Making sure it all works before calling installer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

amyo

Original poster
Apr 25, 2005
Chicago
Hi folks. I just got my gear today. I have 1 skystar2 dvb-s pci card, 1 31" dish, 1 universal single lnb, 1 SG2100 diseqc hh motor, and 1 SF-95 signal meter. I live in Chicago (far west side). I plan to call an installer to put the dish & motor on the roof of my 2 story bungalow because I'm clumsy and it's a long way down! But I'd like to make sure it all works first beforehand. The card I can test to make sure it loads its drivers etc. so that's really not a problem, it's the dish & motor I'm concerned with. Is it possible to mount it on an antenna tripod with a thick mast just to make sure it moves when commanded to? I won't be able to see any satellites due to the trees at ground level, but seeing it move would give me a sense of comfort.

I'm hoping to catch some French language programming among others. Eventually this setup will integrate into my mythtv system.

Thanks,

Amy

You can test the motor for movement - but I doubt that you would have any difficutlies with the motor.

I agree, I would not motor the dish until you are locked on your true south satellite. There is a button under the motor so its relatively easy to get back to the " 0 " position if you just HAVE to try it out. : ) I would ask the installer if he has ever done a motorized KU installation, and what kind of meter he uses. If he says he uses a small TV it's going to be a long day.

I would set up the dish without the motor to start and find/store your true south satellite as it will save you a LOAD of time at the final installation. Good Luck!

Welcome to the SatelliteGuys.US FTA forum! :wave

Thanks for the welcome. I'm specifically looking for an installer who has done one before as I'm not exactly an expert on this stuff. I know that I will have to drop by Fry's and grab a couple of grounding blocks and 2 lengths of RG6 (a 12' to go from motor to dish and a longer one to get into the house); and I need to determine my true south & satellite locations etc. but having an experienced installer would probably make the whole thing easier on both of us.

Additionally I don't have a receiver with blind search; just the skystar2 card, so I need to get comfortable with progdvb or mytheatre to start with. Eventually this'll go into a linux box and be part of my mythtv setup, but
for now I think the windows progs will be easier. I did put the card in a linux system yesterday just to make sure the drivers loaded and the card came up.

Any other things I should acquire for the install or things I should know, I'll appreciate hearing. Thanks again for your hospitality.

Amy

No, not those fries! :) Fry's, otherwise known as the best thing short of the online mall.

So it looks like AMC-3 would be my true south satellite?

I'm at 41.84N 87.8W and a declimation of 2 degrees W.

How much do I need to worry about elevation given that this is going to be on a motor?

What do I do with the declimation?

Any tips on finding a good installer?

Sorry so many questions, this is all brand new to me.

Amy

AMC-3 works as your true south satellite.

http://www.lyngsat.com/amc3.html

All the angles for the motor will be in the manual, again I would suggest not installing the motor to start, I would find and store AMC-3 first as it will help speed up the motor installation, maybe check the below link for installers in your area. Always ask if they have done a motorized KU install before and what kind of meter they will use, dont let them learn on your time!

www.dbsinstall.com

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts