Man Arrested/Charged for Satellite Piracy

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Because the RCMP is involved, I'm guessing that importing and/or possessing DIRECTV or DISH receivers in Canada is probably what that part of the charge is. It's not necessarily piracy, rather its just against Canadian federal law to have or use such equipment.

Reminds me or counterfeit DVDs. How can people stand giving their money to these crooks? Are people really so gullible or just cheap?

...It's not necessarily piracy, rather its just against Canadian federal law to have or use such equipment.
It was piracy: sharing of unpaid for programming. Which programming he stole is unimportant. I don't understand why members on this thread are trying to soften the fact that this guy was stealing. His actions hurt every legitimate FTA user and FTA business since the public confuses our legal FTA activity with what jerks like this do.

I think that "sharing" is the key point. Personally, I believe that anything I receive from the sky is legitimate to watch and listen to, BUT it's not legitimate to re-distribute the signal . Then it becomes a conspiracy to defraud, at the least. I worry that our FTA watching of signals NOT intended for end user consumption will one day be illegal, if we don't keep on our toes with our legislators. We need to keep a line in the sand drawn between our individual right to view, versus sharing and re-transmission issues.

Why is "anything received from the sky legitimate to watch"? This may seem logical at first thought, but that's only because much of what can be received from the sky is distributed for purposes of free consumption. But everything that can be received from the sky is not in that category. Think of a physical supermarket. Some free samples are provided for customers to try out. But most of what's in a physical store is only for purchase. You would not take the items for sale from a physical store and expect them to be free. You would not pass those stolen goods around to friends for free. Just because the sky happens to be the medium of distribution doesn't make stealing product any different than stealing from a physical store without paying.

The air waves are free; the content placed there is not free. There is no "right to view" anything. That product was put into the sky at great cost and the owner deserves to be compensated as anyone selling product does.

To be clear, I think the price placed on these sky goods is outrageous. And that's why I don't buy them. But I don't steal them either, for my own use, or for anybody else to use for free.

No I think you are wrong.

If its up there and in the clear you have every right to tune it in. But if its scrambled and your working to unscramble it then that is where you are breaking the law.

There is LOTS of great Free to Air satellite television up there to watch and all of it legal to watch in your home.

Say I am a dish sub and have one receiver. (Lets say i send that ird off to canada to get the boxkey read)

I then buy a N3 cam for my openbox/rs1933 etc...

I enter the boxkey into the cam and insert the smartcard. I am watching what i pay for on my own hardware.

Any thing wrong with that?

We agree exactly. You said it more precisely and correctly. I meant to compare scrambled signals with product for pay in stores. As long as signals are not intended to be sold, it is OK to view them for free.

EVEN IF YOU HAVE A KEY, if you come onto my property, without permission, you may get shot! (And I will say, probably not by me...). And the sign on the gate on the private road says, "Trespassers will be violated, survivors will be prosecuted."

Encryption is the lock on the gate. Groceries in a private store are not free, but on a table at the side of the road, just might be. In the back of a semi, on a public road - you had better not take them, either.... unless the person in charge is handing them out.

Posession is Nine Tenths of the Law

If the signals land on my property which I own and which I pay taxes on, I feel like I have some sort of right, legal or not, to those signals even if they are scrambled. The problem comes when people unscramble and re-sell the signals: those are the crooks.

Anyway, it seems like the scrambled signals are encrypted pretty well these days. If you get into key sharing you might as well shout from the rooftop "I'm stealing! My IP address is....".

Status
Please reply by conversation.