the dish out of alignment. What does the check switch status say? Only one satellite detected? Or No Switch box detected?

Have you checked you to see if your mast is level and the skew and elev. is on the correct settings. If so the best thing to do is add the dish protection plan for 5.00 per month and have someone come look at it.

It will cost you 30.00 for the service call but they will be able to find out exactly what is wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)