Love my 811

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

tomwaters

Original poster
Dec 15, 2003
As someone who just dumped cable for dish...I just want to
share my experience....Dishnetwork is GREAT!

I'm now getting more HD channels and paying much less. The 811
with all it's bugs is still a great product...and eventually all the
problems will be addressed in future software updates.

I've read lots of msgs on this thread and understand all the hassles
to get installs and the various complaints about some of the features
not working, but keep this in mind. You get fantasic picture quality
from the 811, the stretch modes are working so no burn in, and
you get a HD tunner. For new customers...it's free and for current
customers you get it for a great price.

With that in mind, I think most of us are happy to be on DISH...
at least I am. Very happy indeed.

tom

I agree, mine has its problems and I can easily live with them for the time being IF they get fixed.

I love my 811 also. It actually looks really cool in the entertainment stand also!

Yes, it's buggy, but I got to watch CSI last night, on OTA station in HD, and the hockey games in HD rock.

If they get the bugs out, we could become best friends.

I was also happy right after getting mine even though the aspect modes were not working at all. I have also been a DISH customer for about 4 years and subscribe to the everything pack. I have been a big supporter of DISH.

BUT..... a week and a half after getting the 811 it all of a sudden would not power on. Tried hard resetting it and unplugging it. Nothing worked! Dish had to send a replacemnet. Just before receiving the replacement I just happened to try "jiggling" the power cord where it goes into the receiver. Guess what it worked. I still swaped out receivers when the replacemnet came. Now guess what the replacemnet today had the same problem after a few days. The same cure of the "jiggling" the power cord fixed it.

THERE are many problems with this receiver and DISH should never have released it knowing that it wasn't ready. One of the reasons I purchased it was for the 2 day guide. But it doesn't work! According to DISH that feature hasn't been implemented.

Well this long time subscriber has about had it!!!!!!! Given some time you will fell the same way. I promise you. Charlie just doesn't have a clue!

volfan615 said:
THERE are many problems with this receiver and DISH should never have released it knowing that it wasn't ready. One of the reasons I purchased it was for the 2 day guide. But it doesn't work! According to DISH that feature hasn't been implemented.

Well this long time subscriber has about had it!!!!!!! Given some time you will fell the same way. I promise you. Charlie just doesn't have a clue!

I totally agree. I switched from D* to E* in 5/01 but I've given up on Dish. I honestly don't understand why people are willing to put up with substandard products all the time. How many times are Dish said so and so would happen and it doesn't or takes forever to be implemented, if at all? Remember the 6000 was to have the OpenTV interface, oh we can't do that, not enough memory so ignore the OpenTV symbol on the back. How many 721 features were prople told would be coming and still not there. The 811 is a inexpensive HDTV receiver but just because it's inexpensive should Dish release it with advertised features missing and code with a bunch of problems. Even Scott's down on the 921 in it's current state. Will they get these issues resolved, maybe, but when? Are folks willing to wait maybe months to get advertised features implemented?

Remember "Dish will be the HD leader"? Remember "Superdish will bring you 50 HD channels"? Now it's you don't need no stinking SuperDish for HD, why because Charlie says Dish has all the HD that's worth it now. Remember tons of new international channels on 121, what happened with that, looks like it's tons of new LIL's. Remember when Charlie Chats used to have good information in them, now we get to see Charlie playing poker. Sorry Charlie but you're hand went bust and you've lost a >$120/month subscriber. The only way Charlie's going to wake up is if you hit him in the pocket book and show him you're not going to put up with his garbage anymore.

Rant over! RAD

I don't really understand why you're satisfied with your 811's. The truth is that the 811, as it is now, is a total POS.

N

Nicu said:
I don't really understand why you're satisfied with your 811's. The truth is that the 811, as it is now, is a total POS.

N

My 811 is working as well/better than my 6000. In fact I cannot think of a way that the 6000 does better than my 811 at this time. It is quite possible that there are manufacturing problems with the 811 and some people are getting bad units. I watch everything now in 480p, and switch to 1080i for HD. This is something I could not do on the 6000.

Also $149 vs the 750+ I paid for the 6000+OTA makes the 811 a winner in my book.

mike123abc,

You say that you watch everything in 480p and switch to HD when needed. Do you go through the set-up screens to do this or are you switching between the component and composite outputs on the 811? I know that on my 811 the S-video is darker then the component video or the composite video I get from my 501 that goes into one of the other video inputs on my Sony so I can have PIP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts