Low signal after HD install

dmize

Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
michgan
I have had dish for 15 yrs and installed all of them. Last fall i had dish HD installed. The tech removed the Dish 500 and installed a 1000.2 My signals for 119 and 110 use to be in the 70s. After the install the tech informed me that a tree was in the way of 129 and i needed to remove it. Spring is here and i removed it and 110,119 signals are in the 50s and 129 is 15/20. I checked the elevation and the skew, and both are off and the mount is level. the elevation is off 10 and the skew off 6. I do have a signal meter. Should i set the skew to the proper setting and realign to 119 and see if the other 2 get better?

Foil over the outer LNBs and peak on 119. Sometimes the stampings for elevation and the others are a bit off but I'd start with the proper skew setting. You shouldn't have to move elevation or azimuth very much since you're already receiving all three.

This is the first one i have done with 3 sat. so didn't know if it could be off that far and still receive good signals. cutting down the tree gained me about 5 points on 129 but still will not lock in good

It has to be pretty close since you're getting all 3 satellites. If the skew is off a bit, it could affect signal strength. You just need to try a bit of tweaking. It could also be that you're still blocked a bit by trees if other trees are close bye. Have you checked dishpointer.com for your address. It sometimes gives more precise settings. Be sure to click the Multi-LNB Setup and then select Dish 1000.2 from the menu.

I will try your advice and see if i can tweek it a little. I cut down all the trees in the way so that won't be a problem. Thanks for the advice Much appreciated

Skew

Not sure if you checked the site, but the skew for a 1000.2 and 500 are different. My skew for 500 is around 82. For 1000.2 is 90.

I have a dish 1000+ 4 sats. These 3 and 4 sat dishes must be installed and tuned in to get good signal on all the sats. I aligned my dish originally without a meter. I set the skew exactly what they recommend and the elevation and moved it side to side to get the alignment. I had problems ever since with low readings. A friend of mine who use to install had 2 dual meters and he came over and we readjusted the dish using the meters and my signals are back to normal. 80+ on 110, 75+ on 119, 66+ on 129 and 65+ on 118.7. this is why you can not install these dishes without a dual meter. He had realligned over a hundred of the 3 and 4 sat dishes for people that techs did not do right. Not all installers have dual meters so they rely on single meters and this is very hard to do. I bought 2 cheap single meters and can line them up ok but next time I am getting the dual meters. they are just too expensive now

I just use my computer with Sony Location Free running so I can see the 6-1-1 screen to adjust. Works just fine for me. Wind knocks my dish off every once in a while so I got good at it.

if the tree was there when the dish was installed, the installer probably had a difficult time aiming the dish properly, and now that the tree is gone, it should be much easier. if you are going to tweak it, make sure you note the current skew and elevation, and mark the azimuth on the dish with a black marker or something so you can at least set it back if you are unable to tweak it better.

Thank for all of the info I am going to try and tweek it this weekend. I would just like to see 129 lock in and stay there. The installer didn't spend much time adjusting it he just set it once and installed the receiver and left. Thats the kind of tech's that have showed up here. Which is why i learned to do it myself,even with my 10'er But this is a little different with 3 birds. Again Thanks

Thank for all of the info I am going to try and tweek it this weekend. I would just like to see 129 lock in and stay there. The installer didn't spend much time adjusting it he just set it once and installed the receiver and left. Thats the kind of tech's that have showed up here. Which is why i learned to do it myself,even with my 10'er But this is a little different with 3 birds. Again Thanks

Let us know how it turns out.

I have a dish 1000+ 4 sats. These 3 and 4 sat dishes must be installed and tuned in to get good signal on all the sats. I aligned my dish originally without a meter. I set the skew exactly what they recommend and the elevation and moved it side to side to get the alignment. I had problems ever since with low readings. A friend of mine who use to install had 2 dual meters and he came over and we readjusted the dish using the meters and my signals are back to normal. 80+ on 110, 75+ on 119, 66+ on 129 and 65+ on 118.7. this is why you can not install these dishes without a dual meter. He had realligned over a hundred of the 3 and 4 sat dishes for people that techs did not do right. Not all installers have dual meters so they rely on single meters and this is very hard to do. I bought 2 cheap single meters and can line them up ok but next time I am getting the dual meters. they are just too expensive now

I have said this for years, now and you are correct, Willie! I pray that they listen!

Signal Meters - Analog vs. Digital

Ok I peaked the dish and got 70s on 110 and 119 but only 15/20 on 129 guess thats the best its going to get for now. I will buy another meter and see what happens.
Thanks for all the info

You might nudge the skew just a bit and see if that helps. It may also be the case that your reflector is slightly out of shape. It doesn't take a lot. Can you sign up for DHHP and get a $29 service call to get a tech to tweak it for you. You can drop DHPP afterwards. The signal strength needs to be higher than what you have.

Ok I peaked the dish and got 70s on 110 and 119 but only 15/20 on 129 guess thats the best its going to get for now. I will buy another meter and see what happens.
Thanks for all the info

Put a meter on 110 and 129 and try adjusting the skew just a little by twisting the dish. this will tell you if the skew is off. If it is you can adjust it without affecting the 119 signal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)