LPTV Broadcaster Looking for Satellite Options

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Okcpicker

Original poster
Jan 18, 2014
Central Oklahoma
Very new to satellite technology and terminology, so please excuse the newbie nature of this post.

We are a low power television station owned and programmed by a Native American tribe in Western Oklahoma.
Our broadcast signal only gets out about 40 miles, so most of our tribal service area is not covered.

Streaming would solve everything but in western Oklahoma, few tribal members have access to broadband. So, satellite distribution of our educational programming looks attractive. Due to re-packing of UHF frequencies by the FCC next year, our LPTV station will most likely lose our frequency. LPTV, even for minority frequency holders will not be protected under this new FCC plan. We will probably be told to shut down our x-mitter in 18 months.

So,,,, can anyone here steer me in the right direction in getting information on satellite channel leasing? It is entirely possible for us to be able to help tribal members obtain small dishes if sat distribution becomes feasible for us. What is the most cost effective way to go? (We broadcast in high def but will go with standard def for a sat opportunity) Any info would be greatly appreciated.

All this sat terminology is a bit overwhelming but we are willing to learn.
ha ho! (Thanks in Cheyenne)
Mark

Maybe try these guys:

http://www.rrsat.com/

They have a few transponders on G19/Ku where access to a channel might be within a feasible budget. Since these "channels" are broadcast all over North America and beyond, maybe a more national approach would enhance funding and access for other Tribes as well. leasing a whole transponder could yield 10+ SD channels.

Another model to go by is APTN based in Winnipeg that I am quite familiar with. Check them out at:
http://aptn.ca/

Brian at Titanium Satellite might be able to give you some great pointers as well since he uses a stream on G19 satellite for GloryStar receiver updates.

Best of luck and hope to see your channels FTA soon! :)

-C.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Cham provided some good information. Might suggest that since you may not desire nationwide coverage, a less expensive satellite might be selected.

A single SD channel on a less popular satellite that is directly south of your location and very high in the sky would likely be less than $7k per month. I would suggest that you consider providing an HD signal using newer technology, as you are not trying to broadcast to customers with older legacy equipment. An HD broadcast using DVBS2 technology would require more bandwidth, but the cost probably would not exceed $9k.

Not sure what your budget is, but there is some great used uplink equipment out there that would easily support a single channel that could be updated to newer encoder technology at very low cost.

If purchased in bulk, each household could be provided with an HD receiver and dish for less than $100. You could have a few local installers trained to install and service these systems as contractors.

Give me a call if you would like to discuss the specifics. I am available to consult or work with you to develop and implement a distribution and transition plan.

Cham and Brian - Thanks so much for the quick response! Very valuable information. Brian, I will give you a call on Tuesday.
Input from others would be much appreciated as well.

Ha ho

Mark

Cham and Brian - Thanks so much for the quick response! Very valuable information. Brian, I will give you a call on Tuesday.
Input from others would be much appreciated as well.

Ha ho

Mark
WELCOME TO SATELLITEGUYS!!!!:welcome

IMHO, the buck stops with Brian regarding this very issue that you're looking to resolve. Others may chime in, but may not have as much access and know how to help you. He knows the ins/outs of satellite technology, hardware, software, etc etc.

Mark,

Is your target audience strictly tribal viewers, or are you hoping to catch a wider variety of viewers across the country?

If it's the former, then Brian is 100% correct. I would argue that you could try to set up something like what OETA does, where they just take the transport stream from KETA and plug it into the satellite uplink gear. I would also wonder if SES has any space on 125W, because that's the satellite OETA is on and if some of your potential viewers already have OETA via satellite, it would be no extra work to get your feed.

If the latter, I think an SD feed on 97W would get you the most viewers.

- Trip

125w would be a good spot for them, its easy to see here. Maybe they could get some help from OETA.
I would imagine most of the tribal members around the area get OETA OTA, but it would be an added benefit of being on 125w. Concho is only 35 or so miles from all the transmitters in NW OKC/Edmond. It's very flat out there and doesn't take much, especially when I see all the OKC stations coming in strong at my uncles home in NW Yukon, with the rickety old thing that is passing for whats left of antenna there.

So, is OETA providing a satellite feed for viewers? We talked to Dan Sheidel about getting on their dot 3 OTA channel but that is now being used by the Create channel. He didn't mention anything about sat distribution, although at that time, sat wasn't on our radar so to speak. We seek to only serve our tribal members in Western Oklahoma with language instruction, math for kids, cultural stuff, etc.. We have an offer from KSBI 52 to get on their dot 3 OTA channel but the cost is prohibitive. For the record, KSBI went to great lengths to make it happen for us. So.... sat uplink from Concho and downlike to approximately 2,500 home or less is what we are looking at.

We'll have to talk to OETA's chief engineer to find out how their sat configuration all works. In any event, it sounds like Brian will have the answers. Great input guys, I'm learning fast. Spent way too many years with a cam on my shoulder and not enough time in master control to understand satellites.
Mark
catv47 dot com
KC5SMH

Yes, revitalization of both written and spoken Cheyenne & Arapaho is one of our objectives. Hebrew was once almost extinct and was brought back by one guy (Eliazar Ben Yehuda) way before TV. We are starting to produce 30 sec language "spots" which you can check out here: catv47 (dot) com/learn-arapaho.html
Sorry if I'm not allowed to provide links.
Mark

Yes, revitalization of both written and spoken Cheyenne & Arapaho is one of our objectives. Hebrew was once almost extinct and was brought back by one guy (Eliazar Ben Yehuda) way before TV. We are starting to produce 30 sec language "spots" which you can check out here: catv47 (dot) com/learn-arapaho.html
Sorry if I'm not allowed to provide links.
Mark

The concept for your idea sounds a bit like some of the things I have seen in APTN (as mentioned above out of Winnipeg, Canada),

I have watched there some programming in tribal (or aboriginal languages as aptn calls them) for kids and adults also, with subtitles in english.

Below a link to aptn (aboriginal people´s television network) with their concept.

Headquartered in Winnipeg, Manitoba, APTN offers an unprecedented opportunity for Aboriginal producers, directors, actors, writers and media professionals to create innovative, reflective and relevant programming for Canadian viewers. 84% of APTN programming originates in Canada, with 56% of the programs broadcast in English, 16% in French and 28% in a variety of Aboriginal languages

http://aptn.ca/corporate/about.php

So, is OETA providing a satellite feed for viewers? We talked to Dan Sheidel about getting on their dot 3 OTA channel but that is now being used by the Create channel. He didn't mention anything about sat distribution, although at that time, sat wasn't on our radar so to speak.

OETA uses satellite (probably to distribute to translators, not viewers) and they started out just with the main OETA channel and OETA OKLA, but in the last few weeks just added their OETA CREATE and OETA KIDS channels to their satellite signal.

If they are willing, if there is bandwidth available in their satellite signal to allow it, and it's within your budget, I think it would be awesome if OETA could carry your service in their satellite signal and make it a xx.5 channel only over their Western Oklahoma translators and you can fill-in with backyard 3' dishes and DVB-S2 receivers for your target audience to get your channel who live outside of the reception range of those selected OETA translators.

OETA uses satellite (probably to distribute to translators, not viewers) and they started out just with the main OETA channel and OETA OKLA, but in the last few weeks just added their OETA CREATE and OETA KIDS channels to their satellite signal.

If they are willing, if there is bandwidth available in their satellite signal to allow it, and it's within your budget, I think it would be awesome if OETA could carry your service in their satellite signal and make it a xx.5 channel only over their Western Oklahoma translators and you can fill-in with backyard 3' dishes and DVB-S2 receivers for your target audience to get your channel who live outside of the reception range of those selected OETA translators.

That's exactly what they do, distribute via satellite to the other transmitters and translators around the State.
When OETA originally went digital they had all 4 channels, as the main channel only went HD from 6pm to midnight and they killed Create and Kids during those hours, then as more HD became available they went with just OETA/PBS and Okla on the OTA and Sat feeds and Create and Kids was only available to Cox subs in the Tulsa and OKC metro areas. With facility upgrades and the advances in technology they were just recently able to bring Create and Kids back to the OTA which includes the Sat feeds for distribution around the State.

What about hiring a good lawyer and trying to get a MDS freq and then build a microwave system to cover the entire land.

Or what about building a NLOS wireless system in 900Mhz (Or other range) and send out a multicast.

Is the transmitter on tribe land?

Wally, yes the x-mitter is on tribal land. Not sure what an MDS frequency is nor do I know what a NLOS system is. We should probably drag our freelance engineer in and run all these ideas by him.
I'm hearing a lot of different opinions about LPTV going away after the re-pack. In fact I just heard from a chief engineer here who says re-packing has been way overstated and it may not even happen here locally in this market for years to come.

OETA (Oklahoma Educational Television Authority) cannot lease any of it's sat bandwidth because they have none left.

Brian Gohl provided a volume of input to our situation and explained much about sat distribution I did not know. Will probably be going back to the satellite idea if we cannot piggyback off a local broadcaster here in the Oklahoma City market. Waiting to hear back from a tower owner who may have a frequency left for repeating to one area. If I were writing the checks here, I'd go with satellite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)