Lost respect for Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HCI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2005
land of the ice and snow
First off I have been an installer for a couple of years now I do mainly Direcway but also do some Dish and Direct.

I live in the northern part of Mississippi and there are alot of shelters and people that have come up from the southern part of the state and new Orleans. Today there was a church "that was a red cross shelter" trying to get a receiver installed so the refugees could see what was happening and try to get an idea of when they could go back to what home they had.

This shelter had at least 200 people and more come in while I was there. The receiver I was putting in was one from a volunteer working at the shelter. It had been deactivated. When I called Direct they at first told me that they would have to seen them a new access card, I told them they could not wait. I explained the situation and the csr told me to hold. When she come back on she said there was nothing they could do because they would have to set up a whole new account under the Church as a commercial account. I told her that was crazy they receiver was only going to be there for only a week or two max. She put me back on hold and talked to her supervisor. I took her 2 or 3 Min's to come back. She again told me there was nothing they could do, I told her I will just give them a new receiver and the guy could put it in his house when all of this is over. She went on and on about how he would have to sign a one year contract etc. etc. Bullsh!t Bullsh!t. But she said we could not activate the receiver since it was not at the customers residents.

By this time I was really pissed off and asked to talk to her supervisor myself. She put me on hold and came back and said it would be 10 to 15 Min's. I asked her how she was able to talk to them so fast earlier and now its going to be 10 to 15 Min's. She gave me more excuses and I finally told her I would wait. I waited 20 yes 20 Min's and no answer no csr to come back on the line nothing.

I finally gave them a new receiver and just told the csr that it was being activated at the customers house.

I thought this was really sorry of directv in the worst way. If it was a some one who wanted to put it in there vacation home for a week or 2 they would have no problem with that.

Whats the deal?

The big boys don't care what the deal is, it's there way or no way. it's a shame though. I am a cable tech and hell, we would have gave them the service and install free for the time they where there due to circumstances no questions asked. if they want to they can come over to northeast Alabama.

They should be in everyone's prayers. We have a technician in Bay Sait Louis that we have not heard from since Monday morning. The last we heard from him was that him and his family was in the hall way with a matress over there head.

Look... while I understand the frustration and anger, there's only so much a CSR could do in that situation. They have limited abilities to do anything on their computers. And I have to suspect that the phone banks are fairly busy right now.

Yep, called the wrong people to do what you wanted, it may not excuse whatever rudeness she may have had (some can be assumed because you were not getting your way) but you need to call someone higher up than a CSR or their suprv.

It is a black mark on DirecTV.

But is it possible for the lowly tech to activate that card? And the shift supervisor any better? DTV should have an escalation policy for such events if they front line doesn't have the powers.

D* to help out?

Just called D* to find out what I can do to help with getting accounts set up and placed in my name for the victims. I was told to tune in to ch. 100 which has been dedicated to assisting with hurricane Katrina info. They now have 250 e-mail response members, and text message members working to assist with getting the message out. They have donated 900 receivers and free service (set up as commercial accounts at no charge) to shelters and safe house locations. I was told there is nothing else I can do to help but call red cross or make a donation.

I know how it goes, I was in hurricane Andrew and my whole house was flooded. They were very nice about everything, replaced dish, all of my receivers, and even had a tech come out to make sure everything was working all at no charge. I didn't have to worry about claiming it on insurance, and truthfully didn't really need to have it replaced... it all worked, it was just a little wet.

I think this was just a case of getting the wrong person at the wrong time.

Yeah channel 100 does not require a subscription or even activation. Just hook it up and your good to go.

I agree on the wrong person, typically when I get a moron on the phone (for example, I call MS Windows activation about 3 times a week, and I get some REAL idiots) I just hang up and call back, its faster, quicker, and easier if you get someone who will just provide good customer service.

Ive found the CSR's pretty good when Ive called in. They are usually pretty understanding. The real a**holes are the ones answering the emails IMO. I think there SOP is deny deny deny no matter the arguement. I experienced this with my 200 dollar Voom rebate. Until I think they finally investigated the phone conversations and approved it. Its getting so you have to record those yourself for your own protection against jerk CSR's

I do have to say (as a former DTV call center employee) that we are not all idiots...but there are some there. In this particular situation, the CSR did follow DTV's policies (requires new A/C for activating a used receiver) although given where it was going I know I would have done it anyway.

For the record, DTV only had 3 call centers when I left in April, two of which were Tech Support and the other was MBB/CIS/Tech/CRG. Very few mainbank (general billing/programming/activation/etc.) CSR's there, and those that were, were in their 3 week OJT (employed about 2-3 weeks). There are a few other call centers which are an outside company.

they had your word (and you could be anyone calling in) that it was legit.

red cross had a special account already for shelter recievers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

HD NFL Games

D10-200 Upgrades

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)