Loving the new TiVo update

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
The latest TiVo update with Amazon streaming and VUDU streaming is great! I had a bunch of Ultraviolet movies via free Blu-Ray Digital copy and other offers. I used a roku to access before, but I find the TiVo much better and more convenient. The same with Amazon prime.

Not to mention the new ability to set season passes 6 months in advance. I see an ad for a show that might be interesting, and can just set a season pass for it months in advance.

Reactions: Mr Tony
Its nice. I recently started using mu Roamio basic (upgraded to 2TB internal) more again. My OTA locals just obviously look better than Directv, but I have had no luck using the AM21 reliably. So I record some stuff on the HR44, but a lot gets recorded on the Roamio.

I really have to think hard about whether I keep pay tv going forward...

I now have 3 Roamio base models. One with 2TB, one with 3TB, and one with 4TB. Now I see Weaknees has a 6TB option...

I use the 3/4 ones for all my recording now, archive some to the 2 TB and use it for the minis. (I have 2 residences, one has the 3TB one and the other has the 2/4 ones).

Yeah, have to have a newer box to support the downloads. Romeos and late model Premiers still support them.
Here is a portion of an email I got 3 days ago from Amazon:
"As a TiVo Series 3 customer, you're eligible for $100 off a TiVo Roamio sold by Amazon.com so you can stream Amazon Instant Video. "

I would do it, but I can't transfer my product lifetime service and don't plan on giving them another $499 for 'lifetime'.

Here is a portion of an email I got 3 days ago from Amazon:
"As a TiVo Series 3 customer, you're eligible for $100 off a TiVo Roamio sold by Amazon.com so you can stream Amazon Instant Video. "

I would do it, but I can't transfer my product lifetime service and don't plan on giving them another $499 for 'lifetime'.

Yeah, getting an Apple TV, Roku or FireTV would probably be a lot less expensive. But, the Romeo is a big step up from a Series 3...

Yeah, getting an Apple TV, Roku or FireTV would probably be a lot less expensive. But, the Romeo is a big step up from a Series 3...

I agree but skip the Apple TV if you are doing this for Amazon Instant. I used my 3rd Gen Apple TV for years before I shifted most of my streaming to the Roamio. Unfortunately Amazon Instant isn't supported unless you are willing to use Airplay from an iPhone or iPad though.

It works great for things like Netflix, Hulu Plus, MLB.tv and pretty much all the other major streaming services. If you need Amazon or Vudu support it's not the right choice though.

You're probably better off getting something like the Roku 2 for $65. That will give you all the major streaming services and a ton of niche ones no one has heard of. Fire TV is another option that supports both Netflix and Amazon as well as some other stuff.

Well, I have Rokus and Panasonic BluRay players that can Amazon stream. But frankly, I haven't done much streaming from either since TIVO added Amazon streaming to the Premiere and Roamio. It is just more convenient to have everything on one device and not deal with switching.

The latest update is even better because it allows you to find related content on the streaming services. Say you just recorded "Charro unchained" online. You can select view more episodes, and see everything upcoming on broadcast/cable, but also on Netflix, Amazon or whatever streaming services you subscribe to.

Well, I have Rokus and Panasonic BluRay players that can Amazon stream. But frankly, I haven't done much streaming from either since TIVO added Amazon streaming to the Premiere and Roamio. It is just more convenient to have everything on one device and not deal with switching.

The latest update is even better because it allows you to find related content on the streaming services. Say you just recorded "Charro unchained" online. You can select view more episodes, and see everything upcoming on broadcast/cable, but also on Netflix, Amazon or whatever streaming services you subscribe to.

I'm totally with you. I was using a mix of Apple TV, Xbox One, and Roku 2XD depending on which service I wanted and which TV I was using. Now one room does all its streaming from a Roamio basic and the other room does all its streaming from a Tivo Mini.

Only reason we were suggesting buying a Roku or other streaming device is because someone was saying they didn't want to upgrade from a Series 3 to a Roamio and buy a new lifetime subscription for Amazon Instant streaming. In that case a Roku would get the job done for a lot less money. Of course, upgrading to a Roamio would provide other benefits over a series 3 as well.

I wonder if we are talking two different things. First, the link above does not work.

I suspect this is download video and store on the TIVO vs stream to the TIVO. If downloading is stopped, then even if you purchase the program, you will be dependent on Amazon continuing to offer the stream. If they put it on hiatus, you wouldn't be able to view.
Here is a good link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201480650&tag=satell01-20

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts