Major IPhone Flaw

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
OH, this is double ungood.

I have a computer phobe who I am to get an iPhone for, to use email. Email and cell use, that's it. I think I'd better hold off for a few days. iPhone keyboard is small, but larger than the berries. And he can use a stick on the iPhone keyboard, since he has thick fingers.

BuddyBoy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 13, 2006
SF Bay Area
This was mentioned on July 3rd on Slashdot. From what I have read, gaining access to the iPhone is theoretical, the exploit they have now just crashes the phone.

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Ah yes. Outlawing it will work against criminals and terrorists. After all, it did for prohibition, drugs, murder, etc. :rolleyes:

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Well Apple has just filed a brief saying the iPhone is too powerful a device to allow users to jailbreak them... They could bring down the cell system, be used by terriorists and drug dealers. The world could end if someone sends out a self proprogating text hack that turns all the iphones into a super bot army against the ATT death star! :eek:

DailyTech - Apple Urges Government to Outlaw iPhone Unlocking Over Terrorist, Drug Dealing Risks

Reminds me of the nokia hack from transformers 1 in the underground lab in hoover dam.:up

BuddyBoy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 13, 2006
SF Bay Area
Ah yes. Outlawing it will work against criminals and terrorists. After all, it did for prohibition, drugs, murder, etc. :rolleyes:

Murder is illegal? Oh crap, I wish I knew that 20 minutes ago. Uh, anyone know the best way to dispose of a body? Hypothetically speaking, of course. :confused:

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 16, 2007
Well Apple has just filed a brief saying the iPhone is too powerful a device to allow users to jailbreak them...
From the article:
Apple also claims that unlocking and jailbreaking also could be used to enable the alteration of the Exclusive Chip Identification number, allowing for anonymous phone calls.
Wasn't hacking phones to make free long distance calls Jobs' first hobby, before he created Apple?

Diogen.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Wasn't hacking phones to make free long distance calls Jobs' first hobby, before he created Apple?

You're thinking of his predecessor, The Woz! that was his nickname in the hacker world. He invented the Blue Box which was a second generation of the black box. The Blue box had a key pad with two sets of tone codes, one for the public dial codes and the second for the inward circuit tones. The blue box along with a list of inward circuit numbers that The Woz distributed you could make free phone calls anywhere in the world and also route that call by your own pathway.

PS- shouldn't this thread be in the phone section?

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
Well Apple has just filed a brief saying the iPhone is too powerful a device to allow users to jailbreak them... They could bring down the cell system, be used by terriorists and drug dealers. The world could end if someone sends out a self proprogating text hack that turns all the iphones into a super bot army against the ATT death star! :eek:

DailyTech - Apple Urges Government to Outlaw iPhone Unlocking Over Terrorist, Drug Dealing Risks

Doesn't take much to bring down AT&T's network. Happens here Monday-Friday at 5pm.

mperdue

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 17, 2004
McCordsville, Indiana
I personally think the people who released the hacking info are dicks. Apple had the changes in the new release that is being beta tested now. However, the release of the hack info forced them to throw together a patch that was released without being as thoroughly tested as it otherwise would have been. I would have preferred to have waited until the real release was ready but the dicks took that option away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)