Major DVR 721 Trouble - Long HELP!!!!!

bimmerbenz said:
I'm no expert by any means but I think that you have to connect both outputs of the LNB to the switch.

Where would that line go to the switch? I did not hook up the Dish it was done by an installer. I get all my channels on my other boxes and the Dish has been installed for a year and 1/2 before all this trouble.

Legacy switches require 2 lines from the LNB to the switch(unless you are using an SW21, then 1 line from each LNB).

DP switches ONLY require 1 line from each LNB/Switch(DP LNBs are actually switches since the "stack" the frequencies.

larrystotler said:
DP switches ONLY require 1 line from each LNB/Switch(DP LNBs are actually switches since the "stack" the frequencies.
Larry, If I have a DP twin and go to a DP34 switch, do I need two cables from the twin to the switch so I can get both 110/119? So if I use a DP21, I only need 1 cable from the DP twin to get both 110/119?

Next time a tech comes out ask him if he has a legacy LNB in his van. If so, ask him to try the set up with the legacy. This next item is just a stupid shot in the dark but have you moved the 721 down to the other receiver spot (if you have mentioned this please ignore).

boy921 said:
Larry, If I have a DP twin and go to a DP34 switch, do I need two cables from the twin to the switch so I can get both 110/119? So if I use a DP21, I only need 1 cable from the DP twin to get both 110/119?

Sorry. Let me clarify:

A DP Single/Dual is a Switch. It stacks the frequencies from 1 sat location onto 1 wire.
A DP Twin is a Switch. It provides the 110/119 signals onto 1 wire to 1 tuner. If used with another switch, like a DP34, you HAVE to run BOTH wires from the Twin to the DP34 because the DP34 "Locks" the Twin's Port 1 to the 11 and Port 2 to the 110.

So, basically, you need 1 wire for EACH sat location: 110/119/129 would need 3 wires with a DP34.

A DP+Twin has a sat in port so it is almost like having a DP34 built into the DPTwin. It's basically a DP32 when used with 2 single tuner receivers and 3 sats, and a DP+32 when using 2 DP+ Dual tuner receivers.

Sounds like you're on the right track by replacing things that should be good, but...
I didn't see anywhere that you took the offending 721 somewhere else and tried it on another whole antenna setup.
(away from your house)
That would replace everything (besides the 721) at once.

Anole said:
Sounds like you're on the right track by replacing things that should be good, but...
I didn't see anywhere that you took the offending 721 somewhere else and tried it on another whole antenna setup.
(away from your house)
That would replace everything (besides the 721) at once.

I do not know anyone else with Dish.

I'm going to go ahead and get customer service back out here to replace the switch and LNB. I'll keep you posted and CEO at dish never responded. When my contract with Dish is up, I may not renew.

11/3/05 Update

2 Service techs came today. 1 from the last visit and a new one. The new tech is the "lead tech" at their headquaters. The lead tech made tech 2 go through everything he did.

The lead tech then replaced all the wires.
Ran a check switch on the 721 (see's everything)
Same problems with the 721 still occured, lost lock picture.
Goes back to the Switch Matrix and Tuner 1 will not lock on even Sat #'s.

They gave me the number of the General Manager of their center. They told me to contact him so he can authorize a swap out of the 721 of 522 or 625.

I will call him in a few minutes.

The 2 techs would not accept a tip either.

Update box 7 or 8 is next. I'm trying to get the CSR to send the box to the installer so they can come and install it themselves.

The best they could offer me is $200 for a 522 and I have to sign up for another year.

HEY THIS HAPPENED TO ME!!!!

I posted at dbsdoubletalk and they called it dish bashing!

Bad switch or LNB. Change BOTH!

the ONLY valid test for a 721 is another 721 because of software differences between 500 series and 721.

in my case my 2 508s ran perfectly on the same connections that appeared to fry 721s

I had 4 721s here at the peak.

I finally diagnosed it by putting up a second 500 dish with different dishpro LNB and ran the coax thru my doggie door. this worked fine, on all the receivers that appeared dead

Kaydigi said:
11/3/05 Update

2 Service techs came today. 1 from the last visit and a new one. The new tech is the "lead tech" at their headquaters. The lead tech made tech 2 go through everything he did.

The lead tech then replaced all the wires.
Ran a check switch on the 721 (see's everything)
Same problems with the 721 still occured, lost lock picture.
Goes back to the Switch Matrix and Tuner 1 will not lock on even Sat #'s.

They gave me the number of the General Manager of their center. They told me to contact him so he can authorize a swap out of the 721 of 522 or 625.

I will call him in a few minutes.

The 2 techs would not accept a tip either.

did they replace the switch and LNBS?

With bad troubles shotgun repair is the best approach!

Change EVERYTHING including LNBs, grounding blocks and ALL cabling. Confirm good grounding too!

Incidently this lead to my EXTRA permanent dish with LNB all wired in thru house. If anything wired occurs I merely swtch leads and go.

ERR I once had a cabling trouble on a snowey nite 15 degrees. :mad:

these days its swap cables then look at things later.

incidently a few twin LNBs had defects that caused this.

Its nice to know that nearly EVERY wierd trouble I have ever had eventually shows up elsewhere, though I feel bad for the person reporting in... :(

you have Super Dish is it 105 or 121 sat? and have you tried temperary mout with dish 500 and legacy LNB'F?

Bob Haller said:
did they replace the switch and LNBS?

With bad troubles shotgun repair is the best approach!

Change EVERYTHING including LNBs, grounding blocks and ALL cabling. Confirm good grounding too!

Incidently this lead to my EXTRA permanent dish with LNB all wired in thru house. If anything wired occurs I merely swtch leads and go.

ERR I once had a cabling trouble on a snowey nite 15 degrees. :mad:

these days its swap cables then look at things later.

incidently a few twin LNBs had defects that caused this.

Its nice to know that nearly EVERY wierd trouble I have ever had eventually shows up elsewhere, though I feel bad for the person reporting in... :(

Sorry for the delayed response.

I will demand that they replace the switch on the next return. I will give you an update.

Update, on 11/21/05, I was going to call Dish for a RMA. Something told me to check the box before calling. Box # 7 started working, I get all my channels with no problem. It's been almost a week now and still no problems.

I did a hard reset, and soft reset and no problems. I didn't change a wire or anything and I have no idea why it's working.

It is incredible that they are so willing to keep throwing techs(money,manpower,gas,time)at you but will only offer you that crappy deal to replace the receiver. I would have played harder ball but obviously you are with Dish and cant threaten to leave them-that's cool.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts