SkyAngel Now In The Roku Channel Store

joeroscoe1957

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 24, 2004
I don't think it will offer Fave . I added it to my Roku , tells me to go to thier web site and purchase the "Roku Package " for SkyAngel , then link my Roku . (just like most purchase channels). Been 3 days and they still don't offer a Roku option , only PC , I Pad or their own IPTV box . Can't get much info on it , because they won't answer my online questions . Sure would like to try it . Guess they'll put the buy Roku option out some day .

Honestly Sky Angel might shoot themsleves in the foot by doing this........a fair amount of the channels are already on Roku and free.

I'm not sure why SA* is so hesitant (seemingly?) to out their full packages on Roku. I understand that Roku can easily geoblock, so there should be no issue with territories. I can't believe there are security issues, because if that was the case, E* and TWC would not use it. I think more so than the Faith packages, FAVE TV could be a huge hit on roku.
Maybe SA* licensing agreements only cover the SA* / NeuLion box? And not Roku? But that doesn't seem right either.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I'm not sure why SA* is so hesitant (seemingly?) to out their full packages on Roku. I understand that Roku can easily geoblock, so there should be no issue with territories. I can't believe there are security issues, because if that was the case, E* and TWC would not use it. I think more so than the Faith packages, FAVE TV could be a huge hit on roku.
Maybe SA* licensing agreements only cover the SA* / NeuLion box? And not Roku? But that doesn't seem right either.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Probably because they couldn't charge you a stb fee like they can with their NeuLion boxes. FAVE TV would be a great alternative if you were able to dvr programs easily. Those Volcano boxes aren't the best.

They finally got the Roku option available a few days ago . I tried the free 48 hour trial . I like the way they have it set up , with program line up guide for each channel . The channels offered (with out fave ) have better program line up than I thought . $14.99 a month still might be more than I'm willing to pay . If they offer fave on Roku. , I'd surely give it serious consideration .

Admittedly, SA* actually set a standard with their app design and integrated program guide. It'd be nice if other live tv providers did something similar. But I also agree it seems odd that several of their channels already have free Roku apps. (Note: I don't mind the fact SA* offers those channels as well, but it seems to reduce the overall package value in this situation.)
Also, I haven't signed up for a trial or a paid package, but I don't see the radio channels anywhere. Surely most of the radio feeds could be offered on Roku.

I am guessing that many of the radio feeds offered in AAC+ Audio. Only the new Roku 3 supports AAC+ audio. That could be why they are missing from the Roku Sky Angel offerings.

This summer I subscribed to Sky Angel on Roku. It was good service with less buffering than I had with old silver NeuLion set top box. Lasted about three months then Sky Angel announced it was terminating Roku service effective November 1, 2013. Many people are disappointed and curious why the service was stopped via Roku. Maybe contract conflict with NeuLion? Or did a competitor pay Sky Angel to get off Roku because they were losing customers? Only speculation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)