Man, am I the only one that feels a little let down ?

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
I wish I could articulate as well as some of you in this group but I can't, so I'll say it flat out. If this is it - the big Dish announcments we've been waiting for and they're done, then I am really disappointed - angry even.

After all the HD related talk "E" has done via Chats, responses to our emails, information passed to the various forum mods, etc, this is what it sounds like they're really saying:

1. For everyone that invested relativly big $$ in Dish HD receivers recently your reward is you're not going to get ANY new HD unless you're willing to bend over and let us do it again with another new HD receiver.

2. The quality of the HD programming you thought you were signing on to when you invested these $$ has been downgraded and you're just going to have to live less than what we showed you to lure you in.

3. We know we've caused a lot of confusion and speculation over recent weeks with all the uplink activity but that was really just our way of insuring we got your attention here at the CES show.

4. And as for the rate increases, well we need that to help offset the cost of subsidizing new customers to the MPEG4 format.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun here but unless there's more coming, I'm feeling like Charlie Brown after Lucy's lifted the football away again.:(

IMO: There is just not enough real info to make me feel one way or the other at this point. Things we don't know yet.

1. What Dish will offer to existing customers for receiver/equipment upgrades.

2. What the final resolution of the new HD channels will be.

3. Whether they will mirror the new HD on 61.5.

I'm taking a wait and see approach, not that I have much choice given my alternatives...Lousy cable with no HD, No OTA and DirecTv who has already proven they are no friend to HD.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
IMO: There is just not enough real info to make me feel one way or the other at this point. Things we don't know yet.
1. What Dish will offer to existing customers for receiver/equipment upgrades.
2. What the final resolution of the new HD channels will be.
3. Whether they will mirror the new HD on 61.5.
I'm taking a wait and see approach, not that I have much choice given my alternatives...Lousy cable with no HD, No OTA and DirecTv who has already proven they are no friend to HD.
NightRyder

I was going to say how let down I was too until I read NightRyder's post. I guess we'll have to wait and see how badly we're screwed.

Oh I guess you're right, we really have to wait and see.:hungry:

I don't mean to sound so cynical, it's just this funny feeling in the pit of my stomach. :river

I mean it's not like "E" has ever tried to leave their high tier existing customers out in the cold or anything.

Ok, ok, I'll stop.:sleeo ..........................................................................................
.........but what about when they................................................and then there's the time................never mind, I'll shut up and go home now.:shh

I just can't understand why Dish pulls this crap and can't bother to explain themselves or provide information as to how they are going to take care of us existing customers. I own my own 811 and currently only have a Dish 500. To receive ESPN2-HD I'll have to shell out money to get a 211/411 as well as either a Dish 1000 or another dish and a DP44. Shell out bigger bucks to get what I really want a HD DVR. What I've seen the only thing talked about for the 622 is the lease option with $299 up front. HD pack goes up $10, lease fee for 622 is probably $5 and DVR fee of at least $5, means my bill goes up $20. :confused:

waltinvt said:

I don't mean to sound so cynical, it's just this funny feeling in the pit of my stomach. :river

I mean it's not like "E" has ever tried to leave their high tier existing customers out in the cold or anything.

Ok, ok, I'll stop.:sleeo ..........................................................................................
.........but what about when they................................................and then there's the time................never mind, I'll shut up and go home now.:shh

Walt, I was really hoping E* would light up the HD-DNS today too. Looks like another SuperBowl in blur-a-vision. :(

NightRyder

waltinvt said:

New subs will get the opportunity to start signing on with new equipment on February 1st. Existing subs will be able to purchase a 622 anytime after February 1st. There will be no talk of an upgrade plan for existing subs at the CC next week. In the end, existing subs will not have the opportunity to upgrade via a lease until sometime in late March - May. Then the price will be $299 for everyone no matter what. Unfortunately this is what will happen.

jimboeau said:
New subs will get the opportunity to start signing on with new equipment on February 1st. Existing subs will be able to purchase a 622 anytime after February 1st. There will be no talk of an upgrade plan for existing subs at the CC next week. In the end, existing subs will not have the opportunity to upgrade via a lease until sometime in late March - May. Then the price will be $299 for everyone no matter what. Unfortunately this is what will happen.
I assume this is shear speculation?

So let me get this straight, price is going up for the 120 package, and then HD package is also going up, but get this the Voom we have now will stay HD lite for atleast another month?

Does anyone know if Voom will stay at HDlite and if the new MPEG 4 Voom will also be HDlite? What about the espn2 an that other HD station?

IM lost about the billing too, my HD version better not go up cause im getting less with hdlite and cant get the rest of HD cause im not MPEG 4 capable.

jimboeau said:
This seems better than D* that is moving to "allow" their subs to pay per program???:rolleyes:
Beginning in March, DirecTV Plus users will get a "first look" at primetime series from FX 24-48 hours prior to their initial broadcasts for $2.99 apiece, the direct-broadcast satellite provider said.

I for one would rather pay a one time upgrade fee, and nothing is for free....

How many of you HD subscribers bought TVs that cost upwards of $2,000? I have a little bit of an issue with you who are complaining about the cost of upgrading to a "state of the art" MPEG4 HD receiver. By the way have any of you done any research as to how much money it costs either of the DBS services to put all of this together. We probably won't live long enough to see them actually make a profit considering how much money they are investing in each customer just to install and furnish the "leased" equipment!

Look on the bright side, you guys don't subscribe to Directv like I do. At least Dish is trying. What was Directv's big announcement? I can pay 3 bucks for a show I can watch two days later for nothing. No, I can watch other people play video games. No, that's not it. Wait, I can watch people try to get dates. You have to be kidding me. The only thing keeping me from switching is the NFL package. Sooner or later, I'll give up the NFL for Dish. D* better get off their holier than thou butts real quick. I thought when Rupert took over things would be great. So far they are not.

slick50 said:
How many of you HD subscribers bought TVs that cost upwards of $2,000? I have a little bit of an issue with you who are complaining about the cost of upgrading to a "state of the art" MPEG4 HD receiver. By the way have any of you done any research as to how much money it costs either of the DBS services to put all of this together. We probably won't live long enough to see them actually make a profit considering how much money they are investing in each customer just to install and furnish the "leased" equipment!
I spent over $2K for my HDTV, but I have received about 4 years of trouble-free service from it. Slightly less than two years ago I spent $1K for a "state of the art" MPEG2 HD-DVR...the infamous 921. I think I have a right to complain a bit...and to be just a bit gun-shy.

slick50 said:

Uh slick, before you come here bashing people for being able to afford a $2,000 TV you might want to do a little research. Most of us don't bitch and moan for no reason. HDTV's range anywhere from $300 to $10,000. We complain when we feel that we are being taken advantage of.

BTW, many of us do know how much Dish spends and how much profit they make. Last quarter Dish made a profit of $208,900,000.

Dish Network is not going to invest all of this money into MPEG-4 without anything in return. They will probably force those that want more HD to take a minimal higher package once you go to the new MPEG-4 receiver. They will see that as a payment for their investment.

I enjoy my HD and the sound that comes with all of it. However I feel that they are pricing themselves out of the reach of the average man. I know everything is not free but I had to save in order to pruchase my equipment and with all these prices going up I dont know who much more my budget can take.

slick50 said:
When you have people who bought a 942 30 day ago for $700.00 is not complaining,It's a real reason to be mad at Dish,Some people could have money to trash a way but common sense says not everyone will do that.:mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)