Lowest cost plan that includes HD

kwindrem

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 5, 2006
I'm helping out a friend reduce their programming costs. For some reason, Dish has hidden HD costs on the programming page.

I did a chat with a Dish agent (yes I know, big mistake). I asked about the availability of HD with the Welcome Pack and Smart Pack and she indicated the lowest cost plan that included HD versions of the channels was Dish America.

So I have three questions:

1) Is HD now included in all Dish programming plans?

2) What is the lowest cost plan that offers HD channels?

3) How hard is it to get the Dish Movie Pack for 1/2 off? I've had that offer for at least 2 years by attempting to remove it from my account, then getting the offer automatically. I do this every year. Same for the other premium packages.

As an aside, my friend's bill summary shows $8/mo for the protection plan yet when I go to the Ala Carte page, it is not checked, so I can't eliminate it from her account. Does this seem normal? Do you need to contact Dish to get it removed?

I'm helping out a friend reduce their programming costs. For some reason, Dish has hidden HD costs on the programming page.

I did a chat with a Dish agent (yes I know, big mistake). I asked about the availability of HD with the Welcome Pack and Smart Pack and she indicated the lowest cost plan that included HD versions of the channels was Dish America.

So I have three questions:

1) Is HD now included in all Dish programming plans?

2) What is the lowest cost plan that offers HD channels?

3) How hard is it to get the Dish Movie Pack for 1/2 off? I've had that offer for at least 2 years by attempting to remove it from my account, then getting the offer automatically. I do this every year. Same for the other premium packages.

As an aside, my friend's bill summary shows $8/mo for the protection plan yet when I go to the Ala Carte page, it is not checked, so I can't eliminate it from her account. Does this seem normal? Do you need to contact Dish to get it removed?

Hidden? There is no HD fee for new customers unless they decline the ebill and autopay. I see it talked about in the offers for new subscribers on the main page. If declined it will be apparent you are paying $10 more. If you are signed into her account it's right there in his programming costs, either it shows as a $10 charge or it shows as free. It is free if using autopay and ebill, or if a one time fee was paid years ago. (That option no longer available)

2. What you were told, the Dish America. A more detailed answer is all packages include the locals in HD no matter if you have HD free or not. For packages less than the DISH America/Top120 you may get one or two channels in HD from time to time when they are free to everyone but generally most will be in SD.

3 Very easy for quite sometime to get it for 1/2 off. Just calling to ask should do it.

You may need to get the protection plan removed manually if it isn't checked off in her programming online.

Also note, it appears as Iceberg reports that in the last few days DISH is adding some channels in HD to the Welcome pack and Smart pack. You may not need free HD for those either, but because this is so new that isn't clear.

Reactions: ChadT41
Hidden? There is no HD fee for new customers unless they decline the ebill and autopay. I see it talked about in the offers for new subscribers on the main page. If declined it will be apparent you are paying $10 more. If you are signed into her account it's right there in his programming costs, either it shows as a $10 charge or it shows as free. It is free if using autopay and ebill, or if a one time fee was paid years ago. (That option no longer available)

2. What you were told, the Dish America. A more detailed answer is all packages include the locals in HD no matter if you have HD free or not. For packages less than the DISH America/Top120 you may get one or two channels in HD from time to time when they are free to everyone but generally most will be in SD.

3 Very easy for quite sometime to get it for 1/2 off. Just calling to ask should do it.

You may need to get the protection plan removed manually if it isn't checked off in her programming online.

Also note, it appears as Iceberg reports that in the last few days DISH is adding some channels in HD to the Welcome pack and Smart pack. You may not need free HD for those either, but because this is so new that isn't clear.
Why do you have to be a good poster and clarify your point before I can argue you Tampa... Darn you for doing it right..

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts