Lost signal on 311 receiver (DP34 switch with SuperDish)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gongura

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
I have been getting an ERROR message when I try to access the 119/110 channels. The message says that the signal is lost. This started about 3-4 days ago. When I pull the reciever plug out of the socket and plug it back in again the problem seems to disappear only to appear again after say 30-40 minutes. I have a SuperDish with a DP34 switch and just one 311 receiver. I called Dish and they made me go through the System One/System Three menus. The System One menu does show red under 119 (green for 110 and 121). When this ERROR first happened I assumed it must be the weather (its been cloudya nd raining on the West Coast since a week now) but that does not explain why the picture should come back after I 're-plug' the receiver. I also checked the cable connection to the receiver to ensure it is tight.

Its not that the dish is out of alignment? (it is mounted on a wooden post in my backyard) because I do get the 121 channels.

Is it the receiver? Dish can send a technician and charge me $$$$. The other option they gave me is to get the receiver checked at Radio Shack.

Appreciate any insight you folks may have on this.

Thanks!

I have been seeing this problem a bit more lately with the 311's for some reason online and a few of my customers had this issue as well. It could be a DP-34 switch gone bad. How long have you had the system? Try take the coax cable off of port one on the bottom of the switch and put it on port 2 (only as soon as you see that it has failed on port 1) and see what happens without unplugging the receiver. If you had this for less than one year and you get a signal on the second port for several days then it means that the first port went bad. If you get the same results from port 2 immediately then there may be another issue.

Had the SD and receiver for less then a year. Tahnks for the advice will try switching ports as soon as I see the ERROR message. BTW, will Dish replace the DP34 if it is bad (and is the port test the only way to confirm this)?

Thanks again!

Dish Network will replace the DP34 if it is confirmed that it is bad. The second port may work for a while and then fail. This is what happened when I checked to see what was wrong with one of my customer's systems. I replaced the switch and all was fine. If you bypass the switch completely and get all the satellite signals in then that is a good sign that the switch has failed.

I've been dealing with the same problem on my 5 311's for the last 3 months. I have replaced all the connectors, swapped DP34's and LNB's, checked for voltage at the switch and at the LNB's.

In my case and it's still unknown if that was the problem, was a bad tuner in one TV. I put an RF Modulator on this TV and it's been almost a week since the last lost of signal. I found out that the tuner leaks voltage and like I said I still don't know for sure if that was the problem.

I suggest you check the connectors and make sure there is no corrosion, make sure they are tight at the LNB's. If you have a multimeter, check for the voltage at the switches and LNB's. I'd also try what Stargazer suggested but if it's the same problem that I had when you swap ports you will get the same results, "Wrong Satellite" and no lock.

Dp34

I'm having a similar problem, but in my case 110 is not showing up. I've only had my Super Dish and DP34 for little over a month. Dish is sending the installers back out. Dish thinks that the Super Dish moved out of position.
I don't have a 311. I'm using a 508, 811, and a 6000.

This coming Monday I'll know whether my DP34 has gone bad or if it was something with the Super Dish.

I've had Dish since 96 and never had this problem!!

Lost signal on 311 (SD with DP34)

Called Dish and they are shipping a new DP34 switch. Hoepfully this should correct the problem. I don't think my SD is out of position since if it did then I should not get the 110/119 birds even after I pull the receiver plug and put it back on? Will update once I get my new switch. Thanks everyone!

The dish installers came out yesterday and fixed my sat 110 problem.
Something on the super dish had gone bad and thus was not passing the signal from sat 110 to the switch. I can't recall what the installer replaced, but will add it once I get home and see the invoice again!! (hopefully I saved it).

Anyways it took them 10 minutes to fix the problem, and best part was the install was still under the 90 day warranty from Dish.

Checked my install invoice from last night and the tech replaced a Barrel Connector as it was not passing signal from sat 110.

New DP 34 switch but I get a Black & White Picture now

Installed DP34 switch and now I see a B/W picture. Also see a NC under 110 (System One menu). The other 2 (121 & 119) show 'Dual Feed'.

Did check switch still could not correct the problem. Also checked the connections from the LNB's and near the switch to ensure they are all tight, no corrosion etc.

Called Dish and the rep told me to connect my 311 to the tV using coax (I have been using S-Video). Will try that but not sure if that is going to solve the problem since I have used S-Video earlier and did not have any problems. What else should I do? Please help!

Sorry folks...Should have checked the right thread. But thanks to Simon I corrected my B/W problem. Also RECHECKED the cable connections on my SD where they connect to the LNB's and after tightening the cables and doing a check switch I am getting all the channels..

One last question (Simon don't flame for not posting it in a 4700 related thread :))

Can I use my old 4700 with the SD/DP34 by connecting a R6 to one of the ports of DP34 and connecting it to my 4700 or do I need any adapter?

Thanks again folks..Your advice saved me $$$$ :)))

DP adapter for 4700/4900

How much does a DP Adapter cost? Is it cheaper & better to just buy a 311/322 ?

I have a DP Adaptor for sale that is brand new that I will sell you for around $40 shipped if your in the continental U.S.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts