Need Repair for 9242 and 6131 Satellite Receivers

The problem could be the computer power supply not being able to keep up with any extra load you I would use heat on the caps of the power supply and see if that helps you may be getting too much AC ripple on your 5 Volt DC which will cause all kinds of crazy things to happen There is more then one 5 volt DC line, use heat on all the caps in the power supply and see if all your issues go away then use cold to screw it up as a test
Hard to say as one of the reasons with PC Power & Cooling Power Supplies are expensive is it delivers the actual current of 450Watts on all the rails at the same time under full load since this is a $500 power supply while other brands usually can deliver less when under load which is why they sell for $150 or less and this is the one where I replaced all the caps with good ones. Remember the video card had external power that somehow got disconnected on it's own for 6+ months so it could also be that the GPU itself or other components died from the heat as the fan on the video card was no longer running for all that time as this machine is 24/7/365. Ofcourse it's possible it's the PSU is having problems again but the better way is just to use my other video cards which are literally almost the same model as this is just a FX5900 instead of the FX5950 currently in it, the FX5950 is just a slightly newer FX5900. I have an entire thread from 2014 on replacing the capacitors on the PSU in question at:
It looks like the PSU was the original model from before 2002 as the newer version had the Pentium 4 connector which mines does not have, when I referenced another post on neowin.net I made since it seems like I was the only one ever to talk about this model PSU on the internet. But basically, the two times the PSU failed, first time was fixed under warranty and the second time was in 2014 when I fixed it. Each time, the symptoms were the computer would work fine and then the PSU would shut off without warning similar to a disconnect of the wall outlet and there would be a big burnt smell.

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell