Low quality and the Earths tilt

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Gary Z

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 27, 2005
Seguin, Texas
I noticed there have been some threads about lower signal quality lately.
I'm wondering if in the process of the Earth tilt in the transition from Summer to winter effects the Satellite positions? I know the satellites stay in geo-stationary orbit, but what happens when the earth tilts northward? Do they move along with it?

I also remember back in the 80's when I had my 12' Paraclipse dish, that twice a year the solar outages woud hit.... does that also effect Ku-Band?

Solar outages do, but I have NEVER noticed anything with the tilt of the earth. Since the low signals have been on specific transponders I think the problem is with the satellite or interference from adjacent satellites using the same or a similar transponder!

Solar equinox outages do effect Ku.

The Earth's precession does not effect the relative position of geostationary satellites - they move right along with the planet.

Edit - After thinking about it, I should point out - precession is a s-l-o-w process. One cycle takes something on the order of 25,000 years.

The annual change of the seasons is not caused by an actual change in the Earth's tilt on its axis, but rather by the Earth's position in its orbit around the Sun. When it's summer in the northern hemisphere the northern end of the axis it tilted toward the Sun. Six months later the Earth has completed half an orbit, it is winter in the north, and the north end of the axis is tilted away from the Sun.

humm ... now you have raised my curiosity about Earth tides - the effect, if any, must be minuscule.

Last edited:
Not sure about the tides... temperature on the lnb does have some affect, according to some posts I've read around in here. I guess cool nights as oppossed to hot days makes things better for the lnb to get a slightly better signal. Also helps if to have a cool night for you if you've gotta go up on the roof...

GrumpyGuy said:
The annual change of the seasons is not caused by an actual change in the Earth's tilt on its axis, but rather by the Earth's position in its orbit around the Sun. When it's summer in the northern hemisphere the northern end of the axis it tilted toward the Sun. Six months later the Earth has completed half an orbit, it is winter in the north, and the north end of the axis is tilted away from the Sun.
I have had to explain this to numerous people lately when I talk about my satellite setup. I am not making fun of the OP or anything as I can honestly see the reason people think it, but are the schools just not getting this informatoin across anymore?

Lately around me there has been what seems to be much more haze than normal and I have notice signal level drop, but it clears up later in the day, so around me I attribute it to more moisture condensing in the air near the ground. Possibly even some condensting on my FTA dish itself. The levels don't drop enough for me not to get picture, but I have noticed it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)