Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
Now that I am finally at my new location and still considering FTA for my PBS, I see that I have an easier shot at the 87 degree location vs. the 125 slot. I have read that PBS on 125 can be a bit difficult due to adjacent DBS signals, is that true? I also know that LPB occasionally goes "off schedule" to carry local high school sports, is that the only deviation from the posted schedules for WLPB? What else should I consider in deciding which satellite to aim towards?

I personally have much more trouble with 125. Occasionally have trouble with 87 but no doubt I would aim there if I was using a stationary dish. Just my opinion. :)

For me those on 125 are stronger. Wider selection, more channels, also.
AFAIK, yes, that's the only deviation from the sched*. But I could be wrong, I don't watch much on that one, usually 125.
*Seems to me, sometime in the past, a few times they didn't 'flop the switch' at the conclusion of the sporting event so regular programming wasn't on right away. Seem to think, one time, it was a few days before said switch was reset. Corrections welcomee.
With a 1 meter dish all should be well on 125. (I'm using an 84e)
"What else should I consider in deciding which satellite to aim towards?"
Try one and also try the other. Decision will be based on what works best for you

The pbs mux on 125W has both an east and west hd feed so if you miss this old house at 12:30 you can catch it at 3:30.

The 125W feed it better IMO, I watch it the most. On 87W they will switch it over to sports sometimes like FaT said. Lots more to choose from on 125 also. If you have a decent Dish 125 is what I would go for. I have never had a problem getting it because of any adjacent DBS.
However if you have a line of sight issue go with 87W, of course, but I would try to find a spot to set a dish to get 125W.

125w hands down... more channels, up 24/7. Weekdays my little guy watched PBS Kids... quality programming for children so for me it was
well worth the cost, time and headaches!

I definitely vote for 125W. Not just the HD East and West feeds, but Create and World, OETA and its Kids and OKLA channels, and Montana PBS are all up there. Much better selection of programming, and better picture quality, to boot. And the feeds don't go away to run sports. :)

- Trip

I use 125 W for PBS. I receive on 90 cm GeosatPro dish, Geosatpro dual Ku LNBF, with AzBox Premium Plus & AzBox Mini-ME. I have very reliable reception on 12180 V 30000.

I'd say 125 W is the better one, more selections and it doesn't get blanked out. I do have trouble with 125 W sometimes, but that's because my Ku dish is only 30'' [76 cm].

I sounds as if 125 is the way to go. I am still going to research getting my local channel 13 by one edge reception over this tall metal building and row of pine trees. It would be more budget friendly and have local content. It is good to know I have the FTA alternative.

I watch PBS KU 125 on a 4' offset dish and use a Openbox X5 receiver you need h264 mpeg4 receiver as they went to that to save transponder costs. I LOVE PBS FEEDS !

I watch PBS KU 125 on a 4' offset dish and use a Openbox X5 receiver you need h264 mpeg4 receiver as they went to that to save transponder costs. I LOVE PBS FEEDS !
Wildbill I have an Openbox X5 also, and sat 125 is hard to get here in the north of Mexico, only 4 HD channels with 76 cms antenna, those channels PBS Ku 125 are in the 8PSK format, please confirm if a special 8PSK module must be inserted in the receiver or it is built in.
Thanks !

Wildbill I have an Openbox X5 also, and sat 125 is hard to get here in the north of Mexico, only 4 HD channels with 76 cms antenna, those channels PBS Ku 125 are in the 8PSK format, please confirm if a special 8PSK module must be inserted in the receiver or it is built in.
Thanks !
Your only requirement is a bigger dish. The X5 is 8psk/mpeg4 already 'in there'. With the switch to S2, my 30 inch wasn't 'cutting it' anymore. So an 83e is fixed on it now. No problems.

As a lark I just setup a temp fixed 33" at 125W with the PLL LNB. Unbelieveable how some of the weaker TPs lock in without a problem. The HD quality is fantastic.

Note that PBS is looking to eliminate many of its satellite feeds on AMC-21 with the scheduled rollout of "Interconnection v6" in the fall of 2016 (the same time that current long-term contract for use of AMC-21 ends). This would be the sixth generation of the system used to deliver PBS programming to stations. The technology is now available, and costs are coming down far enough, to where programming can be delivered to stations through the internet rather than through satellite. There have already been "proof of concept" tests of the new system last year with more planned for this summer, possibly leading up to a "beta" system in 2015. There are presentations from previous PBS Techcons out there if you Google. Much of the "buzz" at this year's Techcon (which was held a couple of weeks ago before the NAB conference) focused on how the internet is rapidly maturing as a programming delivery method.

I like LPB because the 2nd channel had "Peep and the Big Wide World" on Saturdays
Yeah its a kids show...but its funny :)

Note that PBS is looking to eliminate many of its satellite feeds on AMC-21 with the scheduled rollout of "Interconnection v6" in the fall of 2016 (the same time that current long-term contract for use of AMC-21 ends).

Gee, I may have to reconsider mounting a second dish for 125W. (Starting to get tree interference on the motorized one.)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fta dish

Special thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts