Lots of problems with HD boxes...

GadgetRick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
Near NYC
I have the standard iO HD cable box and the DVR (8300). Both of these boxes have given me a TON of problems lately.

On the non-DVR:
-slower than normal guide response
-guide just won't show up, need to unplug unit about every other day to get it back

On the DVR:
-slower than normal guide response
-lots of issues with getting it to record programs properly (too many to really put my finger on them)
-problems playing back recorded programs--will play program and will just get a black screen. After getting out of DVR screen and back, SOMETIMES I can actually get the program to play. I also cannot delete program during this time. VERY frustrating.

Can they PLEASE get the software thing worked out????

The Rickster

I've thought about it but the delays for the guide are the same as with the other box. I've hit the iO button and waited for up to a minute before getting anything to come up. The screen goes black and I still have audio. I also have had it (the non-DVR HD box) just lock up to where I can't get ANY guide info up. I hit the iO button and nothing happens. I usually have to restart the box to get it back.

With the dvr problems I'm thinking it's quirkiness in the software but I don't really know. I've got to play with it (when I have time) to see exactly when things work and don't work. I sort of think the box is ok, I think it's problems with the software.

The Rickster

I had a similar problem recently. It wasn't the box. I was getting poor signal strength over the cable into the box. I had a splitter that went bad. I think water got into it.

My HD/DVR works just fine and have no problems. Sounds like you have either a box or signal problem. I find that Cablevision service is prompt and professional. I'd call them and let them send a tech to troubleshoot. No cost to you, you just have to be there.

Yeah, I've REALLY got to make some time to call them. The non-DVR box has been acting worse lately. I'll hit the iO button and the screen will go black (still have audio) and it'll just stay black. I have to restart the box and sometimes it takes a few tries to get it back working.

And, worse yet, the other night the DVR just didn't record one show (don't know why). And, with another, it recorded 1 minute and had a, "User Canceled," message. I didn't cancel that. The next night, I went in and saw the show it didn't list as recorded in the recorded programs list (same day/time, too). Strange...

Then, the next night, my wife and I were watching the DVR and it just turned itself off. I turned it back on and it seemed ok but that tells me something strange is happening.

Hopefully, I'll have some time next week. Just a busy time of year for me...

Thanks.

The Rickster

On hold right now. Tried to get to the guide. Got the, "Accessing Guide," message for about 45 seconds. Then got the iO logo for about 5 minutes before I decided to restart the box...AGAIN.

Called tech support and found they now have the most f**kING annoying voice recognition system. Asks me to describe the problem. Come on! You can't do tech support that way!!! Kept pounding the zero button until I got myself into a queue waiting for a tech person.

In the mean time, box restarted, hit iO button again repeated the SAME things as above while on hold.

Don't really have the time to deal with this tonight. Just want to eat dinner, relax and watch the Yankees....

The Rickster

:::sigh:::

Why can't the people on the phone ever believe those of us who have said we've tried things like rebooting the box, etc? After about 10 minutes on hold, got a nice guy on the phone. Explained what's been happening with my iO box. I explained I'd rebooted the box SEVERAL times and it didn't fix anything and, sometimes, made things worse. So what does he have me do? You guessed it, reboot...AGAIN!

This time it made things MUCH worse. Eventually left me with audio but no picture and I couldn't change the channels. Luckily I was able to muck around while I was on the phone and got the pic back and was able to change channels but there's definately something seriously wrong here. I would have been VERY pissed had it screwed it up for good.

Anyway, they're sending someone out but they can't get here until Tuesday. Well, they could come Friday but I can't be here. So I've got to live with it until then. I guess I won't try to use the guide!!!

I also explained the strangeness which has been happening with the dvr. Hopefully, they'll take a look at that as well. I asked but I know how they are. I remember asking them to install the dvr initially and they, "forgot," about that and I wound up having to drive and get one myself. I have a funny feeling they'll screw this up as well.

Hope they get it working....

The Rickster

Well, tech just came. She said it's a known problem and there's nothing she can do about it. She explained it's a (can you believe it?) software problem they need to fix.

Other than the HORRIBLE software I'm quite happy with CV...

The Rickster

If it's a software problem specifically in a certain area a lot of people would/could have the same problem. Apparently, a lot of people in this area are having this problem.

The Rickster

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)