Love my SkyAngel IPTV - Just Wish I Could Get Locals

rjc3895

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I live in a small town that is surrounded by hills. Due to a tight budget, I can't afford to pay the cable company almost $30.00 for 13 channels in order to get my locals, and I don't want to pay for other "cheaper" Dish and DTV packages that have junk I don't want (that's why I went with Sky Angel in the first place).

So I was excited to see that the NFL Network was going to air a Steelers pre-season game. I tuned in to watch only to discover that the game was blacked out in my market :mad:

So, in theory, it would be possible to broadcast local chanels via Sky Angel IPTV and control which markets can view the channels right?

I'm sure the logistics of making this a reality is not financially feasible. My guess is that Sky Angel would have to contract with each station and set up a site within each market to capture and rebroadcast the signal.

Perhaps Sky Angel could partner with Dish Network to provide local televsion service. Um . . . then again . . . maybe not ;)

If all you want is locals Dish has 2 inexpensive packages

-5.99 for locals + 6.00 bs fee (for no package).....you do have to own the equipment
-welcome pack for 9.99 and add locals for 5.00 = 14.99

channels in welcome pack
WELCOME PACK ($9.99):

84 HSN
85 SRN
86 Jewelry Television
107 Comedy Central
110 Food Network
111 DIY
112 HGTV
120 History
127 Oxygen
128 WE Tv
130 AMC
137 QVC
139 TBS
161 MTV 2
166 CMT
175 Boomerang
179 Discovery Kids
183 TLC
185 Hallmark
203 Bloomberg
209 Msnbc
214 The Weather Channel
222 Home Shopping Network
228 Shop NBC

throw in the free PI pack and ya got a heckuva deal

Public Interest Channels at 110°
Channel Channel Name
264 KTV (Daytime) & Spirit TV (Evening and overnight)
(Mirrored on channel 9394)
265 China Central TV 9
267 Christian Television Network
9400 The Research Channel
9401 HITN (Hispanic Information and Telecommunications Network)
9403 BYU TV (Brigham Young University)
9404 University of Washington TV (UWTV)
9407 Colours TV
9410 WorldLink TV
9415 Free Speech Television

Public Interest Channels at 119°
Channel Channel Name
210 Cable Satellite Public Affairs Network (C-SPAN)
213 NASA TV
260 Trinity Broadcast Network (TBN)
261 Eternal Word TV Network (EWTN)
9411 Northern Arizona University House
9412 University of California TV (UCTV)
9414 V-Me

I dont see SA adding locals because which locals would the add? From which area?

Thanks Iceberg. I did not know about the local pack deal. I'd be willing to pay that. I still have my old receiver and dish from my old Sky Angel Days. Would that work? I would most likely need a new Nag 3 card. My last card I received was the Nag 2 Yellow card.

Thanks Iceberg. I did not know about the local pack deal. I'd be willing to pay that. I still have my old receiver and dish from my old Sky Angel Days. Would that work? I would most likely need a new Nag 3 card. My last card I received was the Nag 2 Yellow card.

yes you would need the new purple card. Dish should provide it free (nag them if they try to charge you)

What area ya located (just general area)? The dish you have should be able to be moved to just one satellite if all you do is the locals package (you can still add the free PI package to it).

Northwest PA about 90 miles north of Pittsburgh.
Although Erie is a little bit closer, Dish Network considers this area to be in the Pittsburgh market which is fine by me. I think if my location was a little further north, I would get the Erie stations and be forced to watch Cleveland or Buffalo on Sundays, and who would want that :D

My motor died on my little KU band FTA dish, but I've been using my BUD for the KU stuff. I had a circular lnb attached to it, so I could probably re-mount the dish as a stationary dish, attach the other circular lnb from my pizza dish, and then connect the dish to my old Echostar receiver to get the public interest channels. I don't have an HD TV (yet) so for now, the old receiver would work because I would not need HD channels.

I suppose another option would be to try and attached the circular lnb to my BUD, and simply move the BUD over to the locals satellite when I want to watch my locals, but since this is the Sky Angel IPTV forum, I will save that converstion for the FTA and C-Band forums.

Last edited:
The Welcome Pack is a great deal for SkyAngel users. When I signed up in late June they threw in free locals for the first year and 1 cent Cinemax for the first year. So I am paying 9.99/month and getting locals plus other channels like HGTV and History that I wanted but SA did not carry.

Northwest PA about 90 miles north of Pittsburgh.
Although Erie is a little bit closer, Dish Network considers this area to be in the Pittsburgh market which is fine by me. I think if my location was a little further north, I would get the Erie stations and be forced to watch Cleveland or Buffalo on Sundays, and who would want that :D

Here is the map of PA and which locals are in which county. Pittsburgh is on 110 (the SD locals)

pennsylvania.gif

I live near the point where Crawford, Mercer,and Venango Counties meet. It's an NFL programming nightmare for residents who live right on the county borders. Most people who live in that area are Steelers fans but due to their address, they either get Youngstown or Erie locals which means Sunday football is either Cleveland or Buffalo. One resident will get Youngstown locals, but residents less than a 1/2 mile down the road get Pittsburgh locals.

I'm so jealous that you all can get Sky Angel. I did contact them and they said Unfortunately, satellite Internet providers do not provide the sufficient bandwidth needed in order to access Sky Angel IPTV. This is due to their Fair Access Policy.
DSL is not available where we live, one of the downfalls of rural living.

:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)