Low VHF Antenna Recommendation

DelawareOTA

Original poster
Sep 15, 2015
Wilmington, DE
Trying to get off directv and onto the OTA bandwagon but keep hitting a wall. I'm only interested in the major networks, ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox. I can pick three of the four up with any indoor antenna, but can't get any reception for ABC. I know I need a low VHF and would prefer not to have to install a 35lb monster on my roof. Do I have any small options? Or do I need to go big because of the approx 85mhz frequency. Any suggestions would be welcome.

TVFool: bit.ly/1Ko0uba

Have you tried a simple pair of rabbit ears?

it sounds goofy but folks in Philly have found that simple rabbit ears will help bring in ABC

Few 'small' options as VHF low freqs wavelength determines the width of the antenna elements. The for and aft length is determined by how much gain is required.
Being they are in the 50's dbm range I might try a simple dipole made of twinlead.
That's about the smallest option. Arrange the horizontal 'legs' 90° to the direction of the stations transmitters (40° : I.E> 130° to 50°) Keep it clear of any metal (Metal siding, metal window screens, etc) Attach to PVC pipe for roof mounting??
Attach your transformer at the center, not using the twinlead 'downlead'.
Let us know 'how it goes'. As You may end up needing a larger directional antenna mounted outside.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I thought of the rabbit ears and tried the Terk indoor antenna with the dipoles fully extended, making a pseudo T out of the antenna. No success, amplified or not. The Winegard GS2200 and MS are both rated in the right frequency range, but I'm suspect that they will work for me.

I thought of the rabbit ears and tried the Terk indoor antenna with the dipoles fully extended, making a pseudo T out of the antenna.
shoot.

I honeslty dont know what else to use. What is crazy is its your strongest station.
I wonder if a amplified FM antenna would work?

Channel Master still offers small and medium all band combos with the CM3016 and CM 3018.

You could also look for an AntennaCraft C290 or C490 at Radio Shack if you have any nearby.

Might be less about the antenna type and more about the placement. Try moving the antennas away from the current position. Raise, lower, left, right. There might be too many signal reflections to get good enough signal quality or even interference from near-by electronics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts