'Love Monkey' Tonight at 10pm ET on CBS HD

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Entire Article

what the title really means, but one thing about "Love Monkey" is crystal clear: This new CBS comedy-drama, which premieres Tuesday, Jan. 17, is a blast of fresh air, particularly for anyone getting a little weary of the network's usual all-crime, all-the-time lineup.

Based on the best-selling book by Kyle Smith, this smart and funny character-driven series revolves around New York record executive Tom Farrell (Tom Cavanagh), who is having a very bad day when we first meet him. On the cusp of signing a bright young singer-songwriter (real-life musical phenom Teddy Geiger in a recurring role), Tom is fired from his job and dumped by his girlfriend on the very same day. Fortunately, Tom can rely on support from a tightly knit circle of friends: Mike Freed (Jason Priestley), who is married to Tom's pregnant sister, Karen; Shooter Cooper (Larenz Tate), a buddy with both street smarts and a fat bankroll; Jake Dunne (Christopher Wiehl), a handsome jock-turned-sportscaster; and Brandy Lowenstein (the incomparable Judy Greer), a wistful beauty whose friendly feelings for Tom just may be less platonic than either of them realizes.

I had a chance to watch the entire episode tonight. I do not know what to make of this show. The guy gets fired and dumped by his girlfriend. He is insecured and does not know whether to keep her or let her go. He decides to create his own music label and goes after one musician that he found at his old job but later let him go. All of this is happening around him and you just wonder what is the point of the show. It is not a comedy; is it a drama? what the hell is it? I guess I will have to watch next time to see what this is all about. Normally in the first episode of a new series you could tell what it is going to be about.

On the brink for
CBS's 'Love Monkey'

Meager premiere of 8.6 million total viewers

By Abigail Azote
Jan 25, 2006

In the weeks leading up to its premiere, CBS’s "Love Monkey" was the subject of much cooing. In a Media Life poll last week, media buyers said the show was the most promising of the midseason lot. It also got good reviews.

But one week after its premiere, "Monkey" looks to be on shaky ground, and it will get shakier still if it dipped further in its second outing last night.

Last week's premiere in the Tuesday at 10 p.m. timeslot averaged a 3.5 rating in adults 18-49 for a distant second behind NBC’s "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" and barely ahead of ABC’s low-rated "Boston Legal." Among total viewers the show averaged just 8.6 million, behind "Legal’s" 11.8 million and "SVU’s" 16.1 million.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)