Main differences between HD Tivo and 921?

Patrick G.

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2003
Would someone be so kind as to sum up for me the main advantages/disadvantages of the 921 compared to the HD Tivo? Thanks! :)

Two differences that come to mind are:

1. The Tivo can record 2 over the air channels simultaneously. The 921 can only has one OTA tuner.

2. The 921 has a firewire connection that hopefully will be activated in the future. This will allow archiving to DVHS tape. The Tivo does not have firewire.

The 921's programming is channel/date/time based. If you want to record ER you have to tell it the date, the time and channel to record and it does it. But if NBC doesn't show ER on that date/time it will record what's there anyway.

With the DirecTivo unit it comes with the Tivo software which besides being able to record like the 921 it can use name based recording. Using ER as an example again, you just tell it that you want to record ER, if you want all ER's or only new ER's and it records them. So if NBC does a special two hour ER the Tivo software will pick up the chanage and automatically record it.

One thing that the DirecTivo box may also do is be able to record OTA HD channels by name also. I think that's what others have said but I haven't read through the complete instruction manual to verify.

E* has mentioned that they might add name based recording but based on E*'s past track record of keeping promises I'd have to say don't believe it until it actually is on the 921. (I'm not bashing E*, just stating a fact, where's OpenTV on the 6000, Internet access on the 721, etc.).

The 921 also has a RF remote control vs.IR on the Tivo. I also think the 921 does on screen caller ID, the Tivo doesn't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts