RandallA

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
From the Tech. Portal:

12/21/2005: 1256 Software Version L2.59 for DVR625 and DVR522

Effective Thursday, December 22nd, Engineering plans to spool a PARTIAL PHASE of software version L2.59 for the DVR625 receiver. This is primarily a non-forced maintenance release available at ALL satellite locations.
  • XDS Support - Extended Data Service (XDS) Allows any receiver with compatible software to communicate to an external recording device such as a PocketDISH and record to it like a vcr.
At this time L2.58 and L2.59 will be valid software versions for the DVR625 and DVR522.

will this download automatically when the receiver upgrades at night or do you need to do something special. i have the pocketdish i hope it will work like they say,

Updating Software on 522/625
Verify signal from Point Dish:
Press the Menu button on the remote
Select System Setup from the Main Menu.
Select Installation from the System Setup Menu.
Select Point Dish from the Installation Menu.
Verify the signal bar is green and indicates "Locked".
Power the receiver off with the remote for 15 minutes to take the download.

But it means the USB port is enabled and it talks about extended devices SUCH as pocket dish. Like on the 942, people hooked up digital cameras and such. They also took the cards or memory out of the cameras and put it in a memory stick and it recognized it as a external storage device. Well a external harddrive is actually nothing different. Did nobody ever try to connect a USB harddrive to their 942, to see if it will recognize it the same way as it did with a memory stick?
pA pocket dish can be connected to a PC also and the PC will handle it as a external storage device. It should be working the other way around.

I wonder if we'll finally get the features talked about in the last tech forum? Features like the ability to re-name recored events and delete recorded event history.

Getting rid of audio/video glitches would be nice too . . . maybe a Christmas miracle. Hey, I can dream can't I.

I wonder if someone could put software on an external hard drive or laptop that will allow it to recognize it as if it was a memory card or pocketdish to where you could download your content that way. I am sure someone will write some program for it.

There's only one way to find out, wait until you get the new software and try it. I still believe that E* will not allow us to use an external hard drive but it's worth a try.

Damn! I just hope it quits with the "your hard drive has a fatal error" message that 2.58 has been dishing out!! Maybe I could quite forewarning new customers about the issue.

bweiteka said:
Damn! I just hope it quits with the "your hard drive has a fatal error" message that 2.58 has been dishing out!! Maybe I could quite forewarning new customers about the issue.

Your Hard Drive:
toast-copy-copy.jpg

I tried it unsucessfully today, one thing I think this receiver needs is a VCR driver. I spoke with Dish support (again) about frequent audio drop and pixellation in playback and they said it's a software bug and they are working on a patch. I think they made a bunch of 'em down in Mexico with inferior hard drives and they don't have enough good ones to replace them with. Just a theory. Call me crazy. :confused: :confused:

downriver said:
I spoke with Dish support (again) about frequent audio drop and pixellation in playback and they said it's a software bug and they are working on a patch. I think they made a bunch of 'em down in Mexico with inferior hard drives and they don't have enough good ones to replace them with. Just a theory. Call me crazy. :confused: :confused:
At least they admit it is a problem with the 522 receiver. I lost count of how many times I complained about audio drops only to have them say it was because the antenna wasn't properly grounded or some other stupid explanation.

I agree it probably is a problem with the HDD or some other hardware problem. Dish probably won't do anything about it except continue to charge you a shipping fee to replace your receiver when the CSR gets to the last section of their diagnostic script. :rolleyes:

downriver said:
I think they made a bunch of 'em down in Mexico with inferior hard drives and they don't have enough good ones to replace them with. Just a theory. Call me crazy. :confused: :confused:

Hey crazy! You're right, nothing worse than mexican hard drives. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts