Lots of Q's from a potential cable convert

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mipo777

Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
So I've always kicked around the idea of ditching cable from DTV. I've got a bunch of questions if you would be so kind to answer. I've done some thread trolling but haven't totally satisfied my questions.

1. Looking at getting the Sunday Ticket offer they have right now where I get a free HD DVR. Once my 4 months free programing, can I switch down from Premier to one of the other packages?
2. I currently don't have local HD channels available (coming in Nov) but do have an OTA antenna. What HD DVR do I need (20 or 21) to make use of this? 3. Is that the one included in the free HD DVR offer?
4. I'm assuming yes but do I need to sign up for AAA to get the discount?
5. Can I sign up & immediately refer a friend 1 day later to get free $50?
6. I will only have 1 other TV besides my HD Tv hooked up. If I get a DVR on this will I be charged 2 DVR fees monthly?
7. What are the benefits/ disadvantages of calling a local DTV seller vesus one of the national guys on here offering extra discounts if you call them?

Thanks so much for anyone taking the time to answer these questions. I'm looking forward to making the switch, but I want to be armed w/ info before I call.

(1) Yes.
(2) HR20 if you can get one for built in off the air hookup.
(3) Confirm with installer co. about the unit they will be sending out.
(4) not sure about AAA you speak of, just take the NFL Sunday ticket offer.
(5) Wait two days.
(6) One DVR fee covers all.
(7) A local retailer can offer more personal service and in most cases next day install.

Your welcome.

I called Direct 5 days ago for the HR-21 (has the video recorder) with a AM-21 (external off-air hd tuner to record onto the video recorder). The csr said get the HR-23 with the tuner built in. Needless to say after signing the paper work, a bad lnb and a bad second HD receiver, I discovered they had installed a HR-21. It cost me $100 for them to take the HR-21 back and I have to wait until the HR-23's are available locally. So know that what they say and do can be different! Hope this comment isn't too far off thread.

Good luck!
Jeff

I hadn't heard oof the 23. Is that a new reciever coming out soon?

If and When the HR23 comes out it will more than likely be like its not recording counterpart, the H23 which simply has certain converters that were external, now internal. D* Had the AM21 Designed to be able to remove the internal OTA tuner. I would doubt they would revert back to an internal OTA Tuner at this point. No one except the installer coming out and on that day can say with any certainty what Receiver he will have on him be-it a HR20, HR21, new or refurbished.

If you definitely want the H20 with built in OTA Tuner you would have to acquire it on your own, which would negate any special offers for it. The AM21 is generally free, but D* will ship it to you after your account is activated. Make sure you get it noted BEFORE your order is finalized else it could cost $40-$50.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts